U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM

19,503 posts, read 13,271,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
What did you want Obama to do? Hastily go to war like we did in Iraq and Afghanistan?
We expect our president to have a consistent US foreign policy. It seems clear that we do not have one, we differ to whatever the UN decides our policy should be, and we will not take any action until the UN members agree on one.

CBS' Chip Reid: "On no-fly zone, what exactly is the U.S. -- the administration's position before the Security Council?"

MR. CARNEY: "Our position, Chip, remains that we are evaluating a number of options, military options, including...."

CBS' Chip Reid: "But a decision has to be made now."

MR. CARNEY: "...including a no-fly zone. We feel that it is important that any action like that that might be taken should be done in concert with our international partners. Through the United Nations would be our preferable vehicle for that, and therefore we would look to the U.N. as a forum for evaluating that option. I think I mentioned yesterday that today is the deadline for the no-fly zone option to -- preparations or plans to be submitted in Brussels at NATO. And I believe the NAC will review those tomorrow. So this process is moving forward.

But our position is that action like that should be considered and taken if decided upon in coordination with our international partners, because it's very important in the way that we respond to a situation like we see in Libya, that it be international and not unilateral; that it include the support and participation, for example, of the Arab League and other organizations and countries in the region.

And that is our sort of focus as we proceed with these conversations."

Read more: White House Obliterated at Briefing; 'Doesn't There Come a Point Where You Have to Make a Decision?' - Jay Carney - Fox Nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM

21,185 posts, read 15,344,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Of course not.

If they would have implemented the no-fly zone as soon as Ghadaffi started slaughtering civilians and rebels around the country (3+ weeks ago), it might have given the rebels a chance to defeat this guy, might have convinced the military to turn on him, but now, after the rebel force has been decimated by Ghadaffi....what's the point?

Obama and the UN waited just long enough to INSURE a Ghadaffi victory.
Why is it assumed that the rebels would be an improvement over Qaddafi?
Surely we all do remember a little group called the Taliban.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 AM

54,544 posts, read 38,523,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you didn't answer the question.

why did you state that "I clearly stated "time to address that atrocity has come and gone"

if you're going to yammer about that very thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

^^ dozens and dozens more just like these
NICE job of eliminating context! Have any other 'special' talents?

Why aren't you whining about the continual lame attempts at blaming Obama for everything form the death of dinosaurs to the Chicago Fire?

I guess you like that BS over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
, eh?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 AM

19,503 posts, read 13,271,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Actually, you are ill informed on this subject. If the fighting continued, France and England were going to lead the initial strike (no ground troops) with minor support from various other nations.

Obama doesn't control the UN. That's the point. I agree that the UN should have moved faster, but that's not for us to control.

You either want us to get our fiscal house in order or you want us to plunder the world and rebuild nations world wide. You don't get it both ways. Pick one and stop hypocritically attacking Obama for the other.
So we would not have to do any plundering or rebuilding if the UN gave us the okay to bomb Libya?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM

41,314 posts, read 38,611,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Actually, you are ill informed on this subject. If the fighting continued, France and England were going to lead the initial strike (no ground troops) with minor support from various other nations.

Obama doesn't control the UN. That's the point. I agree that the UN should have moved faster, but that's not for us to control.

You either want us to get our fiscal house in order or you want us to plunder the world and rebuild nations world wide. You don't get it both ways. Pick one and stop hypocritically attacking Obama for the other.
Another that doesn't get it. The fight is over, Ghadaffi has achieved his goal of retaining control of the country. See, in the interim 3+ weeks while obama and the UN were paralyzed in making a decision, sitting on their hands, Ghadaffi was able to slaughter his way back into control of the country, driving the rebels into one area.

I'd say you're the one who is ill informed on the subject.

How long will we remain patrolling this no-fly zone while Ghadaffi sits back and laughs his butt off?

What if the rebels try an offensive? Will the US and UN back them up...meaning fighting on the ground, going to war?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:09 AM

24,129 posts, read 17,733,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
NICE job of eliminating context! Have any other 'special' talents?

Why aren't you whining about the continual lame attempts at blaming Obama for everything form the death of dinosaurs to the Chicago Fire?

I guess you like that BS over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
, eh?
how do you suggest i keep the context intact? the link to each repective thread is right there, you have merely to click on it

are you going to answer the question? here it is again:

Quote:
why did you state that "I clearly stated "time to address that atrocity has come and gone"

if you're going to yammer about that very thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?
also, please link to these posts blaming obama for the death of dinosaurs and the chicago fire, and i will go reprimand the respective posters most sternly. since they're allegedly posted over and over and over and over and over again, it should be a snap for you to locate them

Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 AM

15,048 posts, read 13,172,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We expect our president to have a consistent US foreign policy. It seems clear that we do not have one, we differ to whatever the UN decides our policy should be, and we will not take any action until the UN members agree on one.

CBS' Chip Reid: "On no-fly zone, what exactly is the U.S. -- the administration's position before the Security Council?"

MR. CARNEY: "Our position, Chip, remains that we are evaluating a number of options, military options, including...."

CBS' Chip Reid: "But a decision has to be made now."

MR. CARNEY: "...including a no-fly zone. We feel that it is important that any action like that that might be taken should be done in concert with our international partners. Through the United Nations would be our preferable vehicle for that, and therefore we would look to the U.N. as a forum for evaluating that option. I think I mentioned yesterday that today is the deadline for the no-fly zone option to -- preparations or plans to be submitted in Brussels at NATO. And I believe the NAC will review those tomorrow. So this process is moving forward.

But our position is that action like that should be considered and taken if decided upon in coordination with our international partners, because it's very important in the way that we respond to a situation like we see in Libya, that it be international and not unilateral; that it include the support and participation, for example, of the Arab League and other organizations and countries in the region.

And that is our sort of focus as we proceed with these conversations."

Read more: White House Obliterated at Briefing; 'Doesn't There Come a Point Where You Have to Make a Decision?' - Jay Carney - Fox Nation
Instead of acting like cowboys, the US was smart to work with and allow the international community to make a decision on Libya. I have my personal opinions on US foreign policy, but I understand that each affair the US and the world faces is different. Foreign policy isn't always a black and white issue.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What if the rebels try an offensive? Will the US and UN back them up...meaning fighting on the ground, going to war?
Should we go to war? Are you willing to go? Or do you just enjoy thoughts of war from the comforts of home?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 AM

47,314 posts, read 24,833,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Obama is Bush on steroids. Not the change I wanted.
You're absolutely correct, and it's the one thing about this president that i hate even though i voted for him. He's a damn hawk....far hawkish than Bush ever was. I sensed that he was even before he was elected, but i didn't want to believe it.

Before i vote for him again, i want to see a little more dovish behavior first cuz i'm tired of these damn wars.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how do you suggest i keep the context intact? the link to each repective thread is right there, you have merely to click on it

are you going to answer the question? here it is again:

also, please link to these posts blaming obama for the death of dinosaurs and the chicago fire, and i will go reprimand the respective posters most sternly. since they're allegedly posted over and over and over and over and over again, it should be a snap for you to locate them
Pull your head out of the sand or where ever else it may be stuck and get a friggin' clue, would ya?

I said what I said in response to someone who'd said: "Libya didn't attack us" which is simply NOT the case.

If YOU don't like the introduction of FACT to an issue it's YOUR problem, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or