Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You said "it doesn't say much for government health care". That infers it's the fault of the Army's medical staff. I don't know much about Military health care. Is it that incompetent?
Could be.

I also questioned if the parentes had followed up on care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Could be.

I also questioned if the parentes had followed up on care.
Both pretty flimsy reasons for your comments. I would find it unlikely that 12 families wouldn't follow up on care to the point where their infants perished. You wouldn't be using 12 dead children as a platform to push an anti health care reform agenda, would you?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
What a tragedy for the effected families. I hope those families with small children/infants still using the housing are being moved to another location until they determine what the cause of the deaths is and that the housing has been sufficiently remedied.

To suggest the infants died due to government provided health care is ridiculous - what a well-organized conspiracy it must be against the children of the enlisted. Duh.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

What's awful about this is that they have been investigating these deaths since June 2010, and still no cause has been established.

10 babies have died in four years at Fort Bragg - USATODAY.com
Worse yet, they're stonewalling, not performing the most appropriate tests and, incredibly, blaming the families!
Ft. Bragg’s Garrison Commander, Col. Stephen J. Sicinski, said . . .“There could be many, many things that affect the lifestyle of the family and the conditions of the home that aren’t part of the structure,” Sicinski said. “If you follow what I’m saying, there are a lot of things that can go into the general welfare and the health of children in a home in a family environment that we cannot affect and we will not affect, we are not going to be the thought police. This is America–everybody has a right to privacy.”
The words I'd like to post about this guy would be edited out by the system here.
Quote:

I am saying something is wrong.

Yes, health care is one of the first things I would look at.

It could be the parents did not follow up, who knows???
Follow up on what???

You do know that every single one of these children were otherwise healthy either prior to moving into that housing or prior to their unexplained deaths, right? That even the coroner cannot establish a cause of death, right? That if a cause of death cannot be determined, it would be pretty bizarre for a parent to follow up on something while the child was alive, that so far has been determined to be nothing?
Quote:

That is why I did not say for sure.

If there was a mold question the babies should have been tested.

Did you know some military families go off base for heath care??
How would many of these families have been aware they may have been exposed to mold? Especially if it's hidden in walls, carpets or air vents?
Is there a test to determine if I have been exposed to mold?

Some physicians recommend testing for mold-specific antibodies. The presence of antibodies only indicates that you have been exposed to a substance at some time. However, it does not tell you when you were exposed, where the exposure took place, or how much of the mold you were exposed to. Having a positive test for mold-specific antibodies alone is generally not sufficient to prove that any health effects were in fact caused by exposure to mold.

Health Effects Of Mold
Quote:

Both pretty flimsy reasons for your comments. I would find it unlikely that 12 families wouldn't follow up on care to the point where their infants perished. You wouldn't be using 12 dead children as a platform to push an anti health care reform agenda, would you?
Perish the thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

What a tragedy for the effected families. I hope those families with small children/infants still using the housing are being moved to another location until they determine what the cause of the deaths is and that the housing has been sufficiently remedied.
The one house where 3 different infants of 3 different families died is now shut off and not being lived-in. All the other houses are being treated as if they are safe environments, even those that have been treated (improperly, according to one of the residents -- see the comments section of the article in the OP) for mold.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Fort Bragg Infant Death Toll May Climb to Twelve - ProPublica
"A 12th infant apparently has died of undetermined causes in military housing at Fort Bragg, N.C., and investigators are now trying to determine whether the death is linked to fumes from contaminated drywall or some other environmental problem in the home.

"Last month, federal officials declared that 11 earlier infant deaths were not caused by environmental contaminants, but they did not suggest any alternative causes. . . But the CPSC’s investigation has been criticized by drywall experts, who say that the test the agency used –known as an elemental sulfur test—doesn’t actually measure the amount of sulfur gasses coming off the board. They said that another test, known as a chamber test, should have been used.”
This is unbelievably tragic. And to add insult to injury, the Army called in CPS and had the other children of the latest family whose infant died, removed from their care for 4 days while they were investigated!

I know it's all speculation at this point, but there seems little doubt that there's either some kind of cover up going on, or some reason the Army has for not doing everything possible to test the environment in the housing.

When you talk about a * cover up * ...I am non military but used to live next to an Air Force base.

One day, a man who lived in the complex who worked in the Air Force, his wife shot herself to death in the bathroom ( not so sure it was a suicide by his actions ) but it was very hush hush. The Military came, did their investigation and removed her body.

There was no news media, no police, no write up in the newspaper. It was as if she never existed.

Two weeks later the grieving husband ( yea right ) Drove up in a brand new White Dodge Stealth and showed it to me ( He didn't look too sad..... he cashed in her death benefit very fast... and bought the car ).

He asked me if I wanted her personal things like makeup ( NO thanks , too creepy ! ) And I thought : Why the heck are you trying to get rid of her things..??

Point being : There is some secrecy and privacy when you are in the Military. ( I don't understand it all so I can't explain how it works )....

Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

When you talk about a * cover up * ...I am non military but used to live next to an Air Force base.

One day, a man who lived in the complex who worked in the Air Force, his wife shot herself to death in the bathroom ( not so sure it was a suicide by his actions ) but it was very hush hush. The Military came, did their investigation and removed her body.

There was no news media, no police, no write up in the newspaper. It was as if she never existed.

Two weeks later the grieving husband ( yea right ) Drove up in a brand new White Dodge Stealth and showed it to me ( He didn't look too sad..... he cashed in her death benefit very fast... and bought the car ).

He asked me if I wanted her personal things like makeup ( NO thanks , too creepy ! ) And I thought : Why the heck are you trying to get rid of her things..??

Point being : There is some secrecy and privacy when you are in the Military. ( I don't understand it all so I can't explain how it works )....
::shudder::

Sounds kind of like that "blue wall of silence" often found among police officers.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Thats the conclusion I am drawing from that posters statements.
Unless she is being deliberately vague for another reason.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

There might have been no media coverage of it, but by your documenting of the events here there is a "trail." So if there is or was any sort of fishy business, this could become part of a testimony.

Or at least, so thinks me.

If you have ANY knowledge or have observed a situation which seems FISHY, you should take it to the authorities. Whether you do this BEFORE or AFTER you write about it on the internet is up to you. Just realize, if you write about shady stuff online, others MIGHT report it for you and you will possibly become involved.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 7,742 times
It's not just babies dying on Ft. Bragg. I was told there was an increase in stillborn babies and that was back in 2008.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:41 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
What won't Obama do in his war against the military? He's truly a monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies