U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:36 PM

6,652 posts, read 7,114,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
I'm glad too, this was my first country concert, and it was a huge crowd so if I had any problems I'd be very outnumbered. To answer your question, I usually look at situations in a neutral to positive way. I keep my eyes open, but don't go out of my way to look for anything.

Could be, but I'm also referring to situations with old whites showing up in a hood barber shop.

It's funny how everyone thinks you're a cop. It's a good highlight of many Blacks' experiences with police. But I'm glad your experiences are positive once the cop thing is out of the picture.

I'm a fan of folks who break stereotypes, I believe you and I would get along very well.
Country is one style I have not been able to get into, unless it is old school bluegrass style. But seeing just about any music live is fun.

Regarding the Barbershop issue, could it be that old whites are stereotyped as racists? Percentage wise they do have a higher number of racists.

I am sure we would get along, first off we are two of the few people here who aren't name calling and arguing.

What is your view on the Drug war, do you feel it adds to race issues? I do, I think it has been one of the major downfalls of the last century.

I think this guy did a great straight to the heart reason for ending it.

Fox Business Video - FoxBusiness.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:11 PM

28,962 posts, read 15,523,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
(Jefferson Davis) as the President of the confederacy, and attacked Federal Forts weeks before Abraham Lincoln took the office.

They were not US Federal Forts. They were property of the Confederate States of America.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:17 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,001,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They were not US Federal Forts. They were property of the Confederate States of America.
Just as the billions belonged to Madoff.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,001,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Because racists needed the protection of government to legalize force on peaceful individuals.
And how exactly would that have changed on its own? For that matter, how much did it change on its own, without government intervention against it?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And how exactly would that have changed on its own? For that matter, how much did it change on its own, without government intervention against it?
I imagine it would have been gradual in some areas but others would have changed due to changing attitudes.

If a store said "no blacks" and a black went in, I would be against the use of force to have him removed (that is what the laws did, legalize and institutionalize force). But I still say I would like to know if that owner felt that way.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,416,576 times
Quote:
Because racists needed the protection of government to legalize force on peaceful individuals.
And when Federal Government gets axed out of that job, then comes in the media outlets to socially enforce and falsely justify the segregation of races.

Results:

-Black shows, movies, and commercials where they're portrayed as blackface minstrel stereotypes
-"Black" channels/shows where this is perpetuated (BET, UPN primetime, nearly anything that comes out of Viacom)
-Music that does the exact same thing (modern day rap and hip-pop)
-Shows and movies that are 90% white, 10% Asian, and commercials where the black person is only halfway into the screen and is a blatant stereotype (Ebonics accent, Aunt Jemima clone, etc)
-Stereotypes who are literally PAID (with Federal Gov't entitlements) to just be embarrassments for all blacks in front of every damn city!

Point is we have plenty of "forces" that enforce the segregation of races, specifically segregation of blacks from everyone else. So according to the libertarian philosophy, how about the blacks who want to integrate and let go of the "ethnic label." Apparently, there's no problem giving that leniency for Asians, Cubans, Jews, and Middle Easterners (at least prior to 9/11) I don't see the US Gov't giving amnesty passes for non ghetto/westernized blacks to go to Canada/UK/Australia/New Zealand, countries where a black person is seen as "just another citizen" and allow themselves to start a new life as a true free person.

I believe in true libertarian principles of allowing those who want to live their lives as they please. But outside of a few Western States, it's just not going to happen throughout the country as a whole. Either you'll have liberals and neocons who will cause division between all sorts of groups or you'll have false libertarians who are just bitter populists who just want to "take back their country"....back to the last decade (the 1950s) where their race had legal superiority.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,586,827 times
Quote:
Country is one style I have not been able to get into, unless it is old school bluegrass style. But seeing just about any music live is fun.

Regarding the Barbershop issue, could it be that old whites are stereotyped as racists? Percentage wise they do have a higher number of racists.

I am sure we would get along, first off we are two of the few people here who aren't name calling and arguing.

What is your view on the Drug war, do you feel it adds to race issues? I do, I think it has been one of the major downfalls of the last century.

I think this guy did a great straight to the heart reason for ending it.

Fox Business Video - FoxBusiness.com
Good afternoon,

I love Stossel, I watch his show often, since it's one of the few true libertarian shows on TV. I really enjoyed the guest's straightforward explanation for drug legalization. I agree with almost everything said in the video and am in support of marijuana decriminalization and regulation. I'm not completely sold on all drugs being legalized until I do more research. Maybe I'd be for other drug legalization if less potent doses were sold over the counter and VERY HARSH penalties were levied for people who committed crimes while under the influence.

In regards to the drug war, yes it does tangentially add to race issues, since Black males are blamed for high crime, and most Black male-related crime stems from drug issues, which are tied with gang and gun crimes. Ironically, one of the past reasons for making drugs illegal was blamed the supposed negative effects drugs had on Blacks and Mexicans, who were as a group a lot more peaceful before the War on Drugs began.

In regards to old whites in the barbershop, I have no clue except maybe they're "fish out of water".

Take care.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:34 PM

12,087 posts, read 9,599,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The constitution didn't do that until the 14th amendment, after the war.

Just because you repeat a lie enough, does not mean its true.

Wrong, dead wrong. Not a lie. Read this:

Section 10 - Powers prohibited of States
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.
No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.
No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
And when Federal Government gets axed out of that job, then comes in the media outlets to socially enforce and falsely justify the segregation of races.

Results:

-Black shows, movies, and commercials where they're portrayed as blackface minstrel stereotypes
-"Black" channels/shows where this is perpetuated (BET, UPN primetime, nearly anything that comes out of Viacom)
-Music that does the exact same thing (modern day rap and hip-pop)
-Shows and movies that are 90% white, 10% Asian, and commercials where the black person is only halfway into the screen and is a blatant stereotype (Ebonics accent, Aunt Jemima clone, etc)
-Stereotypes who are literally PAID (with Federal Gov't entitlements) to just be embarrassments for all blacks in front of every damn city!

Point is we have plenty of "forces" that enforce the segregation of races, specifically segregation of blacks from everyone else. So according to the libertarian philosophy, how about the blacks who want to integrate and let go of the "ethnic label." Apparently, there's no problem giving that leniency for Asians, Cubans, Jews, and Middle Easterners (at least prior to 9/11) I don't see the US Gov't giving amnesty passes for non ghetto/westernized blacks to go to Canada/UK/Australia/New Zealand, countries where a black person is seen as "just another citizen" and allow themselves to start a new life as a true free person.

I believe in true libertarian principles of allowing those who want to live their lives as they please. But outside of a few Western States, it's just not going to happen throughout the country as a whole. Either you'll have liberals and neocons who will cause division between all sorts of groups or you'll have false libertarians who are just bitter populists who just want to "take back their country"....back to the last decade (the 1950s) where their race had legal superiority.
I am a little confused, are you saying we should bring back Jim Crow laws and forced Segregation? Those were the laws I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

I love Stossel, I watch his show often, since it's one of the few true libertarian shows on TV. I really enjoyed the guest's straightforward explanation for drug legalization. I agree with almost everything said in the video and am in support of marijuana decriminalization and regulation. I'm not completely sold on all drugs being legalized until I do more research. Maybe I'd be for other drug legalization if less potent doses were sold over the counter and VERY HARSH penalties were levied for people who committed crimes while under the influence.

In regards to the drug war, yes it does tangentially add to race issues, since Black males are blamed for high crime, and most Black male-related crime stems from drug issues, which are tied with gang and gun crimes. Ironically, one of the past reasons for making drugs illegal was blamed the supposed negative effects drugs had on Blacks and Mexicans, who were as a group a lot more peaceful before the War on Drugs began.

In regards to old whites in the barbershop, I have no clue except maybe they're "fish out of water".

Take care.
Good evening!

Stossel does do good work, he seems to focus more on the positive solutions of freedom as opposed to Beck and other so called libertarians.

I understand the concern about legalizing all drugs but I do feel it needs to be done. I really prefer to call it Re-regulating, since it is under no regulation currently.

As it is now no one can be punished for selling bad drugs (unless they get caught) but pharmacies would ensure purity. It would immediately de-fund gangs and drug cartels, that would far out way the negatives in my opinion. I do agree about penalties for crimes.

If you want to have some fun, look up some of the congressional reports back when they were passing the drug laws, they were very honest about their targets. Here is a good article from the New York Times
NEGRO COCAINE "FIENDS" NEW SOUTHERN MENACE New York Times, Sunday February 8, 1914 Negro Cocaine Fiends - New Southern Menace - NYT February 8, 1914

Crazy stuff!

Have a good evening.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,304,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wrong, dead wrong. Not a lie. Read this:

Section 10 - Powers prohibited of States
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.
No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.
No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.
They weren't states when they entered the confederation.

They left the union, THEN formed the confederacy.

Leaving the union was a power granted to the states because the constitution didn't prohibit it. In fact it didn't mention it, and under the 10th amendment, if its not mentioned as a federal power, its not theirs to wield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies