Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,515,068 times

Advertisements

I wonder how quick Obama would conduct himself the way he did today if he had 2 sons in the military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 04:22 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,359,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here's a really radical suggestion: suppose we didn't get involved in either of those places, and with the money freed up, we started fixing things right here in the United States?

Who would have imagined...more than two centuries ago, when there weren't even any computers, George Washington was right when he counseled against "foreign entanglements."
Exactly. Neocons love to talk about the founding fathers, but they've gotten so far away from their vision of what the US really should be. We need to get back to what the US should be: freedom, democracy, equality and staying out of foreign affairs. President Washington is rolling in his grave.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:39 PM

37,713 posts, read 21,832,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Obama amps it up with sabre rattling rhetoric:

Obama to Gadhafi: Stop or face military action (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110318/ap_on_re_us/us_us_libya - broken link)

It's as if Cheney and Rumsfeld are back in the White House.
I wonder if or when the liberal media will pummel the president with questions like:

What is your exit strategy?

Will we be nation building after the political vacuum once Qaddafi leaves?

Who are these rebels we are supporting, and which rebel faction will we support after Qaddafi leaves, and what form of support will that take?

If we break Libya, will we own it?

How will we pay for this?

What is your plan if Qaddafi holds onto power, what are you prepared to do to force him from power, and what if any actions will you take if he continues to use military force to fight the rebels??

Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 PM

589 posts, read 754,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here's a really radical suggestion: suppose we didn't get involved in either of those places, and with the money freed up, we started fixing things right here in the United States?

Who would have imagined...more than two centuries ago, when there weren't even any computers, George Washington was right when he counseled against "foreign entanglements."

Mexico directly influences our country, way more than Libya/Iraq or Afghanistan does. There are armed gangs hopping our borders, drug cartels just south of it and plenty of illegals streaming across the border without any trouble at all.

Id prefer if we did not bother any country, but our troops could be better used closer to home doing anything besides occupying Iraq...Manning the border for one would do wonders for border security and stemming the tide of the Mexican drug cartel into the border states.

Libya is really Europe's problem, and sure enough Europe is trying to fix Libya in their favor with US help, but Europe would not lift a finger to help the US in this hemisphere if we needed it.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Mexico directly influences our country, way more than Libya/Iraq or Afghanistan does. There are armed gangs hopping our borders, drug cartels just south of it and plenty of illegals streaming across the border without any trouble at all.

Id prefer if we did not bother any country, but our troops could be better used closer to home doing anything besides occupying Iraq...Manning the border for one would do wonders for border security and stemming the tide of the Mexican drug cartel into the border states.

Libya is really Europe's problem, and sure enough Europe is trying to fix Libya in their favor with US help, but Europe would not lift a finger to help the US in this hemisphere if we needed it.
Mexico is a domestic problem that is of national security concern, and it will take leadership from 0bama to address it, he cannot pawn it off on the UN or Arab League, and he cannot just launch missiles at the Mexican cartel, with impunity.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:51 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,032,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I am a progressive and I am OUTRAGED!!! I'm sick of us going to war against countries that have nothing to do with us. I'm really getting sick of living in this country. I'm sick of American imperialism. Sick and tired of it.
Well if you don't like it move! LOL............j/k. I'm not a progressive but I'm sick and tired of it too. But what the hell do we do? My candidate Ron Paul got laughed off the presidential stage. Your candidate is a complete and utter failure. Do we god help us put another Republican conservative in the white house like Newt Gingrich? **** I Hope not! Where do we move to? France? Canada? Mexico? Brazil? All those countries have problems as worse or worse than ours.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:55 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,032,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Mexico is a domestic problem that is of national security concern, and it will take leadership from 0bama to address it, he cannot pawn it off on the UN or Arab League, and he cannot just launch missiles at the Mexican cartel, with impunity.
No but we should militarize our border for a few years and put some big .50cal machine guns, A10 warthogs, and Abrams tanks and see how these big bad drug cartels feel about coming into our country and wreaking havoc on our populace.

In all honesty though......what good is that going to do? I mean look at the fricking demand for drugs in the USA. It's gotten insane. Everyone and their brother is taking drugs it seems nowadays. I mean it's a multibillion dollar industry. Who the hell is snorting all this coke, smoking all this pot and shooting all this heroin? I mean there are only so many poor black people in the US. It's not them. There are only so many black tar heroin using white kids in Portland. There are only so many OC soccer moms getting high. where the hell do all these drugs go? Moreover where the hell is all this drug money being funneled and laundried? Is that italian guy down the street who's store is ALWAYS empty secretly laundering drug money? Is that 40 year old neighbor next to me who just bought a new Escalade and never seems to work supporting her three kids by selling pot?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,793,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I wonder if or when the liberal media will pummel the president with questions like:

What is your exit strategy?

Will we be nation building after the political vacuum once Qaddafi leaves?

Who are these rebels we are supporting, and which rebel faction will we support after Qaddafi leaves, and what form of support will that take?

If we break Libya, will we own it?

How will we pay for this?

What is your plan if Qaddafi holds onto power, what are you prepared to do to force him from power, and what if any actions will you take if he continues to use military force to fight the rebels??

Inside classified Hill briefing, administration spells out war plan for Libya | The Cable

Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,486,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
I can see that point. And there's a perfectly good historical precedent to back it up. In the mid-1950s, when France was having a lot of trouble in a far-flung colonial outpost called Vietnam, who but the United States gallantly stepped in to get them out of their mess!

For all of this nation's accomplishments, it is unfortunately true that we rarely see our own best interests when they're staring us in the face.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You can't have a clear policy in a nebulous world such as this. We simply don't know who is who. Foreign policy has to be fluid, not static. For example, in this Libyan situation, we have no freekin' idea who the rebels are. Ghaddafi is the devil we know. It's our good fortune that despite the fact that he's a bum, we didn't put him there. And the Libyan people can't blame us for his existence like the Iranians could for the Shah or the Egyptians for Mubarak.

It's not our job to pick winners in Libya....if that were even possible. Obama did say that it was time for Ghaddafi to step down, and that's all he should say or do in this situation. The rest is up to the Libyan people.
You are not looking at this in the right way. First and foremost, our nation needs a clear foreign policy, because it provides the framework and foundation from which we respond to each crisis. Without a clear foreign policy, no one, not even the president's administration, will know how to respond to anything going on in the world. The nation will be paralyzed, or at best, we lurch back and fourth between views, opinions and actions, because the people in the president's administration will all have their own view on foreign policy and some will make mistakes, give bad advice, or say the wrong think. This is not golf, we cannot just ask for a Mulligan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies