Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,814,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I suppose you also didnt notice that produce and juice shot through the roof after the freeze, and the prices still have not gone down.
There was a great deal of tree damage, which will result in long term higher prices for juice oranges, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is a commodity.

stop and listen..
Did orange juice prices go up after the freeze? YES..

but tell me why they HAVE BEEN GOING UP FOR TWO YEARS if the damage only took place in December?

Tell me why ALL commodities have been going up, NOT JUST ORANGE JUICE?

Tell me why in 1990 when the damage was 400% larger than the 2010 damage you are talking about the yearly inflation rate on food was 10% SMALLER than this years?

Tell me how .002% of the nations produce being destroyed turns into a 4% increase in costs for THE MONTH, and this is for ALL produce..

I'm sorry but you telling me orange prices have gone up doesnt explain why the cost of all other non orange related items have also increased.

I know the answer, and I'm sure you do if you just think about it.. But the devistation in Florida does not explain a 4% jump in one month. The math doesnt even come close. It might have accounted for .1% of the increase but in the grand scheme of the nations economic production of agriculture, $273M is nothing in an industry of $100BILLION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,766,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
if big agriculture and food processing left as they are, "eating food may become the thing of the past" at any price. But that's another subject.
Indeed. The bee colony collapse has spread well beyond North America.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,315,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
I agree with you and Remember.. But guys try to say this stuff in more basic terms.. geez just think of who it is trying to understand this stuff... yea... great clarity here but I want to see the people 'get this!'

Take a dollar bill and cut it in half and call each half a new dollar.

It now cost $2 for the same thing that cost $1 before the scissors came out.

Take that same dollar and cut it into a million pieces. Want to see a loaf of bread cost over a million dollars?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

stop and listen..
Did orange juice prices go up after the freeze? YES..

but tell me why they HAVE BEEN GOING UP FOR TWO YEARS if the damage only took place in December?

Tell me why ALL commodities have been going up, NOT JUST ORANGE JUICE?

Tell me why in 1990 when the damage was 400% larger than the 2010 damage you are talking about the yearly inflation rate on food was 10% SMALLER than this years?

Tell me how .002% of the nations produce being destroyed turns into a 4% increase in costs for THE MONTH, and this is for ALL produce..
.002%?
Really?
You need to read this link then.
Overview of Florida Agriculture: Marketing Florida Agriculture
I'm sorry but you telling me orange prices have gone up doesnt explain why the cost of all other non orange related items have also increased.

I know the answer, and I'm sure you do if you just think about it.. But the devistation in Florida does not explain a 4% jump in one month. The math doesnt even come close. It might have accounted for .1% of the increase but in the grand scheme of the nations economic production of agriculture, $273M is nothing in an industry of $100BILLION
Your figures are waaaay off on Florida agriculture, we are far more than the land of Mickey here.
Read the link, please.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Your figures are waaaay off on Florida agriculture, we are far more than the land of Mickey here.
Read the link, please.
I know you produce a lot more produce in Florida, but your own link says $273M was LOST.. What wasnt lost cant be blamed to have a negative effect on inflation

Florida agriculture loses $273M in December freeze

You do realize that the NATIONS inflation is based upon NATIONAL productions and not just Florida.. right?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:57 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I know you produce a lot more produce in Florida, but your own link says $273M was LOST.. What wasnt lost cant be blamed to have a negative effect on inflation

Florida agriculture loses $273M in December freeze
Supply and demand, a lot of restaurants stopped offering vegetables due to cost.
Did you hear about this?
Sweet Tomatoes needs cheaper tomatoes, and so do other restaurants - Kansas City Restaurants and Dining - Fat City
A single tomato (just an illustration here) jumped to $3 here in Florida, we still dont have a great deal of new crop yet.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Supply and demand, a lot of restaurants stopped offering vegetables due to cost.
Did you hear about this?
Sweet Tomatoes needs cheaper tomatoes, and so do other restaurants - Kansas City Restaurants and Dining - Fat City
A single tomato (just an illustration here) jumped to $3 here in Florida, we still dont have a great deal of new crop yet.
yes, I've heard about that as well.. Our local Wendys stopped putting tomatoes on sandwiches.. but again, that doesnt explain why ALL commodities have been RISING FOR YEARS before December, and why the cost of food not damaged in Florida also rose.. You are pretending that Florida destruction took place all around the nation and it didnt..

Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,292,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
I agree with you and Remember.. But guys try to say this stuff in more basic terms.. geez just think of who it is trying to understand this stuff... yea... great clarity here but I want to see the people 'get this!'

Doesn't seem like very many get this sadly.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,584,530 times
Food prices have certainly gone up, however, they still don't seem to have risen as much or as quickly as they did in the early 70s.
Just my perception.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
I think with so many people given food stamps, groceries can raise the prices to whatever that crowd can afford which is a lot, making it very difficult for the working people to buy food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies