U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:05 AM

5,645 posts, read 3,982,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I just came from a demonstration at the captial building in Lansing, Michigan. The premise that children are being exploited is garbage in it's purest form.

What chidren are being taught is how to stand up for their rights and speak out when they see government being used to take advantage and exploit working people.

That's not a lesson that is going to get taught in any school classroom.
That's all based on a false premise. None of these union idiots are being exploited, having their rights taken away or being taken advantage of.

And you're right, it's not a lesson that is going to get taught in a classroom, it should be taught at home by the parents, not by some teacher dragging the kids to the capitol building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 AM

6,123 posts, read 5,170,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
That's all based on a false premise. None of these union idiots are being exploited, having their rights taken away or being taken advantage of.

And you're right, it's not a lesson that is going to get taught in a classroom, it should be taught at home by the parents, not by some teacher dragging the kids to the capitol building.
How many parents teach their kids anything about civics anymore? I know it is not taught in school like it used to be. When our kids were young, DH took them to Washington, D.C., our state capitol, even to our county courthouse, and they got an up front mini lesson about the branches of our government - federal, state, and local. A month before she became voting age, we took our youngest to a "town hall", and she found it very informative. I took her to visit the courtroom of one of our county judges that I knew pretty well, and he took time to explain to her and answer her questions about the justice system, court hearings, juries, sentencing, etc.

All politics aside, if you don't want your kids "exploited", teach them all you can about our government, and let them think for themselves.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 AM

85,053 posts, read 99,058,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I'm sorry in my opinion only, children this age, don't forn their own opinions yet really about politics. They have opinions based on what they learn and here from their parents.

I am glad the children get to expereince freedom and our democracy up close and personal, but think they become protesters, on the backs of their Parents. Don't think truly at this age they completley understand why they are there, their Parents are reason they are there.

Some look like little robots.
I agree, and I don't like it when any group takes their kids along as a "object lesson". This includes the Tea Partiers, RWNJs, anti-war protesters, etc. However, many people, on all places on the political contiuum, seem to feel that the presence of kids is a sort of "out of the mouths of babes" POV.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
How many parents teach their kids anything about civics anymore? I know it is not taught in school like it used to be. When our kids were young, DH took them to Washington, D.C., our state capitol, even to our county courthouse, and they got an up front mini lesson about the branches of our government - federal, state, and local. A month before she became voting age, we took our youngest to a "town hall", and she found it very informative. I took her to visit the courtroom of one of our county judges that I knew pretty well, and he took time to explain to her and answer her questions about the justice system, court hearings, juries, sentencing, etc.

All politics aside, if you don't want your kids "exploited", teach them all you can about our government, and let them think for themselves.
It's amazing to me what people "know" about what's going on in schools these days. The course is now called "government", and is required freshman year in my school district.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,729,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm neutral, just pointing out the hypocrisy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Ok, got my laugh for the day.
No doubt!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 AM

19,489 posts, read 13,225,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
How nice. Leading little kids (look to be about 3rd grade) in chants for political causes these little kids couldn't possibly understand.

"Hey Hey Ho Ho, Scott Walker has got to go!"

"This is what Democracy Looks Like!"

"Children United Can Never Be Divided!"

This is pitiful to use innocent children this way.

Wisconsin Protesters Teach Kids to Chant Against Gov. Walker | The Blaze

But I guess its part of the lesson plan forced on schools by the unions!
Lenin’s Lesson Plan: Wisconsin Teachers’ Union Indoctrination of Schoolchildren | LaborUnionReport.com

"Wisconsin schools will be required to teach the history of organized labor under a bill signed by Gov. Jim Doyle.
The bill Doyle signed Thursday also requires Wisconsin schools to teach the history of collective bargaining.
The proposal has been around for years but never passed. This year it cleared the Democratic controlled Legislature despite opposition from school boards and administrators who said they didn’t want the curriculum micromanaged.
Labor unions supported the bill."
Mm, mmm, mm!
Barack Hussein Obama
He said that all must lend a hand
To make this country strong again
Mmm, mmm, mm!
Barack Hussein Obama

Lyrics: Songs About President Obama - FoxNews.com

Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 AM

6,123 posts, read 5,170,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's amazing to me what people "know" about what's going on in schools these days. The course is now called "government", and is required freshman year in my school district.

We had more than only one year of it (early 70's). Also, there's nothing wrong with parents giving some extracurricular instruction on any subject. You can only learn so much from a text book.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,570,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Is this similar to having young kids carry billboards of fetuses to anti-choice rallys?
Is this like taking kids to teabag events?

Or is it only exploitation because you don't agree with the cause?

taking children to an event is one thing, having them chant to a political idea or politician is something else.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We had more than only one year of it (early 70's). Also, there's nothing wrong with parents giving some extracurricular instruction on any subject. You can only learn so much from a text book.
In the late 60s, we had one course in "Civics", in 9th grade. This was in Pennsylvania, that liberal den of iniquity. We also took a course senior year called "Problems of Democracy" (the shame, to acknowledge there are problems, eh?). I was posting about what was taught in the schools. Of course, parents should supplement that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
taking children to an event is one thing, having them chant to a political idea or politician is something else.
LOL, the old "that's different" excuse. Do you think those kids at the Tea Parties, holding signs they weren't old enough to read, let alone understand, knew what they were doing? Were they not being exploited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies