Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Shouldn't you be using a deflation calculator.
No.

Do I need to tell you how silly that is? Alas I suppose I do...

Any calculator for real dollars will include periods where inflation either does not rise or falls negatively. Using a number of real dollar calculators the figures where relatively the same, the only variable being the one that I cited because it used CPI figures for 2010 the others did not crunch as many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:45 PM

52,543 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just out of curiosity I decided to see just how much gas cost.

In 1972 when I bought my first car, gas cost .97¢ a gallon. Based upon inflation that same gallon of gas should cost me $5.11.

It would appear that Obama has another $1.11 cents to play with before he raises the price gas above what it was in the good old days.

Inflation Calculator: Money’s Real Worth Over Time | Coin News
are you sure about that? the arab oil embargo didn't happen until '73.

an interesting chart: http://www.cato.org/images/pubs/pub6440.jpg

Old 03-16-2011, 12:45 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,787,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just out of curiosity I decided to see just how much gas cost.

In 1972 when I bought my first car, gas cost .97¢ a gallon. Based upon inflation that same gallon of gas should cost me $5.11.

It would appear that Obama has another $1.11 cents to play with before he raises the price gas above what it was in the good old days.

Inflation Calculator: Money’s Real Worth Over Time | Coin News
You don't even need to go that far back. I remember towards the end of the Clinton presidency gas was $1-$1.05 a gallon and about $1.25 once bush took over.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because it doesn't exist.

Another blame Obama thread from Sanrene.

What a huge surprise.
A real surprise would be a thread where they defended Obama. I might actually do a double take if I saw that. I might also **** my pants.

My 1970 ford cost 3 K in 1970. It had 1000 dollars worth of options, making it 4K. Since that time, all car prices have went up. Obviously, this is Obama's fault. He is the Time Lord of Economics. Here's a picture. Looks just like this. Same color and everything.

http://www.torinocobra.com/images/page8and9.jpg

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM

33,513 posts, read 37,057,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Really, is there any doubt this guy is trying to make good on his past comments and promises? Like, driving up energy costs....reducing our oil consumption....hoping to see gas @ $4+/gallon?

The $4-Per-Gallon President | Facebook

Exhibit A-C - his illegal moratorium, his 2012 budget and his anti-business, anti-drilling regulatory policies (trying to get through the backdoor, what he can't through the front - Congress).

Sarah Palin Rips Obama on Drilling: '2012 Can't Come Soon Enough' - The Note

Even before the meltdown in the ME, we saw an unprecedented attack on our domestic energy interests from this president. The 30 year obstruction by the Left/dems is paying off in spades finally.
Quit yer whining...Gas here is 4.75 and I don't hear anybody whining about it, much less blaming our prime minister...You must expect Obama to be some kind of god, because you blame him for everything.

News flash for ya...Obama has no control over oil prices.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:56 PM

68,300 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because it doesn't exist.

Another blame Obama thread from Sanrene.

What a huge surprise.
Isn't it tho? Next thing ya know the sun's going to rise in the east or something equally bizarre

Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times
They just want Obama to make everything OK.

Just that one. small. thing.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
A real surprise would be a thread where they defended Obama. I might actually do a double take if I saw that. I might also **** my pants.

My 1970 ford cost 3 K in 1970. It had 1000 dollars worth of options, making it 4K. Since that time, all car prices have went up. Obviously, this is Obama's fault. He is the Time Lord of Economics. Here's a picture. Looks just like this. Same color and everything.

http://www.torinocobra.com/images/page8and9.jpg

So, the TARDIS effect makes pretty much everything past and present his fault.

Well, THAT makes everything easier.

BTW, sweet car.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
are you sure about that? the arab oil embargo didn't happen until '73.

an interesting chart: http://www.cato.org/images/pubs/pub6440.jpg
Yes, that is an interesting chart. Take todays dollar and look at it from past dollar purchasing power. Interesting although the results are the same while the figures are not.

As for the price of gas, I am absolutely certain because when I got back for oversees I promptly went to the Porsche dealership and bought me one and then drove it from San Diego to my new duty station in New London CT where I arrived in time for the oil embargo. Being from California I had sworn that I would never buy gas that cost more than a dollar, I was soon dissuaded in the belief.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:07 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
They just want Obama to make everything OK.

Just that one. small. thing.

but..but..but...

They want smaller government....

sh** now I'm confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies