U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:48 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,385,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Usually that is only a problem for fist-generation immigrants, provided the parents feel welcome and are thus willing to learn English themselves. When they don't feel welcome and are afraid they might be sent back south again, they will not make the effort to learn English, but instead become part of a parallel culture which indeed is a problem.
I agree. It must be the fault of citizens that illegals don't feel WELCOME. And I guess it's fine as long as it's only one generation that won't speak English...well if it isn't your kid that is getting dumbed down in the process I guess. I guess Americans are just selfish for not wanting their children to receive subpar educations so that someone here trying to "feed their family" on the backs of citizens can thrive.

America is such a rich country, no poverty, thriving government....maybe we should just give Mexico what they need to build their OWN infrastructure and create their OWN jobs. Lord knows we have way too much of that going on in the states. I feel guilty.

How many of the open border people also realize that the middle class is diminishing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:48 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,333,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This doesn't change hispanics invading 2 continents
A difficult question. Who invaded South America and turned it into a Hispanic continent in the first place? Not the same people who now immigrate to the US, Canada, and Europe.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,385,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
More power to them, if that is the way things are trending, then there aint nothing you racists, who frequently use the term 'breeding like rabbits' to describe increases in hispanic populations, can do about it. Back in the 1800's German immigrants were the target of the vile hatred, the Irish had their day as the target, as did the italians, Poles, etc. as they had waves of immigration. I agree that illegal immigration is a big problem, but to just think that the answer is to sink into the base racial stereotyping and other hating that I see and hear from those who one might never suspect of such low mentality reactions to a problem, is not the right way- or the Christian way as many who I hear making these type of anti hispanic tirades. I have had to defriend many on facebook after they had posted hateful, racist anti immigration(thinly veiled anti hispanic) posts. I am a german/irish/serbian/polish mishmash myself, and have laways loved hispanic culture, and have no problem is that is the future of this country-I am the type who instead of crying out to pass laws to try to enforce an 'English only' mentality would rather use my time to try to learn spanish myself- stop the hating people
A period is your friend, in more ways than one.

Why should a forty something American be forced to speak Spanish in order to get a job in their own country? If we were all forced to speak Chinese tomorrow, would you have a job?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 PM

17,283 posts, read 24,981,129 times
Quote:
A difficult question. Who invaded South America and turned it into a Hispanic continent in the first place? Not the same people who now immigrate to the US, Canada, and Europe.
Well, some of them are the same people. From some countries, it's actually those rich and powerful elites that are leaving (Venezuela, for example) for the United States.

In places like Mexico, however, the ruling elite are more than happy to push their "problem populations" (i.e., indigenous and poor) into the United States!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I agree. It must be the fault of citizens that illegals don't feel WELCOME. And I guess it's fine as long as it's only one generation that won't speak English...well if it isn't your kid that is getting dumbed down in the process I guess. I guess Americans are just selfish for not wanting their children to receive subpar educations so that someone here trying to "feed their family" on the backs of citizens can thrive.

America is such a rich country, no poverty, thriving government....maybe we should just give Mexico what they need to build their OWN infrastructure and create their OWN jobs. Lord knows we have way too much of that going on in the states. I feel guilty.

How many of the open border people also realize that the middle class is diminishing?

What exactly are we talking about? Illegals or Hispanics? They are not the same.
I think a lot of people hide their xenophobia behind the economic crisis...

Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM

17,283 posts, read 24,981,129 times
Quote:

What exactly are we talking about? Illegals or Hispanics? They are not the same.
I think a lot of people hide their xenophobia behind the economic crisis...

Is it not also a form of xenophobia if you are an immigrant to a new land and culture and refuse to integrate yourself into that culture?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:59 PM

124 posts, read 144,896 times
I can only see the politicians doing nothing about the illegal situation because this translate into votes but eventually they will vote their own who represent their interest. How short-sighted can they be. Are the politicians so far removed from this situation that even the rational everyday working citizen sees this as an invasion, yet they haven't reacted in a way that conveys the seriousness of the problem. When Obama is on tv talking about legalization of anchor babies, I just can't agree with this.

Last edited by lotsoflov1232; 03-18-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: add-on

Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
More power to them, if that is the way things are trending, then there aint nothing you racists, who frequently use the term 'breeding like rabbits' to describe increases in hispanic populations, can do about it. Back in the 1800's German immigrants were the target of the vile hatred, the Irish had their day as the target, as did the italians, Poles, etc. as they had waves of immigration. I agree that illegal immigration is a big problem, but to just think that the answer is to sink into the base racial stereotyping and other hating that I see and hear from those who one might never suspect of such low mentality reactions to a problem, is not the right way- or the Christian way as many who I hear making these type of anti hispanic tirades. I have had to defriend many on facebook after they had posted hateful, racist anti immigration(thinly veiled anti hispanic) posts. I am a german/irish/serbian/polish mishmash myself, and have laways loved hispanic culture, and have no problem is that is the future of this country-I am the type who instead of crying out to pass laws to try to enforce an 'English only' mentality would rather use my time to try to learn spanish myself- stop the hating people
You seem over joyed they are invading this country. They are leeching off of American wealth & are big hypocrites trying to steal land invading two continents.

They need to go back to their country its too many of them,and they have no allegiance to this country

Theodore Roosevelt said it best

Quote:
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.
But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM

528 posts, read 394,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes, because "cowboy culture" is the core of American culture.

Your post leads me to believe your "study" of what Latin culture is, is that of a privileged white "academic" perspective than any real immersion or first person experience in the cultures themselevs.

But, pray tell, what else about Mexican culture do you think we need "more of" here in the United States? The Mexican legal tradition? Their reputation for plurality and progressivism? How about the role of women?
I did not say that the cowboy culture is the core of U.S. culture, only that it is a stereotypical one that is in the back of the minds of those who think 'America'-just like how when I mention I am from Chicago while traveling people think of Capone and his gang- and used it as just one example of how lattin culture has influenced what it today considered 'American culture' (I would love to hear what you think of as 'American culture') -cultural integration is a good thing that can only make for a more interesting and stronger culture here- to think that latin cultures have nothing to offer is just closed minded-all cultures have added to what is unique about the U.S. culture today-

As for your belief that I have a 'priviledged 'academic' perspective of latin culture, that actually makes me smile- wish it were true-my life has been far from a 'priviledged' or 'academic' upbringing-I grew up poor in a large Catholic family, yes white, but I had many neighboirhood friends who were born to Mexican immigrants-I spent alot of time at their homes, and ate many meals there, spent the night, in short lived my youth in close enough contact to know a little bit-I found their families to be honest hard working and although faced with many struggles, they were always ready to help out a neighbor or to lend a bed to one who needed it- in short just typical good people-I was lucky enough to have had a job that allowed me to travel to many latin american countries and was lucky enough to experience some of what their cultures offer first hand-
I am not saying that their culture is all perfection, lord knows ours sure isnt, or that we need to become them, just that there are things that all people have to offer from their cultures and those who talk in scare tactics are just being short sighted about the whole issue-
Our country has gone through so many changes from its beginnings as colonies of England-I see it all as a journey along a road and I do realize there are those that would rather just stop and stay at one point along the road, but there is nowhere to go but forward on that road-

Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, some of them are the same people. From some countries, it's actually those rich and powerful elites that are leaving (Venezuela, for example) for the United States.

In places like Mexico, however, the ruling elite are more than happy to push their "problem populations" (i.e., indigenous and poor) into the United States!
Most people in Latin America (except for the more Southern regions) are ethnically quite similar to the people who have always lived in what is now Latin America (and even the US, but native Americans such as Cherokees happen not to speak Spanish). The Hispanic element, which is largely a linguistic one, was just an additional layer on top. Plus of course the elite, who tend to be more European than the rest of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies