U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:17 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,567,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It was rare to hear the National Anthem before WWII, which is when they started playing it at the beginning of sporting events.

I don't have any objection to it, except that it is nothing but an empty show of nominal patriotism.

As one of the plaintiffs who challenged a legal requirement that he stand put it, if people are so serious about patriotism, how many of them do you think would stay around for it if they played it at the end of the game?
very good commentary, reps for you. the bold piece is 1000000% on the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Hope you're never in need of those very people you're mocking. And the Nazi reference? Did I miss the memo? Moving from "you're a racist" to "you're a Nazi"?

the reference was one of state propaganda not of nazi germany. it just so happens that goebbels was the poster child for such propaganda. i probably should've clarified.

i make no such mockery. i used to be very anti the draft. the older i get though, the trickier i find the topic. nowadays i'm inclined to believe that if we elect politicians who send us off on a whim, to help with their failing erections, we should all go and fight rather than send brainwashed mercenaries who think they're doing god's work...... for a fee ofcourse, oh, and college education, medical and pension!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,236,687 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Because some of us don't believe in that. YOU can sing it, but don't give me eyes because I think that song is silly.
Sorry you think it's silly.

Sorry you think that something that should show unity as silly.

Personally, as a veteran of the U.S. Submarine Forces, I don't find it silly, nor do I believe that this nation is silly.

---
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
---

Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

Personally, as a veteran of the U.S. Submarine Forces, I don't find it silly, nor do I believe that this nation is silly.

---
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
---

yawn! everyone in their working lives writes a blank checks to the people whose lives their work improves. fishermen, roofers, garbage men, loggers, oil rig workers, farmers, doctors, nurses, salesmen etc! they all write blank checks! i really hate the deification of govt workers especially soldiers and cops. they're like everyone else. it's a job for pay, period! it just so happens that it's not as dangerous as logging, fishing, roofing, drilling for oil, milling, construction, sanitation or farming except in many cases the pay and benefits are better, and most of it has been unnecessary esp since ww2.

what annoys me most is that apart from the indoctrination at schools, sports games are the events they use to glamorize the military and the anthem is what elevates that emotion to fever pitch

Old 03-19-2011, 09:21 AM

15,412 posts, read 8,713,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It was rare to hear the National Anthem before WWII, which is when they started playing it at the beginning of sporting events.

I don't have any objection to it, except that it is nothing but an empty show of nominal patriotism.

As one of the plaintiffs who challenged a legal requirement that he stand put it, if people are so serious about patriotism, how many of them do you think would stay around for it if they played it at the end of the game?
I would stick around if it was played at the end. I love the National Anthem. It fills me with pride, that we live in a country of such freedom and liberty. I feel grateful that I was born in this country. I feel lucky that there are men and women willing to die to protect my freedoms. I am in awe of the people that risk everything to immigrate here, to follow dreams that are impossible in their own country.

I feel nothing but disgust with people that mock national pride, and a sense of country. And spare me the Nazi crap. Apples and oranges.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I feel lucky that there are men and women willing to die to protect my freedoms. I am in awe of the people that risk everything to immigrate here, to follow dreams that are impossible in their own country.

those same robots would die to infringe on your freedoms too! does a day go past when these hired guns aren't used to enforce blatantly unconstitutional laws, infringing on liberty?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 AM

15,412 posts, read 8,713,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
those same robots would die to infringe on your freedoms too! does a day go past when these hired guns aren't used to enforce blatantly unconstitutional laws, infringing on liberty?
You obviously have some sort of issues with law enforcement. Make sure you don't call one of those robots when you really need them. But are you a typical Lefty Loon? Vilify authority, until you need help, then they didn't do enough?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

---
---

when they sing the praises of these people, who risk their lives and without whom our lives would really suck, maybe i'd be happy to stand.

Dangerous Jobs - Galleries - The Daily Beast

Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
You obviously have some sort of issues with law enforcement. Make sure you don't call one of those robots when you really need them. But are you a typical Lefty Loon? Vilify authority, until you need help, then they didn't do enough?

lefty? me? i'm glad you think so. your kind of position is quite typical of those who don't understand the conservative position. you'll bleat all day about limited govt, but only when those, whose praises you've been singing for decades, come after the things you like. while they're infringing on other peoples liberty you just stand there cheering

Old 03-19-2011, 11:10 AM

19,216 posts, read 12,488,707 times
Everyone who's had sex while playing the National Anthem - Raise your hand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies