Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM

23,841 posts, read 24,087,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I do believe that Mythbusters have proven that yapping on a cellphone (hands-free and hands-on) was actually worse than driving while at/near the legal limit alcohol-wise... At least for conversations that required the talker to use brain power.
Mythbusters?

I like the show and all, but a couple of special effects guys are NOT the ultimate authority on... anything. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I can often tell when someone in a car ahead of or near me is yapping on a handheld phone. They drive a little slower, they tend to weave slightly from side to side, and do not signal when changing lanes (because they don't have a spare hand to activate the indicator)

With a little observation and practice, you too will be able to pick up this important recognition skill and avoid these *******s.

Not only do they drive slow, but they can't maintain a constant speed. They will go from 10 under the speed limit to 10 over.

Whenever I see people driving like this is they are either using their cell phones or intoxicated.

BTW, driving a vehicle is a privilege not a right.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 AM

43 posts, read 18,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Not only do they drive slow, but they can't maintain a constant speed. They will go from 10 under the speed limit to 10 over.

Whenever I see people driving like this is they are either using their cell phones or intoxicated.

BTW, driving a vehicle is a privilege not a right.
You mean driving it legally is a right, right?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alialejandro View Post
You mean driving it legally is a right, right?
Driving is a privilege not a right. Read your handbook. If you are legally within the boundaries to legally drive you are ALLOWED to drive with the privilege to be revoked whenever neccessary. IE..you are caught driving under the influence, too many traffic violations, blindness, too young, too old, etc.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Mythbusters?

I like the show and all, but a couple of special effects guys are NOT the ultimate authority on... anything. Sorry.
It's also proven in numerous scientific studies that a large majority of people experience what is called "inattentional blindness" when using a cellphone and attempting to do even the most basic things like walking.

If you ever get a chance to read through it, here's a good study.

Edit to add: That fun little study also mentions previous studies on cellphone-using-drivers against other distractions like a second person the car or listening to the radio. It also mentions the actual scientific study on drunk vs cellphone-using-drivers.

And texting? Even worse than all of them.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-17-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
AT&T The Last Text Documentary

My child will watch this tonight.

I am pretty sure she knows better but, she is a kid.
Texting while driving is stupid, but at the same time laws against it seem to be completely unenforceable...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I think teenagers caught texting while driving should be publicly tasered in front of their entire school.

Then randomly select some more from the audience and taser them too, just to make sure they get the point.
Personally I am not for public tasering when it comes to things like texting while driving. I'm likewise against tar and feathering. On the other hand, I'm not sure about running someone out of town on a rail. I guess that would be okay.

Anyway, a friend of mine will only text when he drives after consuming several alcoholic beverages. He says that one will cancel out the other and make him a normal driver. Naturally I'm skeptical. This is the same guy who thought that chain smoking would nullify the negative effects of working with asbestos. On the other hand, there's the "power of positive thinking". Maybe a government study is needed.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:15 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But if someone is texting and driving, and causes no harm to anyone or anything else, that shouldn't be against the law.
Couldn't you say the same about drinking and driving, then? Plenty of people have been prosecuted for DUI without hurting a fly.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Couldn't you say the same about drinking and driving, then? Plenty of people have been prosecuted for DUI without hurting a fly.
If you read the thread, I already said that I think the DUI laws are wrong.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:35 PM

513 posts, read 580,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I would find another airline. Freedom of choice
What if the plane crashes into your house and kills you? Freedom of choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies