Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Federally backed housing, what do you think?
YES. Get rid of it ALL. If you can't afford market rate rent, you're homeless. If you're homeless during a winter storm, YOU DIE. 24 43.64%
While it's debatable how much assistance we should provide, we SHOULD provide some housing relief to the low income and homeless. 31 56.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times

Advertisements

Should the government provide ZERO financial aid in the way of housing shelters for the homeless and low income subsidies for housing?

As in, remove ALL requirements, all across the country, for builders to provide a certain percentage of their apartments for low income housing (federally subsidized by the government) and eliminate section 8 subsidies.

Also, get rid of ALL programs that make sure the homeless are housed during summer heatwaves and winter cold snaps.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
No.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Double no.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
I refuse to vote in polls where the OP feels the need to create these extremely ignorant choices instead of a simple YES or NO.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I refuse to vote in polls where the OP feels the need to create these extremely ignorant choices instead of a simple YES or NO.
What is inaccurate about my choices? What happens to a 72 year old war vet who has to sleep on the street during a east coast snow storm?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
What is inaccurate about my choices? What happens to a 72 year old war vet who has to sleep on the street during a east coast snow storm?
I didn't say inaccurate, I said ignorant. You can't ask a simple question, you have to attach insane things to the Yes or No just like other liberals here who post these crazy polls.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
I voted yes...but the poll poses a strawman argument for the "Yes" response. I think people do need help...it's just that the Federal government should not be in the public housing business. This is a responsibility of the local government to care for those that need help. If the states need assistance to do so I wouldn't necessarily be against some sort of Federal Aid.

I also think any church that is worthwhile should be helping those in need. I think instead of taxing people and making the government do it, people should be providing this help through charities.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM

43 posts, read 18,474 times
Quote:
Should the government provide ZERO financial aid in the way of housing shelters for the homeless and low income subsidies for housing?

As in, remove ALL requirements, all across the country, for builders to provide a certain percentage of their apartments for low income housing (federally subsidized by the government) and eliminate section 8 subsidies.

Also, get rid of ALL programs that make sure the homeless are housed during summer heatwaves and winter cold snaps.

What do you think?
We should get rid of all forced by threat of theft, assault, and kidnapping backed programs, yes.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I voted yes...but the poll poses a strawman argument for the "Yes" response. I think people do need help...it's just that the Federal government should not be in the public housing business. This is a responsibility of the local government to care for those that need help. If the states need assistance to do so I wouldn't necessarily be against some sort of Federal Aid.
It's handled at the local level but the funds to do this usually comes from the federal government.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:40 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
It's handled at the local level but the funds to do this usually comes from the federal government.

That should change. In extreme circumstances, some federal aid could be provided...but it should be only as an extreme last resort. I think it's best if the local government do it and pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies