U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 02:17 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,308,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Is it not also a form of xenophobia if you are an immigrant to a new land and culture and refuse to integrate yourself into that culture?
Sure, if they refuse to integrate without being having been rejected. In Europe they have the same problem, people who only migrate there for economic reasons, but apart from that don't like Europe and thus stick together instead of integrating themselves.
Then again, hasn't that always been the case? Migrations have always been mostly about economic improvement for one's own family. I guess the modern notion of emigration is a rather romantic one, one that is not very old, similar to our notion of marriage.
Did the first Europeans who came to what is now the US integrate with native Americans? Certainly not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 PM

124 posts, read 144,767 times
Special request - it is not racist. It's common sense. You can't let people just run rampant into the country and not expect repercussions, its a take-over from where I'm at, complete neighborhoods changed because a family, extended family will take over a whole block. It would be different if they are integrating themselves but I find the majority are rude, the women just stump all over women's rights which the women in the US fought hard for, their display of racism sets the US back to the 1950's. We are going backwards. You find yourself a stranger in a foreign land in what is suppose to be the United States.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:31 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sure, if they refuse to integrate without being having been rejected.
Americans by and large BEG for immigrants to integrate. Most of Hispanic people's "problems" and "prejudices felt" would evaporate if they made as much effort at being American as they do trying to hold on to the motherland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling
Then again, hasn't that always been the case? Migrations have always been mostly about economic improvement for one's own family.
Most of the time, yes. But in this day and age, circumstances are usually such that there is a wide variety of options to choose from. Indeed, with each year it's getting less and less accurate to describe places like Mexico as countries in dire poverty. Especially when the world's richest man comes from Mexico.

Quote:
I guess the modern notion of emigration is a rather romantic one, one that is not very old, similar to our notion of marriage.
I don't think so. Isn't the saying, "When in Rome," a very old saying?

Quote:
Did the first Europeans who came to what is now the US integrate with native Americans? Certainly not.
No, they didn't, and it resulted in disastrous consequences. Then again, back then the perspective was that the Natives were heathens and uncivilized. I like to think we have progressed just a tad in our thoughts.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM

528 posts, read 394,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

What exactly are we talking about? Illegals or Hispanics? They are not the same.
I think a lot of people hide their xenophobia behind the economic crisis...
Good point, I am seeing the same thing a lot. People using the chicken little cry of 'illegal alien' to mask an attack on anyone of latin ancestry.

I am more worried myself about the economic damage that corporations and politicians are doing to our economy than the influx of latin immigrants. That is the real cause of lack of jobs in this country. It is a lot easier to attack immigrants, it has been a U.S. tradition all through our 200 plus year history to do so.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM

47,316 posts, read 24,612,722 times
Who cares? If they're growing at such a high rate, then it behooves folks to be nice to them.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:36 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,328,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
As opposed to what? A Russkie country? A limey country? Go ahead... instead of a Euro country. But wait, hispanic is of Spanish decent and Spain is in Europe.

And what about that discriminatory blank to fill in for what color are you?

Are you white or not? If white, are you of hispanic origin? So, wouldn't you mean the U.S. is becoming a white of hispanic origin? So really... what's the difference?

And what about Canada. They also are in America. Is Canada also becoming overcome by hispanic blood?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:38 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest;
to think that latin cultures have nothing to offer is just closed minded-all cultures have added to what is unique about the U.S. culture today-
Nobody has said Latin cultures have "nothing" to offer. The problem is that America works best for EVERYONE if newcomers ADD to the melting pot of cultures, not overwhelm it and transform it fundamentally. I am optomistic that even the most stubborn reconquista elements will eventually become "Americanized," but I don't understand wh

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest
I am not saying that their culture is all perfection, lord knows ours sure isnt, or that we need to become them, just that there are things that all people have to offer from their cultures and those who talk in scare tactics are just being short sighted about the whole issue-
Again, what is it about Latin culture that you would like to see more of in the United States. I have heard "family orientedness," but quite frankly, that smacks a little too closely to our own home grown Christian conservatism that we have ENOUGH of, thank you. "Hard working"? Americans on average work harder and are more productive than countries South of the Border.

Is it food? I'm all for varieties of food. Language? I'd rather have the continental version than what passes as Spanish in some Latin American countries.... really, I'm at a loss.

What is it that you want more of, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest
Our country has gone through so many changes from its beginnings as colonies of England-I see it all as a journey along a road and I do realize there are those that would rather just stop and stay at one point along the road, but there is nowhere to go but forward on that road-
As romantic as that sounds, if the road is increased numbers of poor people and continued non-stop streams of unskilled workers, this "road to the future" that you describe is something that will end in degredation of the American standard of living, and an erosion of the social safety net. Nobody ever moves to Guatemala because it's a well organized, well run country that attracts talent and innovation from around the world.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:38 PM

528 posts, read 394,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You seem over joyed they are invading this country. They are leeching off of American wealth & are big hypocrites trying to steal land invading two continents.

They need to go back to their country its too many of them,and they have no allegiance to this country

Theodore Roosevelt said it best
Don't worry -the sky is not falling.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM

5,513 posts, read 4,813,816 times
This is a result of government for you.
Open borders with no restrictions breeds populations over normal rates. States are going bankrupt, states don't know what actual legitimate work force we they have and the federal government sits on their hands and ignores it. Yet they spend trillions on fighting terrorist so they can leave the backdoor open for cheap labor.
SOLUTION? CLOSE THE DAM BORDERS and we should have done it even for security reasons after 9-11 no matter who crazy our foreign policy is we should get those borders secure.
Isn't this common sense or does government expect to lie to our faces forever and expect us to ignore it.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,308,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Americans by and large BEG for immigrants to integrate. Most of Hispanic people's "problems" and "prejudices felt" would evaporate if they made as much effort at being American as they do trying to hold on to the motherland.

Most of the time, yes. But in this day and age, circumstances are usually such that there is a wide variety of options to choose from. Indeed, with each year it's getting less and less accurate to describe places like Mexico as countries in dire poverty. Especially when the world's richest man comes from Mexico.

I don't think so. Isn't the saying, "When in Rome," a very old saying?

No, they didn't, and it resulted in disastrous consequences. Then again, back then the perspective was that the Natives were heathens and uncivilized. I like to think we have progressed just a tad in our thoughts.
I don't think humans have changed much inside. We still have that stone-age thinking, which is probably in our genes.

Regarding the Rome saying. There are lots of Americans living in Europe, Japan and elsewhere, who never bother to learn the local language. If the Americans set a good example, ok, but I don't think they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies