Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,207 times

Advertisements

In the school's defense, they do have to worry about litigation; the sharks are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I dunno. Sucker punching is the worst. I would never fault someone who got sucker punched for fighting back.
Without the video, you wouldnt know who the bully was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Punished for defending himself? No way - that's a HUGE part of what's wrong with schools now. And the mother of the bully's expectations as well apparently.
Since when were you allowed to fight in school and not expect to be punished, despite who the agressor is? 20-30 years ago when I went to school it was no different.. BOTH people got punished, regardless who started the fight..

I teach my kids to keep their hands to themself, and get adult help if they can. If they cant thats another story but the kid being puched could have made the same choice, he chose not to.. Yes, bad choices have consequences..

The way the bully was beat down, he's lucky he didnt hit his head or neck causing serious lifelong damages. Then the school and the family would be getting sued for not protecting the child, even though he was the one attacking..

Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The reality is all actions do not have fair consequences. The bully should have beed suspended. The victim should have gotten a hug and an appoligy from the principle for not taking care of his bullying problems long ago. He had been complaining for some time.
The bullying by the child wasn't the fault of the administrator. Why go there? Teachers and administrators spend a huge amount of time trying to keep children from being human beings. Violence is in our natures whether we want to admit it or not. While school personel really do try to keep bullying from happening all they can do is keep the level down. We cannot stop it completely.

As you have already indicated, this world isn't fair. Schools have their primary concerns, safety and education being the primary ones. In a multicultural society where everybody comes with a lawyer in their back pocket the school administrators had no other course he/she could have taken if only because life isn't fair for them either.

BTW, it's considered inadvisable for school personel to "hug" kids today. That can lead to misunderstandings that can get you fired. It really isn't a fair world is it?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Since when were you allowed to fight in school and not expect to be punished, despite who the agressor is? 20-30 years ago when I went to school it was no different.. BOTH people got punished, regardless who started the fight..
We obviously went to different school districts back in the day. In the 70s, the couple times I put a bully in their place, in full view of teachers, I got a pat on the back and a "good job" from some teachers, no comments from others. No other repercutions.

I never had an issue with the bullys again...nor did some other kids they liked to pick on. Today's policy is just assinine, it treats the victim the same as the perpetrator. Kind of like locking up a rape victim with the rapist, their both equally guilty, right?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Without the video, you wouldnt know who the bully was.

I teach my kids to keep their hands to themself, and get adult help if they can. If they cant thats another story but the kid being puched could have made the same choice, he chose not to.. Yes, bad choices have consequences..

The way the bully was beat down, he's lucky he didnt hit his head or neck causing serious lifelong damages. Then the school and the family would be getting sued for not protecting the child, even though he was the one attacking..
Video or not I don't think that smaller kid was going to quit hitting the other one. If you cut and run with a bully you will have signed yourself up for years of it.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
The little punk got what he deserved.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM

103 posts, read 157,567 times
Quote:

I don't think it should matter how this situation would have been handled 20-30 years ago.

I think that the real choice in this situation was that of the aggressor when he decided to physically attack the larger kid. If you're being punched in the face that tends to cloud your judgement. Add that to the fact that this isn't the first time that kid has dealt with this and you might not be able to imagine the frustration and emotional baggage that has built up over the (possibly) years.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
The bullying by the child wasn't the fault of the administrator. Why go there? Teachers and administrators spend a huge amount of time trying to keep children from being human beings. Violence is in our natures whether we want to admit it or not. While school personel really do try to keep bullying from happening all they can do is keep the level down. We cannot stop it completely.

As you have already indicated, this world isn't fair. Schools have their primary concerns, safety and education being the primary ones. In a multicultural society where everybody comes with a lawyer in their back pocket the school administrators had no other course he/she could have taken if only because life isn't fair for them either.

BTW, it's considered inadvisable for school personel to "hug" kids today. That can lead to misunderstandings that can get you fired. It really isn't a fair world is it?

I guessed you missed where I said the victim had been complaining of bullying for some time. IT IS the fault of the administrator. He should have done something about it long ago. His inaction emboldened the bully.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The mother of an Australian bully who's become an Internet sensation for being body-slammed on video by one of his victims says she wants an apology.

Mother of Bully Body-Slammed in Video Demands Apology From Her Son's Victim - FoxNews.com

OK, how's this for an apology:

* I'm sorry your kid is such a dumb-chit azzhat bully

* I'm sorry you're a terrible parent who should have never been allowed to breed

* I'm sorry you didn't receive a Darwin award before generating an evil spawn

* I'm sorry you're too stupid to realize that your kid got what he deserved

Well this does rather illusrate why her kid turned out so crappy.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 AM

81 posts, read 170,594 times
Regardless of the video, the bullying looks pretty 'standard' of what goes on in schools around the world. You don't need a video to know who's the bully and who's the victim in MOST instances. One kid trying to be the tough guy, the victim trying to mind his own business and avoid a confrontation and A BUNCH of people standing around watching it and doing NOTHING to stop the fight. What is also standard, sadly, is the victim getting the same punishment as the bully. If the administrators and teachers are so concerned for the safety of their students, they should be paying attention to avoid these incidents and taking care of the issues with bullies as soon as the first incident is reported. I'm sure this wasn't the first time this bully taunted this kid, probably bullied other kids as well. And I'm also sure that those 'caring' administrators and teachers have dismissed this and many other incidents reported to them. What's their punishment for allowing a bully to walk around and torment other students? Google the story and you will find the report and interviews with former and current students talking about the rampant violence and bullying at this particular school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies