U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 PM

9,881 posts, read 8,754,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
An uncle of mine is Japanese, I spoke with him today about Obama signing the book...he had no complaints and thought it was a wonderful gesture...so don't tell me what I know...or don't know.
Amazing that you think your uncle's opinion mitigates the ignorant behavior of the POTUS. Your world must be very small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,156,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
You simply don't understand the importance of protocol. Not my problem.
You've been making this assertion over and over that Obama's unannounced visit, and taking up a full page in a condolence books, are somehow massive breaches of protocol. I've done a google search or two, and haven't found it.

I don't disbelieve you. Before you keep yelling over and over how rude this is, could you please explain why this is a breach of protocol? I'm willing to be convinced here that this was some diplomatic faux pas, but you're just asserting it over and over without saying why.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,536,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And in an alternate timeline, right wing nutjobs denounced Obama's taking advantage of the crisis in Japan to stage a planned photo op at the Japanese embassy, and then only left a short, cursory message in their book thingy.

What an insensitive bastard.
So true. No matter what this man does, he is accused of making some HUGE mistake.

Now that I understand the situation better, I agree with waylandwoman - if he made a big state visit, it would have been completely self-serving. Simply taking time out of his busy day to acknowledge the tragedy in a very simple but poignant way is such an incredible sign of respect toward the Japanese people.

Perhaps these posters are not educated in the way embassies operate in DC. They are open businesses with high ranking officials moving through regularly.

We really have a great president. Continues to impress, in big ways and little.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,170,508 times
Quote:
You simply don't understand the importance of protocol. Not my problem.
Since you are apparently so well versed on protocol please provide some information that says the Japanese were offended by Obama.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,170,508 times
Quote:
Amazing that you think your uncle's opinion mitigates the ignorant behavior of the POTUS. Your world must be very small.
You know I've lived and traveled all over this country and in eleven international cities and the most ignorant behavior I have ever witnessed is right here on city-data.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,536,839 times
Pommysmommy has had ample opportunity to explain and define this breach in protocol. The fact that all she can do is continue to express broad, generic platitudes, and that there is no indication that I can find of any breach in etiquette, leads me to believe this is just another contrived "controversy" to try and gain political points off a tragedy.

Sad, really. People have died and are suffered. Entire families are ruined forever. Yet, we're supposed to care about a book signing. Even if it does challenge some old protocol, the intention of support in this horrific tragedy trumps it easily.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 PM

2,617 posts, read 1,989,492 times
Quote:
I can't believe he dropped in unannounced to the Japanese embassy. That is beyond rude in the Japanese culture. I guess it wasn't bad enough to keep the Emperor of Japan waiting in a car on a previous occassion. Why doesn't he just spit on them?
News flash: Obama spits on decaying fuel rods in an attempt to halt disaster, right wing rednecks are pissed.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,016,466 times
Quote:
By the way, the fool also took up a whole page in the book. Another gauche no no.
A whole PAGE! Oh what will the Japanese do with that TRULY awful event of losing a sheet of paper (and they thought an earthquake, tsunami, and radiation were awful....little did they know of the Terrible Event of Unnanounced Visits and Whole Page Usage!!!)! Now someone else won't be able to sign the book!!! The Japanese are OUT OF PAPER!!!

Since you're the expert on protocol(both Japanese and American) why don't you apply for the job?? You'll love the whip and high leather boots!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM

9,881 posts, read 8,754,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Since you are apparently so well versed on protocol please provide some information that says the Japanese were offended by Obama.
It's not my job to teach you. There are courses available if you are really interested in learning. I doubt you are.

http://www.iuj.ac.jp/gsir/syllabus/10/rec_5610.pdf

Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,623,275 times
Quote:
It's not my job to teach you. There are courses available if you are really interested in learning. I doubt you are.

http://www.iuj.ac.jp/gsir/syllabus/10/rec_5610.pdf
I read the linked document.

None of it supports your assertions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies