Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
They blend in very well here, and my wife probably knows more people in my hometown than I do now. "Oldglory" thinks there is some loyalty issues of why they haven't naturalized yet (despite qualifying by the amount of time), but probably classifies me as the bigger danger to America. It's not just Hispanics that they view as being a threat to society.
I don't recall saying anything like that about your family. Perhaps you can quote me on that? Those like you are a danger to our society because you think that illegals should get a pass on our immigration laws via amnesty in spite of the negative impact on your own citizens. Deny it if you want but I think it is because of your Mexican family even though they came legally. You are sympathetic to "all" Mexicans because of your family ties to them includiing the illegal kind.

I don't view Hispanics as a threat to our society if they come here legally and assimilate and expect their ethnic group to do the same. Far too many Hispanic citizens do not, however. The tribal mentality trumps everything including our immigration laws. Another thing is that in order to maintain our national identity we need to bring diversity back into our immigration numbers rather than favoring one national or ethnic group. You seem to have a problem with that sane policy. I don't understand why but then again maybe it goes back to my paragraph one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Of course, when some define "assimilation" to mean becoming White enough for acceptance...
What's that supposed to mean? One cannot change their race. It is about becoming American not white. It's about assimilation into our mainstream culture and learning and speaking English.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
This won't be good for the Gay Agenda in this country. The Hispanics are about 99% Catholic and very conservative morally. I see many of these idiotic liberal laws being rolled back in the future when they become the majority.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
We can agree that you using the term "assimilation" is defining who you think is an "American"...
Being an American means that is your nationality. As for culture we do have an identifying one and the English langauge is a part of our identitying culture. Most of our other cultural traits have been a blend of mostly European cultures over the years aka a melting pot. Out of many "one". Not two, three or a dozen.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is not a question. The US WILL be dominated by Hispanics.

Dominate what?

3-4 generations out most "Hispanic" children can only speak a god-awful version of Spanglish and carry their (usually Spanish) last names.

The ones that cling to their culture and refuse to assimilate will not find success in America outside of their immigrant communities.

Witness Miami - where Hispanics (of all races, but mostly white Hispanics) run the show, and where there's a huge melting of a dozen Hispanic cultures that then get folded into the American culture ---- but despite what everyone says, you really DO need English to live in Miami and DON'T need Spanish unless you're dealing with the lower economic rung.

America is not just black/white, Hispanics too must learn to communicate and live with people of many backgrounds.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
They blend in very well here, and my wife probably knows more people in my hometown than I do now. "Oldglory" thinks there is some loyalty issues of why they haven't naturalized yet (despite qualifying by the amount of time), but probably classifies me as the bigger danger to America. It's not just Hispanics that they view as being a threat to society.
They blend in well because many towns in New Mexico are dominated by Hispanics.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Many people despise and reject most Hispanics, and it's the Hispanics fault that they are not fitting in??

They are assimilating just fine, but not with your crowd or definition of what an "true American" is
Most people only despise those here illegally and their ethnocentric supporters.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Well, congrats, that's very white of you!

Point is, this was Native land that Europeans came uninvited and took over. Now people complain about the same land being invaded.
If that bugs you that much; maybe you need to go "back" to where YOUR family came from. I'm an American; I was born here to 2 US citizens and I'm NOT going "back" to Ireland. Like I said before; the Indians were no angels either with each other and they were taken down by the Hispanics in what is now Mexico. Yes; word is some Irish tried to come here before 1492 and the Indians chased or killed them off.

Then Mexico needs to shut up when they're being invaded by Guatemalans or is its "Ok" for just the US to be invaded??

Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This won't be good for the Gay Agenda in this country. The Hispanics are about 99% Catholic and very conservative morally. I see many of these idiotic liberal laws being rolled back in the future when they become the majority.

Another reason to keep the poor and uneducated from streaming unchecked across the border, as they often carry with them their silly superstitions masquerading as "values."

Latin America is a developmental wasteland at present (accounting for just 3% of the world's research and development, and lack of education mixed with religiosity is probably a big part of the problem).

But let's face some stark truths here: MEXICO has de facto gay marriage. Uruguay and Argentia, the same. In this way, many Latin American countries are way ahead of the issue.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Argentina used to be a wealthy nation, more so than the US. Then it went into long term decline but has recently started to upswing again. So, if you're implying whiteness is correlated to a country's success, why is Argentina a developing nation today when the country, according to the CIA, is 97% white? So clearly implying by the right on here that claims the US will begin decline because of fewer white people is asinine.
Where did "bettafish" say "white"? The poster said "Hispanic"! Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies