U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 AM
 
6,294 posts, read 6,145,288 times
Reputation: 2241

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Because people like you refuse to accept them.
Even if it is true (which is not), it still proves my argument: they have difficulties in assimilation.
Pay attention to your logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2013, 01:47 AM
 
1,127 posts, read 746,381 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Even if it is true (which is not), it still proves my argument: they have difficulties in assimilation.
Pay attention to your logic.
Many people despise and reject most Hispanics, and it's the Hispanics fault that they are not fitting in??

They are assimilating just fine, but not with your crowd or definition of what an "true American" is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,210,401 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Many people despise and reject most Hispanics, and it's the Hispanics fault that they are not fitting in??

They are assimilating just fine, but not with your crowd or definition of what an "true American" is
One common theme iIve noted amongst Americans who claim Hispanics are not assimilating, seem to live in a border city (which is never fully integrated into the host country for obvious reasons compared to the rest of that country) or live in some smaller city in the Midwest, South, or northern Plains. Hispanics are assimilating just fine. They just assume that every Hispanic they see is a first generation immigrant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,024,115 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
No need to give an accurate definition. But we all know who are not considered 100% American in this country, unless you deny it. I am not judging it either, just stating the fact.
Some would probably disagree with the American military culture that has shaped me, and how I am (like "theunbrainwashed", I don't really follow "American" sports) would probably be vastly different from an American male in a metropolitan area. You say there is no need to give an "accurate" definition, but point is you probably can't give a "one size fits all" for Americans that excludes those of other countries. How can I know whether someone fits your view of what an American is if you can't even say what that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 AM
 
1,127 posts, read 746,381 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
One common theme iIve noted amongst Americans who claim Hispanics are not assimilating, seem to live in a border city (which is never fully integrated into the host country for obvious reasons compared to the rest of that country) or live in some smaller city in the Midwest, South, or northern Plains. Hispanics are assimilating just fine. They just assume that every Hispanic they see is a first generation immigrant
Not always, I've met people who live in cities or their suburbs and make the same stupid claims.

Sometimes it's even self loathing " my parents are from Spain not Mexico" Hispanics who make the claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,024,115 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
One common theme iIve noted amongst Americans who claim Hispanics are not assimilating, seem to live in a border city (which is never fully integrated into the host country for obvious reasons compared to the rest of that country) or live in some smaller city in the Midwest, South, or northern Plains. Hispanics are assimilating just fine. They just assume that every Hispanic they see is a first generation immigrant
And many times, assume that Hispanic they see is an illegal immigrant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,024,115 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Even if it is true (which is not), it still proves my argument: they have difficulties in assimilation.
Pay attention to your logic.
We can agree that you using the term "assimilation" is defining who you think is an "American"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,210,401 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And many times, assume that Hispanic they see is an illegal immigrant...
Gotta love that little gem. When I reveal myself as someone of Hispanic heritage, the immediate question then is, are you Mexican?

You know I always wanted to know, are the Mexicans living in southern Texas since the Texas Republic American or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Not always, I've met people who live in cities or their suburbs and make the same stupid claims.

Sometimes it's even self loathing " my parents are from Spain not Mexico" Hispanics who make the claim.
There are those as well. Though I think the suburbanites are the more guilty ones since most suburbs are homogenous and suburbanites don't really have contact with others outside of their "situation".

Can't say I've met any of those sort. I know they exist, just never personally met any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 AM
 
Location: Japan
9,555 posts, read 3,831,960 times
Reputation: 6122
Hispanics have been in America a very long time, yet have not assimilated to the Euro-American mean. That point was pretty thoroughly made by Samuel Huntington in his 2004 essay.

The Hispanic Challenge - By Samuel P. Huntington | Foreign Policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 AM
 
1,127 posts, read 746,381 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Hispanics have been in America a very long time, yet have not assimilated to the Euro-American mean. That point was pretty thoroughly made by Samuel Huntington in his 2004 essay.

The Hispanic Challenge - By Samuel P. Huntington | Foreign Policy
Huntington hated Mexicans more than Lou Dobbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top