U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 01:31 PM

7,311 posts, read 6,909,616 times

Advertisements

"Interfaith service involves people from different religious and non-religious backgrounds tackling community challenges together – for example, Protestants, Catholics, Muslims and Jews building a Habitat for Humanity house together across religious lines. Interfaith service impacts specific community challenges, from homelessness to mentoring to the environment, while building social capital and civility.

. . .

"American colleges, universities, seminaries and rabbinical schools have often been at the forefront of solving our nation’s greatest challenges. That is why the White House is inviting higher education institutions to make the vision for interfaith cooperation a reality on campuses across the country."

White House Launches Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge | The White House

----------

There are many, many, many issues a President has to tackle and juggle; from the national economy, the federal budget and unemployment to international relations and foreign trade and more. But one of the less focused-on, but more recently critical aspects of his (or her) job is the overall tone and tenor of our national discourse and degree of cooperation as a nation, especially one trying to rebuild after a disastrous collapse of nearly every domestic concern.

Although I have always been a very strong supporter of Barack Obama, I will admit that he has occasionally failed in that last regard. He may have meant well, but he didn't do us any favors when he declared that police "acted stupidly" in the arrest of Professor Henry Gates. His rhetoric to the Latino community, in an effort to encourage them to "get out the vote" by declaring "we’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us," was very bad form.

But in spite of the occasional human slip-up, by and large this President has at least tried to do more to create a tone of unity and cooperation than we've seen in decades. And although some are disappointed that he appears not to have brought the "hope and change" to Washington that he campaigned on, it is important to remember that he has always said that change can only happen from the bottom, up.

And in that regard, I applaud him with a standing ovation for this latest effort. If we are going to progress at all as a united nation, we are going to have to get to know each other as individuals and not blanket stereotypes. We're going to have to learn to work together to build our communities to achieve the dream that we all envision. And focusing on the generation that will soon be taking over the reigns of government, industry and our education system, is an outstanding step in that regard.

Discuss.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM

16,553 posts, read 11,061,623 times
Quote:
by and large this President has at least tried to do more to create a tone of unity and cooperation than we've seen in decades.
Yeah....BS on that one.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,200,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
"Interfaith service involves people from different religious and non-religious backgrounds tackling community challenges together – for example, Protestants, Catholics, Muslims and Jews building a Habitat for Humanity house together across religious lines. Interfaith service impacts specific community challenges, from homelessness to mentoring to the environment, while building social capital and civility.

. . .

"American colleges, universities, seminaries and rabbinical schools have often been at the forefront of solving our nation’s greatest challenges. That is why the White House is inviting higher education institutions to make the vision for interfaith cooperation a reality on campuses across the country."

White House Launches Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge | The White House

----------

There are many, many, many issues a President has to tackle and juggle; from the national economy, the federal budget and unemployment to international relations and foreign trade and more. But one of the less focused-on, but more recently critical aspects of his (or her) job is the overall tone and tenor of our national discourse and degree of cooperation as a nation, especially one trying to rebuild after a disastrous collapse of nearly every domestic concern.

Although I have always been a very strong supporter of Barack Obama, I will admit that he has occasionally failed in that last regard. He may have meant well, but he didn't do us any favors when he declared that police "acted stupidly" in the arrest of Professor Henry Gates. His rhetoric to the Latino community, in an effort to encourage them to "get out the vote" by declaring "we’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us," was very bad form.

But in spite of the occasional human slip-up, by and large this President has at least tried to do more to create a tone of unity and cooperation than we've seen in decades. And although some are disappointed that he appears not to have brought the "hope and change" to Washington that he campaigned on, it is important to remember that he has always said that change can only happen from the bottom, up.

And in that regard, I applaud him with a standing ovation for this latest effort. If we are going to progress at all as a united nation, we are going to have to get to know each other as individuals and not blanket stereotypes. We're going to have to learn to work together to build our communities to achieve the dream that we all envision. And focusing on the generation that will soon be taking over the reigns of government, industry and our education system, is an outstanding step in that regard.

Discuss.
I agree with you on working together. The problem is that the tactics of divide and conquer (utilized in the most blatant way) by career politicians have become more prevalent: I dont recall elections before 2000 being as hate-filled with (like in the Tucson instance) candidates handling a Glock and posing, letting audience learn about weapons, etc.....

The area I currntly live, gun shows are still rather open (have never visited one, but its way popular in middle Tennessee). This is also the state where they want to make a law where its illegal to be Muslim. That being said I am moving, so dont want to elaborate on the attitudes here. (a whole new thread unto itself).

To end on a positive note, change can be internal, a private spiritual or change of heart ....a person may come to realize they want to make things better, instead of worse. It is a start. I hope to see it....somewhere....

Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM

7,311 posts, read 6,909,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

I agree with you on working together. The problem is that the tactics of divide and conquer (utilized in the most blatant way) by career politicians have become more prevalent: I dont recall elections before 2000 being as hate-filled with (like in the Tucson instance) candidates handling a Glock and posing, letting audience learn about weapons, etc.....

The area I currntly live, gun shows are still rather open (have never visited one, but its way popular in middle Tennessee). This is also the state where they want to make a law where its illegal to be Muslim. That being said I am moving, so dont want to elaborate on the attitudes here. (a whole new thread unto itself).

To end on a positive note, change can be internal, a private spiritual or change of heart ....a person may come to realize they want to make things better, instead of worse. It is a start. I hope to see it....somewhere....
Thanks, dream!

(I'm guessing you're too young to remember Lee Atwater. That's probably a good thing.)

Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,200,696 times
oh yes, I saw a doc. on him on PBS: interesting how after all he "aquired" he turns Catholic only at a time of terminal illness.

I wish people could acquire more humanity, (a utopian [aka impossible] society, lol). Its is nice Obama is making the effort though, and did you notice how quiet and trashed up-celebrity-driven the far right media became after the Tucson tragedy?

They all proliferate violence, profit off Americans divided, and then pretend they had no role in it.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 PM

5,160 posts, read 6,618,168 times
I guess I don't seem his trying to be more unifying. I find his speaking to the masses to be below what I would expect from someone with his much discussed intelligence.

Perhaps its his history of being a community organizer and the rallying of the troops type behavior needed for that position. I find him to be insulting towards many people who aren't supporters of his. He was dismissive if not down right rude in discussing the Tea Party rallies, yet had no problem with union members rallying at (and occupying )the WI capitol.

His infamous clinging to their guns and religion also upset a lot of people...people who aren't his base and who he has no problem dismissing.

I also personally find his tendency to lecture AT us to be annoying. I don't need to be told what to do, thanks. I also find it strange when he starts speaking in a sing song preacher type pattern when he's talking to his supporters. I think it demeans the position he holds.

I suppose we all just can have different opinions on him, just like we can have different opinions on anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or