Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,225,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
got it. not much to report there either which way.
Absolutely correct...it was a typical soft ball question(ing).

Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I shouldn't get into this b/c Obama was born in Hawaii. However, the old law is not written the way many birthers think it is. (They just believe what they read on birther sites and don't do much thinking for themselves.) The law read that if a child is born abroad to a parent that is a US citizen and one who is not, the US citizen (doesn't specify WHICH parent) had to have lived in the US for 5 years past the age of 14. If the US citizen parent, say a father, was 50 years old when the child was born, he still had to have lived in the US for 5 years after the age of 14. Obama's mother hadn't lived for 5 years after the age of 14, anywhere. So it is not that she was too young. It would take a legal interpretation to know if that law would have applied to her.
i think if you dug down on the 5 year requirement you'd find it was in reference to naturalized citizens not natural born citizens, which Obama's mom was. You cannot expatriate an American citizen based on where they live or lived.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
i think if you dug down on the 5 year requirement you'd find it was in reference to naturalized citizens not natural born citizens, which Obama's mom was. You cannot expatriate an American citizen based on where they live or lived.
Citizen by Birth by Peng & Weber to Determine Citizenship Rules

See the chart for the appropriate dates. It is not an issue of expatriating the US citizen, it is an issue of giving citizenship to the child born abroad.

However, Obama was born in Hawaii, so none of this stuff applies.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 PM

i agree obama was born in hawaii, but I would NOT put much stock in waht a GREEN CARD lawfirm had to say on the subject. They deal with naturalized citizen, Obama's mom was a natural born citizen, there is the distinction.
Quote:

See the chart for the appropriate dates. It is not an issue of expatriating the US citizen, it is an issue of giving citizenship to the child born abroad.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
Quote:

Prove it

Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Prove it
Prove it? I thought we were playing by birther rules, LOL. My reading of Section 404 of the Amended 1940 immigration act.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
It's been awhile since I've engaged in this argument, but I believe Stanley Ann lived in Indonesia for a time, and there was some question as to whether she had relinquished her citizenship to do so, and whether she had filed the papers to reinstate it. Just another interesting tidbit that may never go anywhere, because her passport and pertinent travel records have disappeared.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
It's been awhile since I've engaged in this argument, but I believe Stanley Ann lived in Indonesia for a time, and there was some question as to whether she had relinquished her citizenship to do so, and whether she had filed the papers to reinstate it. Just another interesting tidbit that may never go anywhere, because her passport and pertinent travel records have disappeared.
Well, yes, it's been well documented that she lived in Indonesia when she was married to Lolo Soetoro. So?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 PM

of course, that would be after barry was born, correct? wouldn't affect his natural born status.
Quote:
see ockham's razor

Last edited by buzzards27; 04-12-2011 at 09:34 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
there was some question as to whether she had relinquished her citizenship to do so, and whether she had filed the papers to reinstate it. Just another interesting tidbit that may never go anywhere, because her passport and pertinent travel records have disappeared.
Maybe there is a question for the likes of WorldnetDaily, but renunciation of citizenship is no minor matter and wouldn't be in the least bit difficult to ascertain. As for "filing some papers" to reestablish citizenship, try again. The State Department takes great care in informing those who wish to renounce their U.S. citizenship because re-establishing it is extremely difficult, in point of fact as a non-citizen the process would be as difficult as a newly arrived immigrant from a foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.