Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Just off the top of my head:

Cut the military by 10% to 20%.

Pull the military out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Stop all welfare to businesses...I mean subsidies.

I'd legalize most drugs and tax them. Saving Billions on enforcement and collecting Billions in new tax revenues.

Stop subsidizing gasoline.

Cut Congressional salaries by 10% to 20%.

Stop people from collecting Social Security benefits if they make over $250,000.00/year.

Raise taxes on the rich.
Would you also stop collecting SS benefits from people if they make over $250K a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
  • Cut off funding to nations across the planet, we cannot afford it right now.
  • Get rid of waste in the DOD, companies such as Haliburtion are sucking this nation dry.
  • Stop giving oil complaines Millions to seek for oil, it is their business to find it so that they can sell it.
  • Reform welfare, get those that are abusing it off the money tit.
  • Review the entire federal budget, line item at a time and find the waste and remove it, some agencies have several departments doing the same job, streamline the system.
  • Stop the war on drugs, we lost long ago, it would be cheaper to build more rehabs that what we spend on enforcement and prisions.
  • Get rid of the IRS and go to a Flat or Consumption Tax, we save Billions on the IRS and more revenue would actually end up being available.
  • Get OUT of Iraq NOW and get out of Afganistan as soon as possible.
There are a few for starters. Thoughts?
Casper
Good list. I agree.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,032 times
No tax breaks, cut the wars and defense spending. No more subsidies.

Last edited by gramirez2012; 03-18-2011 at 05:18 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
  • Cut off funding to nations across the planet, we cannot afford it right now.
  • We have treaties going back to the cold war we can't wiggle out of or I would agree with you 100%.
  • Get rid of waste in the DOD, companies such as Haliburtion are sucking this nation dry.
  • Fire them for all I care, but there are only three companies in the world that do what they do and they are the American one. By the by Clinton used them as much if not more so than Bush.
  • Stop giving oil complaines Millions to seek for oil, it is their business to find it so that they can sell it.
  • If they do that, I agree, stop and let them drill now in America where we already know gas, oil and coal are.
  • Reform welfare, get those that are abusing it off the money tit.
  • I agree, make it only available past 6 months for major disabilities.
  • Review the entire federal budget, line item at a time and find the waste and remove it, some agencies have several departments doing the same job, streamline the system.
  • Love this one, remove older stupid laws, remove redundant operations and review purchases. (EXCELLENT IMO)
  • Stop the war on drugs, we lost long ago, it would be cheaper to build more rehabs that what we spend on enforcement and prisions.
  • Very crazy libertarian like to me here. Like spending is the problem, we have drugs as a problem. I think we confiscate the personal wealth of both the users and dealers. We put all of them in a tent jail with no TV and so forth and we monitor them after to see where they work and if they work rather than become drugged out losers on our dole.
  • Get rid of the IRS and go to a Flat or Consumption Tax, we save Billions on the IRS and more revenue would actually end up being available.
  • Very libertarian of you, I would personally suggest a two tier flat tax on income for everybody or as you say a consumption tax (not on food though).
  • Get OUT of Iraq NOW and get out of Afganistan as soon as possible.
  • We need to finish the mission and not give an exit date, because all they will do is wait till we are gone then start up bigger.
There are a few for starters. Thoughts?
Casper
A nice big F'ing Balanced Budget Amendment so the politicians can't keep spending us into poverty getting reelected. What do you think of that?

We also need to make government employess far more rare because those are paid by us as well. I don't care if one party wants to make employees that vote for one party, the issue is they are doing so on our backs, right?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
No tax breaks, cut the wars and defense spending. No more subsidies.
Great idea, simplify. No tax deductions, maybe pay lower rates and EVERYONE pays taxes. Great idea.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
You make EVERYONE pay the same percentage, and make that percentage enough to cover the yearly expenses of the federal government, and watch the half of society that pays nothing stop asking for more..

Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Except for the fact that going to a flat tax or a consumption tax, wouldnt abolish the IRS, you are correct, at least Casper tried with a serious response.

I dont agree with numerous ones on his list, such as removing the DOD, simply because Haliburton isnt sucking the nation dry, but I can respect his position..
Agreed , I agree with ridding waste every where that is a no brainer....the haliburton quip is a throw away.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You make EVERYONE pay the same percentage, and make that percentage enough to cover the yearly expenses of the federal government, and watch the half of society that pays nothing stop asking for more..
Also require a balanced budget amendment so they can't borrow.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Just off the top of my head:

Cut the military by 10% to 20%.

Pull the military out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Stop all welfare to businesses...I mean subsidies.

I'd legalize most drugs and tax them. Saving Billions on enforcement and collecting Billions in new tax revenues.

Stop subsidizing gasoline.

Cut Congressional salaries by 10% to 20%.

Stop people from collecting Social Security benefits if they make over $250,000.00/year.

Raise taxes on the rich.
Sorry you just lost all credibility.......this thread is about SPENDING CUTS!!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Sorry you just lost all credibility.......this thread is about SPENDING CUTS!!
The correct way to phrase that would be: End tax cuts for the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies