U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 PM

44,543 posts, read 43,091,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
was it racism or just plain dumbazzes
What would you call someone referring to you as the "n" word, or facing people making racial comments about Blacks? What do you call someone making a threat "to hang you by the end of a noose"?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM

9,427 posts, read 5,521,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What would you call someone referring to you as the "n" word, or facing people making racial comments about Blacks? What do you call someone making a threat "to hang you by the end of a noose"?
Many things..They could be morons, they could be drunks, they could be other black people...

Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Many things..They could be morons, they could be drunks, they could be other black people...
Trying to downplay the experiences, huh. Well, I was there, so I know what happened. All of the persons who threatened to hang me, none of them were Black. Most of the time I was called the "n" word, or anyone in my family was called the "n", well, most of the time it wasn't Black people. Downplay it all you want, but it did happen. And most of the time, it was sober people. I don't care if they are morons or not. I don't abide such behavior.

I don't see this kind of allowance being made for Black people behaving poorly.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Given the right social situation or circumstance, there is the potential for racist anywhere in the US and the world. Here are basically the four times I've experienced racism in the US:

1. The Pilot gas station in Portal, NJ at 1am. Self served gas is not allowed in NJ, so I am forced to watch an attendant fill my car up with gas. I tell him ahead of time that I will be paying with plastic, so no need to overfill in order to make my total some even dollar amount. Despite this request (asked nicely), he proceeds to spill gas on the side of my car. And there is the wasted of paying extra for what I can't use. So I march into the station and demand to speak to a manager. His solution was to offer me some paper towels. As I huff back to my car to clean her up, an older white man in overalls follows me out. He tells me that he is a retired trucker and owns stock in Pilot. He also tells me that the gas on my car is good for the paint. I disagree with him and ask him if he'd like a gasoline bath for his truck. Then he asks me where I am from. Now I speak perfect unaccented English. And I've been asked this question countless times in my lifetime. So my eyes narrow slightly and I say that "I was born in Manhattan". Then he asks where my parents are from. I tell him. Finally, he tells me that I will never be as American as he is. That shocked me, I tell him I disagree and drive off. I wasn't mad at him, just shocked and annoyed. The agitation I felt kept me awake the final 300 miles home that early morning. I didn't let it get to me, and I am glad not to be an old white guy in overalls.

2. I'm not sure why, but one night getting gas at the Sunoco on Rt.9 in Newton, was chaos. They always had the best prices in the area. Anyway, the two lines forming to get gas was messy. As I got closer to the pumps, somehow a car full of black girls felt that I cut them off. I didn't think so. Anyway, they got out of their car at one point and threatened to "beat my **** ass" over the situation. They also did some sort of chicken neck thing and pointed in my face, which imo is something that ghetto black women do when they get mad. Anyway, it was time for them to move their car up again, so the situation sort of evaporated. I don't know where the gas station attendants were at this time, probably watching from a distance and hoping for a catfight.

3. A white SUV driver driving very poorly in a two lane twisty section of road. He was in the middle of two lanes for a while. As soon as he picked one lane, I honked and zipped by him in my little Civic. I love driving this short section of serpentine road in Cambridge. I hate when the driving experience is ruined for me by other drivers. I now only drive it late at night. Anyway, so then there's a red light ahead so it's the SUV and me stopped abreast. He looks over at me and yells something about me being a j*p. Whatever, I'm Chinese and a much better driver than him. I felt sorry for his girlfriend sitting next to him. Had I had a chance, I would have explained that he needs to stay in his lane and stop being a sloppy SUV driver.

4. At a red light in Watertown Square. This section is confusing and four lanes across. Two turning lanes, two straight lanes into a fork. While at the light, and it's a long one, my boyfriend (driving) and I watch a passenger tossing their cigarette butt out their window. This annoys us and I fantasize jumping out of our car, picking up the butt and tossing it back into their vehicle. Of course, I don't do this but now we hate this car up ahead. The light changes and the car up ahead goes to a right lane, then changes back left. This causes some awkwardness in the traffic flow. And at the next set of lights, it's the annoying (white) trash car to our right. The driver is mouthing something at us, we are amused and my boyfriend rolls down the (power) window on my side just in time to hear "and your g**k girlfriend". In this situation, my boyfriend is incensed, but I am amused since I am not one, and it's such an outdated term. I think that Doonesbury cartoons used that term and I associate it with Vietnamese people.

And in all of these situations, I considered them a rare occurrence, but a natural one. All were brought out by stress and anger. These strangers, not knowing my name, addressed their heated message to me with a description of my exterior. I suppose they could have just said "hey Chinese lady" but they were mad and went to use words that were more insulting. And why not use a one monosyllabic word slang for me instead of using more syllables?

Lastly, while we were growing up in very white (but accepting) Concord, MA, my little sister was bullied in her 2nd grade class by a black boy whose family was imported into the area by a charity group. He didn't pick on anyone else. The charity had raised funds for a down payment on a house and the black family was to make the mortgage payments. The older son was close to my age and very nice and quiet, but the youngest was very mean to my sister. I think that he thought that she was lower than him in the pecking order of minorities. After a few years, the black family defaulted on the mortgage and they moved away.

I think that it's important to not label all interracial conflicts as race based, after all there are plenty of conflicts between those of the same race and culture. Sometimes people don't get along for other reasons. And just because they happen to use a racial slur in anger, doesn't mean that they feel that way all of the time. Those racial slurs are out there in our collective society. While they can't be erased, we can stop giving those words such power and overreacting when we think them misused.

I am still waiting for the black community to stop using the N word themselves, instead of playing this game of only blacks can use it. At my job, the blacks use the term "negritto" instead. Talking about the managers "coming down on the negritto", or "what's a poor negritto" to do. They think themselves cool, I think that doing that is very self-segregating.
How am I suppose to know if they don't feel that way? I can't give someone the benefit of the doubt. Why else would someone use a racial slur against someone else besides poking at them based on race? Why turn to race as the denominator for abusing someone?

Now, these are some of my experiences with racism.

This happened when I was in high school. I loved riding my bicycle around the subdivision. I was more of a racer/mountain biker type. There were some kids in the subdivision who liked the BMX kind of thing. I didn't get along with them very well. Two kids basically said "you're just a Black kid trying to be White". The big kicker: This wasn't a Black kid who said this. This was a White kid. This wasn't the first, or last time I would be questioned about my "Black authenticity". I looked up the kid on facebook, just to see how he turned out. He is really into the "redneck" culture.

In my high school, I was in a class with student who gave me problems. He showed me a picture of a Black man getting lynched(we were having a class project), and basically asked "how do you like this" like it was a big joke. I was dismissive about it. I let him know I wasn't having it. Then he said "go pick my cotton you 'n' word".

My freshman year of high school, I had gym class with a very horrible kid. I never got this. Some of the students were nicer to him than to me, but he was known for being quite sadistic towards me. He would sometimes come up to me, punch me in the head for no apparent reason, then run off. And then one day uttered the "n" word at me. Thankfully, a gym teacher overheard this and turned him in to the principal's office.

A few years ago I would walk to the store from my subdivision(In 2009 to be exact). I would sometimes encounter people driving in their trucks screaming the "n" word as me as they would drive by. I'm back at my parents house again. There are times I still get harassed in a racial manner.

I worked in a restaurant where I was basically one of the few Blacks working there. It was mainly Hispanic. Some of the waiters would making racial jokes towards me. I didn't like it. After a while, I stopped working there. Long hours, combined with the jokes at work, I couldn't handle it. The only other Black guy who worked would try to downplay as "they're just joking" or "they're Hispanic, so they aren't racist". I didn't buy that for a moment.

This incident happened in college. I was in a room playing pool at my alma mater. I was poked at for "acting White". I don't speak ebonics, and I would dress quite preppy(think Alex Keaton from Family Ties or Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air). One kid made this joke:

-Do you know your father? Does he live with you?
-My answer to both questions: Yes.
-His punchline: Then you're White.

On one occasion, someone asked me to "do the Carlton dance". I didn't want to do it because I saw this as a way for people to laugh at me for "not being Black enough". The irony? All of the persons involved were White students.

One evening I was walking around. I think I was going to get something to eat that night. A few guys drove by in an SUV. The driver saw me, then did a Nazi salute in front of me. Now, what else am I suppose to think when someone does a Nazi salute?

This is the way I look at these incidents. Why else would someone single out race as the denominator to harass me, other than to be racial about it? Now, I would understand the psychology of someone wanting to feel powerful or looking for some way to exert their power. However, I don't care. I don't excuse or, nor should I tolerate such behavior. I don't see such allowances being given when there are Black people behaving poorly.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
How am I suppose to know if they don't feel that way? I can't give someone the benefit of the doubt. Why else would someone use a racial slur against someone else besides poking at them based on race? Why turn to race as the denominator for abusing someone?

Now, these are some of my experiences with racism.

This happened when I was in high school. I loved riding my bicycle around the subdivision. I was more of a racer/mountain biker type. There were some kids in the subdivision who liked the BMX kind of thing. I didn't get along with them very well. Two kids basically said "you're just a Black kid trying to be White". The big kicker: This wasn't a Black kid who said this. This was a White kid. This wasn't the first, or last time I would be questioned about my "Black authenticity". I looked up the kid on facebook, just to see how he turned out. He is really into the "redneck" culture.

In my high school, I was in a class with student who gave me problems. He showed me a picture of a Black man getting lynched(we were having a class project), and basically asked "how do you like this" like it was a big joke. I was dismissive about it. I let him know I wasn't having it. Then he said "go pick my cotton you 'n' word".

My freshman year of high school, I had gym class with a very horrible kid. I never got this. Some of the students were nicer to him than to me, but he was known for being quite sadistic towards me. He would sometimes come up to me, punch me in the head for no apparent reason, then run off. And then one day uttered the "n" word at me. Thankfully, a gym teacher overheard this and turned him in to the principal's office.

A few years ago I would walk to the store from my subdivision(In 2009 to be exact). I would sometimes encounter people driving in their trucks screaming the "n" word as me as they would drive by. I'm back at my parents house again. There are times I still get harassed in a racial manner.

I worked in a restaurant where I was basically one of the few Blacks working there. It was mainly Hispanic. Some of the waiters would making racial jokes towards me. I didn't like it. After a while, I stopped working there. Long hours, combined with the jokes at work, I couldn't handle it. The only other Black guy who worked would try to downplay as "they're just joking" or "they're Hispanic, so they aren't racist". I didn't buy that for a moment.

This incident happened in college. I was in a room playing pool at my alma mater. I was poked at for "acting White". I don't speak ebonics, and I would dress quite preppy(think Alex Keaton from Family Ties or Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air). One kid made this joke:

-Do you know your father? Does he live with you?
-My answer to both questions: Yes.
-His punchline: Then you're White.

On one occasion, someone asked me to "do the Carlton dance". I didn't want to do it because I saw this as a way for people to laugh at me for "not being Black enough". The irony? All of the persons involved were White students.

One evening I was walking around. I think I was going to get something to eat that night. A few guys drove by in an SUV. The driver saw me, then did a Nazi salute in front of me. Now, what else am I suppose to think when someone does a Nazi salute?

This is the way I look at these incidents. Why else would someone single out race as the denominator to harass me, other than to be racial about it? Now, I would understand the psychology of someone wanting to feel powerful or looking for some way to exert their power. However, I don't care. I don't excuse or, nor should I tolerate such behavior. I don't see such allowances being given when there are Black people behaving poorly.
Hey maybe he was trying to make the people in the car laugh?

When I out with my friends we use the PA system in my car to say really messed up things to people..Or use the train horn to scare people.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Hey maybe he was trying to make the people in the car laugh?

When I out with my friends we use the PA system in my car to say really messed up things to people..Or use the train horn to scare people.
And yet, if a Black person were to make a fisted salute, it would be perceived as "Black Panthers". I only saw the driver make the Nazi salute. I know a Nazi salute when I see one, and it was a Nazi salute. Downplaying it won't change that. And I notice you only put that incident in red. Didn't even look at the other stuff.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
And yet, if a Black person were to make a fisted salute, it would be perceived as "Black Panthers". I only saw the driver make the Nazi salute. I know a Nazi salute when I see one, and it was a Nazi salute. Downplaying it won't change that. And I notice you only put that incident in red. Didn't even look at the other stuff.
I did, I just making the point people do things to make ohter laugh and should not define them as a whole..

Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I did, I just making the point people do things to make ohter laugh and should not define them as a whole..
How is this suppose to make me laugh? If someone comes up to me and makes a Nazi salute at me, I am going to think that person supports Nazi ideology, and for that reason, I will regard that person as a threat. Considering the history, I consider it nothing more than understandable to consider such a person as threatening. If one of my friends decided to do that, that person would not remain my friend. I'm not going to take chances on that. The minute someone decides to espouse Nazi ideology is the minute I adopt a siege mentality towards that person. It's called self-preservation. I am not going to trust that individual. Too much to lose. If a stranger does such a thing, I will react the same way.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
Quote:
Why would you only concentrate on that part of his post? Out of the wall of text he wrote, why did you concentrate on that one particular incident?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
How is this suppose to make me laugh? If someone comes up to me and makes a Nazi salute at me, I am going to think that person supports Nazi ideology, and for that reason, I will regard that person as a threat. Considering the history, I consider it nothing more than understandable to consider such a person as threatening. If one of my friends decided to do that, that person would not remain my friend. I'm not going to take chances on that. The minute someone decides to espouse Nazi ideology is the minute I adopt a siege mentality towards that person. It's called self-preservation. I am not going to trust that individual. Too much to lose. If a stranger does such a thing, I will react the same way.
So its ok when you do, but when anyone else does it against anyone else would you call them "racist" or a "bigot?" just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.