U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,021,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Educational television.
More like indoctrinational television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,021,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
To get real news. Boring as ****, just like news is supposed to be.

Never heard of him? I'd guess you're younger than 22. NTTAWT.
I don't get news from the radio.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,742,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
I don't get news from the radio.
He's on PBS.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,742,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
More like indoctrinational television.
Do I have to explain the irony here?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:39 PM

5,645 posts, read 3,982,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Conservatives won't get rid of NPR, donations from supporters will probably start to soar now.
I listen to it regularly, within the American radio landscape NPR is in a class of its own
The entire point is that taxpayer dollars should not be going to something like this, especially something that is so obviously biased.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 PM

5,645 posts, read 3,982,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Geez, Got a headache yet?

It doesn't say what anywhere in my link? The stated purpose of this particular Congress is to cut spending, is it not?

Congress voted today to defund NPR which I thought was to save taxpayer money and cut spending.
To that end, I guess, someone had the CBO score the savings to be gained by cutting said funding. The CBO scored the total net savings TO THE TAXPAYERS at $0.
You yourself state that they are removing it from taxpayer dollars which is all I was speaking to.
Whether NPR still raises money from other sources has nothing to do with them receiving or not receiving federal funds, which is all today's vote was about.
All I intended was to point out yet another hypocritical political vote by Congress who mew constantly about deficit reduction while wasting time grandstanding on votes like this one that have zero effect.
I don't understand how this can be. If *any* taxpayer dollars are going to NRP, defunding it (thus removing those tax dollars) would lead to saving money for the taxpayer. The story just does not add up.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:51 PM

19,317 posts, read 20,209,061 times
Call me innocent, but wouldn't it make sense for NPR/PBS to simply make a sincere effort to tone down the obvious liberal partisanship of its programs and personnel? Such an effort would not only diffuse the arguments about bias; it would also help to address what I assume is the mission of public broadcasting: to serve all Americans fairly and objectively, regardless of their political affiliation.

Of course, a partial answer to my query might be that public broadcasting and its supporters define "serving all Americans" as working to support liberal views and consistently favoring one political party while criticizing the other.

If this is indeed the case, wouldn't it disqualify NPR/PBS from being considered a "public service", and receiving federal funding?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 PM

26,503 posts, read 24,272,676 times
The GOP is wasting it's time and our money - once again.

House cuts to NPR funding likely to die in hands of Senate - USATODAY.com

Why don't Republicans do something useful for a change? Stop the grandstanding and pandering to the base with bills that will never become law.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,746,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Hurray!!!

I agree with the (R) Rep who said, "We're not defunding NPR. We are LIBERATING IT FROM PUBLIC DOLLARS!"

That's great! Most of these lefties could care less about spending OUR tax dollars on junk like NPR. They are probably still living off their mom and dad,

Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 PM

13,160 posts, read 9,247,039 times
I am holding out for the "BIG" defunding - approximately 95% of the Federal Budget.
When they cut THAT out, then we can celebrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies