Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Federally backed housing, what do you think?
YES. Get rid of it ALL. If you can't afford market rate rent, you're homeless. If you're homeless during a winter storm, YOU DIE. 24 43.64%
While it's debatable how much assistance we should provide, we SHOULD provide some housing relief to the low income and homeless. 31 56.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:09 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Should the government provide ZERO financial aid in the way of housing shelters for the homeless and low income subsidies for housing?

As in, remove ALL requirements, all across the country, for builders to provide a certain percentage of their apartments for low income housing (federally subsidized by the government) and eliminate section 8 subsidies.

Also, get rid of ALL programs that make sure the homeless are housed during summer heatwaves and winter cold snaps.

What do you think?
We should eliminate any federal program that can not be justified by the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:03 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Sure, if you see a bunch of guys just standing around smoking cigarettes...

You could be near a shelter.
We don't have any shelters in my neck of the woods. We do have a private (???) outfit that dispenses food when they have some.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Well, it's too bad we can't ask Hitler. He was a true right wing visionary who could solve some of societies worst social problems with such straight forward solutions. We just need to give it some time but I'm sure we'll see the political void that has been created by our two "opposing"(wink) political parties being filled by someone who will make der Furher look like a real piker................

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why not just round up all of the poor, mentally ill and homeless and just kill them.
Have you considered ovens?

It would eliminate what so many of you see as a problem.
Nah, I don't care for ovens. I was thinking maybe public hangings or firing squad.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
I don't answer polls with loaded questions. What a crap poll from the OP, worded to solicit the "right" response.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
What is inaccurate about my choices? What happens to a 72 year old war vet who has to sleep on the street during a east coast snow storm?

A war vet gets a pension. My dad does.

At 72 your home is usually paid off by then. Property taxes are the big payment.

A war vet has endured and survived harsher conditions, with very little.
72 year old? My dad at 81 could survive in the wilderness with only a pocket knife.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I refuse to vote in polls where the OP feels the need to create these extremely ignorant choices instead of a simple YES or NO.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 PM

525 posts, read 948,103 times
Quote:
Should the government provide ZERO financial aid in the way of housing shelters for the homeless and low income subsidies for housing?

As in, remove ALL requirements, all across the country, for builders to provide a certain percentage of their apartments for low income housing (federally subsidized by the government) and eliminate section 8 subsidies.

Also, get rid of ALL programs that make sure the homeless are housed during summer heatwaves and winter cold snaps.

What do you think?

I think that NO ONE has the right to tell ANYONE that they must 'help' ANYONE... ESPECIALLY THE GOVERNMENT with YOUR money.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
After working on staff at the Palm Beach County Commission on Affordable Housing, and the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development, I can tell you from personal experience that "affordable housing" is a huge feeding frenzy by developers who get rich off of tax money, as well as those who milk the government for all the money they can get to pay for all their fatherless children.

The corruption and graft was so immense that I was so disgusted I had to quit jobs that were very well paid and with generous benefits (as most public jobs are). Though I gave away tax dollars in many different ways, I only encountered one person who wasn't simply taking advantage of free money, and who was actually deserving of help (this person was taking care of a disabled mother and was disabled herself; unlike the rest of our applicants who qualified for assistance because they didn't work, and were single-parent mothers with 4 or more children). This person would have been fine without the programs, since she borrowed a token amount and paid it back within a few months, though she wasn't expected to. Everyone else (inner-city minorities who were well-versed in every government giveaway out there) took the full $5,000 award and never thought to pay it back.

Since these programs were paid for with a County tax on recorded mortgages, my family paid over $1,000 in this particular "extra" tax when we bought our first house, and another $900 when we re-financed to get a much better interest rate. I found this appalling, when I knew the type of people who were getting large cash awards for help with their housing, and none of them actually worked for a living.

HUD employees there were a disgrace to public employees everywhere; I'd never been to a government office where all employees had TVs on their desks and watched it all day. I'd also never heard of a government office where employees could be caught stealing government money, and not even lose their jobs. Or one where the Director could trade large affordable housing grants to developers in return for free luxury apartments for the Director's adult children in said development (they mixed luxury housing with a few "affordable" units).

All levels of government need to stop giving away taxpayer dollars; all it does is enslave working people for the benefit of the lowest scum in society. If everyone had a chance to work in offices that gave away taxpayer's dollars, we'd have a lot more Libertarians and a lot less liberals out there.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 PM

525 posts, read 948,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
After working on staff at the Palm Beach County Commission on Affordable Housing, and the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development, I can tell you from personal experience that "affordable housing" is a huge feeding frenzy by developers who get rich off of tax money, as well as those who milk the government for all the money they can get to pay for all their fatherless children.

The corruption and graft was so immense that I was so disgusted I had to quit jobs that were very well paid and with generous benefits (as most public jobs are). Though I gave away tax dollars in many different ways, I only encountered one person who wasn't simply taking advantage of free money, and who was actually deserving of help (this person was taking care of a disabled mother and was disabled herself; unlike the rest of our applicants who qualified for assistance because they didn't work, and were single-parent mothers with 4 or more children). This person would have been fine without the programs, since she borrowed a token amount and paid it back within a few months, though she wasn't expected to. Everyone else (inner-city minorities who were well-versed in every government giveaway out there) took the full $5,000 award and never thought to pay it back.

Since these programs were paid for with a County tax on recorded mortgages, my family paid over $1,000 in this particular "extra" tax when we bought our first house, and another $900 when we re-financed to get a much better interest rate. I found this appalling, when I knew the type of people who were getting large cash awards for help with their housing, and none of them actually worked for a living.

HUD employees there were a disgrace to public employees everywhere; I'd never been to a government office where all employees had TVs on their desks and watched it all day. I'd also never heard of a government office where employees could be caught stealing government money, and not even lose their jobs. Or one where the Director could trade large affordable housing grants to developers in return for free luxury apartments for the Director's adult children in said development (they mixed luxury housing with a few "affordable" units).

All levels of government need to stop giving away taxpayer dollars; all it does is enslave working people for the benefit of the lowest scum in society. If everyone had a chance to work in offices that gave away taxpayer's dollars, we'd have a lot more Libertarians and a lot less liberals out there.
It's great to hear this from someone like you who has been there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies