U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,036,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Pretty telling that the minute you presented evidence of Obama's factual successes, the only retorts were empty barbs about propaganda and personal attacks against you (in violation of the TOS) without anyone able to actually refute any of his successes.

The truth hurts, and you gave them the truth. Quite a successful president.
Yep, one of the laws she listed is still unconstitutional till some superior court overrules the District Court judge. The stimulus bill has done little other than give money to his friends and the unions and it didn't get any Republican votes so I guess not many of them agreed with something they didn't even get to debate.

There is all kinds of argument about that whole list but since so many left leaners think it is so great why waste the time of listing them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Obama Job Approval:

51% approve
42% disapprove

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

The anti-Obama crowd is clearly in the minority.
Not at Rasmussen on the daily poll. He was still -14 today between those who strongly support him and those who strongly do not.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes...I have plenty of questions....

I didn't realize the President was responsible for proposing, writing, and voting on legislation. I think your "love for Obama" is misplaced. You're in love with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid...and even a smattering of Republicans (gasp!!)....is what you meant to say based on this post.

But what troubles me most is that you, or anyone, would celebrate the President "declaring" a law "unconstitutional." This tells me that you have absolutely zero integrity for the American rule of law, the Constitution, and the Separation of Powers. That people like yourself throw all of this out the window for political expediency is downright traitorous as far as i'm concerned.

I am not allowed to rep you right now but then we do agree that according to the Constitution only the courts, with the Supreme Court at the top, can determine constitutionality. However, some of the left really believe that since Obama is the President that he can take that job unto himself. It is so sad that they believe that and support him for so doing.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:14 AM

7,541 posts, read 5,147,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Contrary to this forum's opinion, Obama still has supporters. I saw an Obama bumper sticker. I have not researched whether he is "home" at the White House more or less than other Presidents.
He's been in @home/@office far longer than Bush did.

President Obama’s Vacation Days | FactCheck.org

Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,723,218 times
How quickly they forget! All these people who can't type criticism of President Obama fast enough...and how mightily offended they were whenever anyone dared raise a voice against George Bush.

As the old expression has it, what goes around, comes around. (People used to say, a word to the wise is sufficient. But that is apparently not the case any more!)

Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 AM

6,193 posts, read 4,367,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
How can I defend him? Let me count the ways.

Any more questions?
Yes Jill61.....

AT WHAT COST?

WHY IS LEGISLATION A MEASURE OF 'SUCCESS'?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 AM

11,145 posts, read 13,535,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Yep, one of the laws she listed is still unconstitutional till some superior court overrules the District Court judge. The stimulus bill has done little other than give money to his friends and the unions and it didn't get any Republican votes so I guess not many of them agreed with something they didn't even get to debate.

There is all kinds of argument about that whole list but since so many left leaners think it is so great why waste the time of listing them?
1. One judge has ruled one small portion of one law unconstitutional. Read the entire health care law. The piece about mandatory payments aside, you might realize it's actually a very strong piece of legislation with a lot of consumer protections from the health care industry.

2. The stimulus created approximately 3 million jobs. I actually know many people personally who have or had jobs because of it. Most were unemployed before receiving it. I've also passed countless ARRA signs on roads and such that are funding construction workers.

42% of the stimulus was tax cuts, so you benefited from it as well and it catered to your ideology's strongest belief.

Also- as I'm sure all of you are aware, the president must sign every law. So, no matter who originates a piece of legislation, he has to make the ultimate decision on whether or not it passes.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,259,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Both you AND Hillary Clinton were flatass WRONG about what a 'Present' vote in the Illinois Senate means. You might be able to be forgiven for not bothering to take the time to look it up. Hillary, on the other hand, had no freaking excuse except that she's a liar, which is why I didn't support her for President over Barack Obama.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/op...th&oref=slogin

"SENATOR HILLARY CLINTON should probably be forgiven [though not by me] for not remembering the course on the state Constitution that she would have had to take as an eighth grader in Illinois. But had she remembered it, she would have known that Senator Barack Obama was not ducking his responsibility in the Illinois Senate when he voted “present” on many issues.

<snip>

". . .[A] “present” vote [is] the same as a no [vote]. If a bill receives 29 votes, but the rest of the senators vote “present,” it fails. In the Illinois Senate, there can be strategic reasons for voting “present” rather than simply no. A member might approve the intent of legislation, but not its scope or the way it has been drafted. A “present” vote can send a signal to a bill’s sponsors that the legislator might support an amended version. Voting “present” can also be a way to exercise fiscal restraint, without opposing the subject of the bill."
You will no longer have any excuse to accuse the President of avoiding tough issues.
This is my favorite Obama voting story.

Obama said oops on 6 state Senate votes - latimes.com

Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 AM

11,145 posts, read 13,535,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Not at Rasmussen on the daily poll. He was still -14 today between those who strongly support him and those who strongly do not.
You hold to that because it serves your radical agenda, but the reality is that the gap between the strong supporters / strong opposers is not nearly as important as his overall approval rating.

Why, you ask? Because when it comes time to vote even moderate supporters will be more likely to choose him.

Any president who inherited the mess he has and has retained an approval rating consistently around 50% all the while being able to enact tough legislation to turn us back in the right direction in such a short period of time deserves accolades.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 AM

60,192 posts, read 30,630,253 times
When the only thing you have ever run in your life, is your mouth, things can go downhill quickly.

Can our nation survive another 2 years of lip service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or