Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:07 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Picking Up Where ’96 Welfare Reform Left Off

Today, Reps. Jim Jordan (R., Ohio), Tim Scott (R., S.C.), and Scott Garrett (R., N.J.) will introduce the Welfare Reform Act of 2011, a bill that would do much more than rein in exploding federal welfare spending. It also seeks to free millions of families, currently trapped in the welfare system, from a debilitating dependence on government.

The legislation also would ease able-bodied recipients of government assistance off the welfare rolls and into jobs — the signature accomplishment of the limited 1996 reforms. The fastest way out of poverty, as the saying goes, is a job.

The last paragraph is the problem. There are very few jobs available now. So if these people are off of welfare... then what?

To me, you attempt to stimulate private/small businesses first so that jobs can open up - then they will be available for the people getting off of welfare.

I hope they know what they are getting into. Maybe I will send a note their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
The Democrats could have made the timing better had they pursued significant and meaningful social entitlement reforms during Pe-lousey's speakership. They did not. Procrastination of addressing serious topics usually pushes execution of events at less than optimal times.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

To me, you attempt to stimulate private/small businesses first so that jobs can open up - then they will be available for the people getting off of welfare.

I hope they know what they are getting into. Maybe I will send a note their way.
You'll never find an article in a paper stating it's a good time to get people off of welfare.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:20 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
What? Welfare Reform now? I don't think those Companies would like to see us doing things that go contrary to their bottom lines. We, particularly at this time, need to give them as many tax breaks and urge them to move even more of their manufacturing overseas. After all, the upper 1% depend on those Corporate profits for their investing overseas. No, not the time to do no Corp Welfare Reform.

Last edited by florida.bob; 03-17-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:

Today, Reps. Jim Jordan (R., Ohio), Tim Scott (R., S.C.), and Scott Garrett (R., N.J.) will introduce the Welfare Reform Act of 2011, a bill that would do much more than rein in exploding federal welfare spending. It also seeks to free millions of families, currently trapped in the welfare system, from a debilitating dependence on government.

The legislation also would ease able-bodied recipients of government assistance off the welfare rolls and into jobs — the signature accomplishment of the limited 1996 reforms. The fastest way out of poverty, as the saying goes, is a job.

The last paragraph is the problem. There are very few jobs available now. So if these people are off of welfare... then what?

Good afternoon,

What I don't like about these "welfare reform" policies is that it creates class warfare. We need to eliminate public welfare from all areas, including corporate welfare, individual welfare checks, and unemployment checks. I do like the idea of giving people jobs instead of a check, but it must be a virtually guaranteed position to be effective.

There is not a uniform "lack of jobs" in all fields. We should train these people to work in "in demand" fields, hire them temporarily in public sector fields that have backlogged work. Even if it's "make work" public jobs, it's better than giving people a check. If there aren't enough public jobs, send them as temporary workers to promising private companies that cannot currently afford to expand and will repay the government plus interest for providing free labor once they expand and bring in profits.

Also, people should learn to move where the jobs are if they need a quick solution, like they did in the past instead of remaining in economically depressed areas waiting for politicians to turn things around. Voting with your feet eventually sends the message.

We should give tax breaks to companies who hire only Americans, and tax companies that send jobs offshore yet benefit financially from our nation's laws, or at least tax the finished goods that come back for our consumption. Even though a tax on these companies are passed down to us, the higher prices of their products and services will make it easier for American companies to compete. Once parity in domestic jobs has been reached, we should eliminate the "Hire Americans" corporate tax breaks and create a flat tax or consumption tax that's fair for everyone.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The 5 year limit hasn't worked. DC for example has exended it and it still doesn't work.
We now have generational welfare from grandmothers to mothers to their own children all on welfare, food stamps and living in government housing.

The social net that was supposed to be temporary isn't working.
Time to try something new. Obama was all about change. So change it. Try something else because what we have today is broke.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:

This post makes a lot of sense. There are no jobs, so how can someone -- especially someone who WAS on welfare -- get a job? Employers view anyone with more than a 30 day gap in employment as damaged goods.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:35 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:

As much as I'd really REALLY like to see welfare reform (into a handout-free / work and training-based system) I really think there are things the government spends a lot more on than this, including spending on itself in terms of its sheer size.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:

Just another smoking screen to expand government. Since private sector is not creating job, the government just going create a few agencies that each will stuff tens of thousand people.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:23 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You'll never find an article in a paper stating it's a good time to get people off of welfare.
Especially the corporate kind of welfare.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies