Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 01:28 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Hispanics have been in America a very long time, yet have not assimilated to the Euro-American mean. That point was pretty thoroughly made by Samuel Huntington in his 2004 essay.

The Hispanic Challenge - By Samuel P. Huntington | Foreign Policy
Gotta love it when a site puts up a splash screen that won't clear unless you sign up for an account...

It's probably for the better anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
I'm not religious, and not politically correct, and not buying any ideology based on "hope" instead of fact.

Facts:
(1) All Hispanic countries failed;
(2) Hispanic immigrants, legal or not, do not assimilate well;
(3) Most liberals (real liberals not liberals by convenience) do not want to live in a Hispanic neighborhood.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Even if it is true (which is not), it still proves my argument: they have difficulties in assimilation.
Pay attention to your logic.
oh boy here we go again...

Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Gotta love it when a site puts up a splash screen that won't clear unless you sign up for an account...

It's probably for the better anyway...
Yeah, now I'm getting the same thing when I click on that. Anyway, you can read it here:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/blogs/g...eHispanicC.pdf

Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
oh boy here we go again...
Not even relevant.

We are talking about the US will be dominated by Hispanics. It WILL.
Jews, Japanese etc. are totally irrelevant.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Based on the law of averages, if Joe Schmo American asks why illegal aliens can't come to the United States like his ancestors did, conceptually they have. Most of the time (unless Black), they won't have any idea how their ancestors got here, but still want to attach labels like "legal" on it to make themselves feel better. I've researched my family history extensively (don't believe the stories passed down through generations, they're often wrong or misleading, go for the archived documents and apply some critical thinking), finding several passenger lists, but never any landing or immigration processing records.

Citizenship documents I have for ancestors and their families definitely show the residency requirements being ignored, and there wasn't even attempts made to conceal it. It was a local deal worked out with the presiding judge in the community, often the same national ancestry as the immigrant themselves. I can say it has no comparison to what a legal immigrant has to go through these days to naturalize.
Well most people don't dig into their ancestor's past to find out exactly under what conditions they got here and most likely the majority of them did come within the laws in place at the time or the absence of any laws. I don't know why you are so obssessed with focusing on other people's ancestry in regards to how they got here when all that matters is our immigration laws in place today. It is as if you think that if someone has an ancestor who came here illegally long ago they should support illegal immigration today. If I have a bank robber in my past should I support bank robbery today? That to me is precisely what you are implying. So what if someone "thinks" their ancestors came legally but don't know for sure why are you making an issue out of it? Should that change their opposition to illegal immigration today?

As for your comments that the legal process is much harder to go through today than it was in the past what is your point of bringing that up? Are you trying to justify illegal immigration today because after all it is too hard to come here legally? A lot has changed from the past. Seek changes to make it easier then and stop complaining all the time and making comparisons to the past.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Interesting part is that it started OUT as a Hispanic country. Spain reached here in the 15th century, first serious English settlement in the 17th century. There was, at one time, a real possibility that the major ethnic group would be Hispanic. Imagine if the Sephardic Jews had fled here instead of places east of Spain. Think how different our culture might be.
Doesn't matter who got here first. Non-hispanic Europeans became the majority in our country and we adopted English as our de facto national language along with a blend of their cultures. A large number of the Spanish migrated south of our border and Mexico and other Latin America countries became Hispanic in identity, we didn't. So why speculate about what might have been? Hispanics dominate 23 countries on the Western Hemisphere. Do they want the USA and Canada also?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Spaniards don't perform genocide. Anglos do.
Are you joking? What do you think the Spanish did to the native indians south of our border?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Sez you...

I've got four Mexican immigrants here that have adapted fabulously...
But they came here legally and are living with a non-hispanic white American....you. It makes a big difference when one comes here legally rather than illegally and they don't move into some Hispanic barrio where they can get along not learning English and the culture is just like the one they left behind. Assimilation fails then.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Unless they can change their skin color, hardcore xenophobes will never be satisfied, and even then it might not be enough
It has nothing to do with skin color. It's about changing our culture and identity as a nation via illegal immigration. Are you still spouting your nonsense? A xenophobe has a fear of strangers. Just what ethnic group/race is a stranger to our country that isn't here legally already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies