U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 01:26 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,123,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
How so....bias?
because when straight people say they are born straight, it's not even questioned. people have a tendancy to assume that everyone must be LIKE them and if they're not it's because they did something wrong.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:06 AM

19,273 posts, read 20,155,339 times
It might be helpful at this juncture to apply the analogy of the wide gulf between being different and being wrong.

For example, if I put on two different colored socks, I'm just being different. But if I insist on wearing my gloves on my feet, that's just wrong.

I think some straight people perceive gayness that way. Not me, of course, But some.

Leather gloves.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 AM

15,871 posts, read 13,434,729 times
Quote:
In point of fact there is a scientific reason to be straight except.......that of procreation. Without that simple fact none of us would be here. What is at question is why do we use body parts meant to create children in such a way as to not create children?
My theory is that, like infertility, it is an evolutionary hedge against overpopulation. This is why we see it in the animal world as well.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:30 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,064,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well when you have people like Meredith Baxter changing from hetero to lesbian and then saying she was in such denial she never knew she was gay it gets confusing. There are plenty who in later life suddenly come to the realization they aren't straight after all. Asking those people will get you no where. IMO so many people are mixed up and confused about their sexaulity they are not a good source to ask. How can you ask a troubled person to explain why they are having problems. If they knew they could fix it, don't you think? If they had that much insight.
Meredith Baxter? Really? Why do you know about her sex life? Hmmmm.
Some people are bisexual; some are extremely repressed trying to conform to society's expectation.

Have you never learned anything about yourself later in life?
Have you never tried to conform or fit in with the dominant group?

Quote:
Gays have no idea whether or not homosexuality is a choice or dna related. I'm straight. I have no idea why I want to sleep with women. Research into procreation does give us some insights of why I prefer women, but I'm not aware of any scientific study that claims to have solved the riddle that is homosexuality.
So when was it that you decided to be straight?
Oh, you didn't.
Can you really change the gender of those who you're attracted to?

I would prefer to be a lesbian, unfortunately, I'm not wired that way.
No matter how much I would like to be, I cannot be.

Quote:
I dunno about that. Depression has always plauged homosexuals. The whole reason we're all supposed to be all accepting of gay individuals is because of this issue. While being gay here in the western world may still be not totally accepted it's much closer than the rest of the world which really does persecute homosexual behavior. Still, it hasn't helped the mental health issues of gays.
Wow, where did you learn this?
How about we should accept people being gay (or fill in the blank) because all people are created equal; as a sign of acceptance of everyone.

Where is this hatero school that so many posters seem to attend?

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-18-2011 at 03:43 AM..

Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,064,188 times
Quote:
In point of fact there is a scientific reason to be straight except.......that of procreation. Without that simple fact none of us would be here. What is at question is why do we use body parts meant to create children in such a way as to not create children?
Maybe because sex is fun.
I can't have kids because I had myself sterilized decades ago, does that mean that I'm not allowed to enjoy sex?
Do you thank that being gay is simply about sex?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 AM

28,991 posts, read 19,006,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I find it odd that there are millions of first hand sources out there that can answer the question, yet people still think there is no way to find out of being gay is a choice or not, yet I've met very few straight people who say that they chose to be straight. Also, why are gay people's views on this subject not taken seriously since they would be the primary sources to ASK? Why do many straight people feel that they know more about this than actual gay PEOPLE? I'm gay and know NOTHING about what it's like to be straight and would never CLAIM TOO, but the opposite is not true.

What difference does it make?

For any species, homosexuality is an unproductive biological dead end.

And while heterosexual relationships drive biological adaptation and are the sole reason we exist in our present highly developed form, what does homosexuality bring to the table such that the rest of us should subsidize it as we do marriage?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Maybe because sex is fun.
I can't have kids because I had myself sterilized decades ago, does that mean that I'm not allowed to enjoy sex?
Do you thank that being gay is simply about sex?

Then we could also ask, is the desire to bungee jump organic?

Obvious answer: who cares and why should the rest of us have to subsidize it?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I have never in my life met a male who has pretended to be gay, nor have I met a straight male who thought it was cool to be a gay male. Never, and I've known many gay males.

So?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I don't have a mental issue and I"m gay. I fail to see a comparison with the disease of alcoholism. homosexuality isn't a behavior. You don't have to do anything other than be born.

Really?

Are people born alcoholics or just predisposed to alcoholism?

Is alcoholism learned behavior?

If a person predisposed to alcoholism never takes a first drink, are they still alcoholics?

Is a sober alcoholic still an alcoholic?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 AM

17,853 posts, read 11,753,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post

Here's another link that tells how the diagnosis of Homosexuality was removed from the DSM in 1973 mainly as a result of gay political activism.
Thought Reform And The Psychology of Homosexual Advocacy

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Thanks for the link very informative.
NARTH? Seriously? LOL! Going to NARTH for "information" about homosexuality is like going to a KKK website for "information" about blacks.

No serious health professonal takes that religious-based anti-gay fringe group seriously. Their ideas have long been discredited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies