Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 06:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Like moths to a flame, threads about Hispanics attract bigots, rednecks, reactionaries, xenophobes, and white power nutcases.
A liar's candle only lasts until evening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 06:07 PM

589 posts, read 756,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
I think you misunderstand me, if you look at my original post in this thread, I admit to there being a big illegal immigration problem. I am not saying I want to let in unlimited immigration. I do not try to say I know the answer to this problem. My point is that I feel that there are those that use the problem to attack hispanics in general, and attack their culture as well, a culture that I have found interesting and one like many that has given things to the melting pot that is the U.S. I am not looking to go back to 1900, far from it-far too many people think that they can go back to some point in history that they have some sort of nostalgia for. I am saying that if you look at the trends in population in this country, the white european anglo or whatever you wish to call them is going to be a small minority of the population of this country (and the world for that matter) and there is nothing that is going to stop that. I am just saying that it would be wiser to accept the fact. I hear a lot of people using rhetoric and scare tactics regarding immigration as a way to vent about their racist feelings for hispanics. I have heared complaints about neighborhoods being 'over run' and the like, but if you look at any major city, there are areas that become enclaves to different ethnicities- it is just human nature to stick with those who share your beliefs, cultures, etc. in Chicago there are Polish neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods, Indian neighborhoods, etc. It becomes tiring to hear hispanics singled out for behaviors as immigrants that all the other waves of immigrants-i.e. Irish, Swedish, Poles, Germans, etc. did when they came over here in waves in the past.

Most of the problems really come down to White people not having enough kids, their population is starting to go the way of the dinosaur. If they had as many kids as Hispanics do, then guess what ? Those young white folks would be the ones buying homes in "their" neighborhood and not young Hispanic people. There is just alot more young Hispanic/Black/Asian/Muslim people in the general population that there are Whites. Someone has to buy those homes afterall.

And even without immigration this country would never be like it was in 1900. The black population is growing fast to. So if Hispanics were not here then America would be a Black majority country in the far future instead. The black population nearly tripled from 1950 to today, the White one did not even come close to doubling in those years. Just pure math. /shrug.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
A liar's candle only lasts until evening
struck a nerve I see

Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I do think we're becoming more bilingual. Boxes now have at least Spanish along with English on the outside. Only here in Texas the Spanish side is always showing and I don't know Spanish that well so I either have to turn the box myself or ask a salesperson to do it so I can read about the product.

The guy at HD told me that they were instructed to put the Spanish wording facing the customers.
I asked him why they couldn't do 1/2 Spanish and the other 1/2 English ..he shrugged.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:31 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post

And this is a good thing because ? Most Spanish speaking countries are 3rd world banana republics with high rates of crime and poverty, not fully developed 1st world countries with a high standard of living. You really want the U.S to be more like Latin America ? Latin American societies have more cons than pros.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
I don't care if they are white, hispanic, or any other race. Anyone who can't afford to breed and raise chidren in a decent manner should be sterilized, and all welfare funding for those who have more than 2 kids should be cut. If after this Hispanics are rising socioeconomically, doing well for themselves, and continue to grow in population, then that is totally fine with me. But right now breeding and welfare go together like bacteria in in a media culture bottle. At some point the whole thing will become so toxic that it's unsustainable.

I don't care about the bilingual issue. I'm already learning multiple languages by osmosis. But what if there were a majority of poor people demanding welfare (that they are used to getting)? I sense political domination of a poor (and selfish, by default) population that is not going to be choosing the best outcome for society, as well as general increase in crime, unrest, and riots.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
It is what it is. I live in a border city. Most jobs require you to be bilingual in English and Spanish.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:55 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Most of the problems really come down to White people not having enough kids, their population is starting to go the way of the dinosaur. If they had as many kids as Hispanics do, then guess what ? Those young white folks would be the ones buying homes in "their" neighborhood and not young Hispanic people. There is just alot more young Hispanic/Black/Asian/Muslim people in the general population that there are Whites. Someone has to buy those homes afterall.
Historically, more educated and wealthier groups have fewer children. We can look to Western Europe to view a similar trend, where the white population has also flat-lined and even declined slightly. In a post-industrial economy, this is actually quite normal as income and education rise (regardless of race).

But don't expect to being viewing whites at extinct animal exhibits any time soon.

Last edited by Frankie117; 03-18-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I don't care if they are white, hispanic, or any other race. Anyone who can't afford to breed and raise chidren in a decent manner should be sterilized, and all welfare funding for those who have more than 2 kids should be cut. If after this Hispanics are rising socioeconomically, doing well for themselves, and continue to grow in population, then that is totally fine with me. But right now breeding and welfare go together like bacteria in in a media culture bottle. At some point the whole thing will become so toxic that it's unsustainable.

I don't care about the bilingual issue. I'm already learning multiple languages by osmosis. But what if there were a majority of poor people demanding welfare (that they are used to getting)? I sense political domination of a poor (and selfish, by default) population that is not going to be choosing the best outcome for society, as well as general increase in crime, unrest, and riots.
Eugenics has long been a favorite tactic of racists.

In this day and age there is no way you are going to achieve forced sterilization in this country.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
And this is a good thing because ? Most Spanish speaking countries are 3rd world banana republics with high rates of crime and poverty, not fully developed 1st world countries with a high standard of living. You really want the U.S to be more like Latin America ? Latin American societies have more cons than pros.
Looks the economic trends of the United States:

A decreasing middle class

More people living below the poverty level or in need of public assistance

An increasing wealth gap as incomes for the richest 10% continue to grow while middle class incomes stagnate.

It looks like we are well on your way.

The irony here is the economy in places like Brazil, Colombia and other South American countries are growing and their middle class is increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies