U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 PM

44,621 posts, read 43,151,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Why should I answer all of it?

Some people do mean or offensive things just make other people laugh..Just because one person does one thing that is messed up does make them a messed up or mean person...
There is a difference between doing mean stuff, and harassing someone because of their race. What else am I suppose to think if someone is calling me racial slurs? I'm not going to think "oh, they're just mean". I'm going to think that person obviously hates me because of my race. Why else would someone say some things like that?

Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 PM

9,427 posts, read 5,526,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is a difference between doing mean stuff, and harassing someone because of their race. What else am I suppose to think if someone is calling me racial slurs? I'm not going to think "oh, they're just mean". I'm going to think that person obviously hates me because of my race. Why else would someone say some things like that?
Hey that might be the case....I never said it was not, that guy in the car was most likely trying to make his friends laugh or maybe he was being a jerk..

Old 08-08-2014, 10:45 PM

I am going to give my own take. I've been in situations where I was in a diverse crowd. I've been in situations where I was in a homogeneous crowds. The level of harmony or friction, well, it has varied. I can bring up a few times where I was basically in a homogeneous crowd, and there were still problems. When I was in college, I was placed with Black roommates. Basically, the only thing we had in common was being Black. I was basically short, skinny, nerdy, and my tastes and thought processes were different from my roommates. The only interest we had in common was old school R&B. Other than that, we had clashes. It was a clash between frat boys vs the nerd. I had similar issues with trying to fit in with some of the White kids who lived in my subdivision. I tried to hang out with some of them and got accosted. Not all of them did this. However, this was another situation where I was the odd man out. I was the kid who quite didn't look like I fit. When I think about some of my most troublesome moments, it was in situations where I was with a homogeneous group and I was the one who stood out.

Interestingly, there were also some decent times when I was with a homogeneous group of people. For instance, some of the people I would hang out with in college. I remember times being the one Black guy hanging out with a group of White women. Never had any problems with them. In fact, some very good times. I felt accepted. I also remember some Black people who accepted me, and didn't look at me as some kind of joke.

As for times when I was in a diverse group of people, I can't recall any kind of friction. Sometimes I would be around people who spoken different languages. Never had any problems. Sometimes I would try to learn words in their languages.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Hey that might be the case....I never said it was not, that guy in the car was most likely trying to make his friends laugh or maybe he was being a jerk..
There is a difference between simply being a jerk, and making a gesture that espouses a violent, hateful ideology.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:02 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,418,938 times
Quote:
I am going to give my own take. I've been in situations where I was in a diverse crowd. I've been in situations where I was in a homogeneous crowds. The level of harmony or friction, well, it has varied. I can bring up a few times where I was basically in a homogeneous crowd, and there were still problems. When I was in college, I was placed with Black roommates. Basically, the only thing we had in common was being Black. I was basically short, skinny, nerdy, and my tastes and thought processes were different from my roommates. The only interest we had in common was old school R&B. Other than that, we had clashes. It was a clash between frat boys vs the nerd. I had similar issues with trying to fit in with some of the White kids who lived in my subdivision. I tried to hang out with some of them and got accosted. Not all of them did this. However, this was another situation where I was the odd man out. I was the kid who quite didn't look like I fit. When I think about some of my most troublesome moments, it was in situations where I was with a homogeneous group and I was the one who stood out.

Interestingly, there were also some decent times when I was with a homogeneous group of people. For instance, some of the people I would hang out with in college. I remember times being the one Black guy hanging out with a group of White women. Never had any problems with them. In fact, some very good times. I felt accepted. I also remember some Black people who accepted me, and didn't look at me as some kind of joke.

As for times when I was in a diverse group of people, I can't recall any kind of friction. Sometimes I would be around people who spoken different languages. Never had any problems. Sometimes I would try to learn words in their languages.
There is always cliques within groups of cultures so it is no surprise. I've experienced some things similar to you (but not black and didn't go to uni).

As for your last part, I would agree but I've learned that its mostly in social settings like bars, and other activities most twenty-somethings would participate in.

I know some neighborhoods that are often diverse don't converge with one another when it comes to block parties and certain activities that make a community stronger. When you have a family, it is often important to have these kinds of interactions. This is what the OP is touching on. Many twenty-somethings are always going to be meeting new people outside work and school. When you have a family, your circle will narrow.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 PM

2,073 posts, read 2,259,899 times
I don't have diversity or multiculturalism, however I realize that total integration in this lifetime would unfortunately be a total disaster

Old 08-15-2014, 10:24 PM

7,372 posts, read 4,438,578 times
Quote:
Because that's what people do. And I suspect you know it. You see liberals call Rush Limbaugh fat all the time. Do those people really dislike Rush Limbaugh's weight and care nothing about his politics? Or are they simply using his weight as a convenient way to insult him because they don't like what he says? Certain parts of the body are used as common insults. If someone calls you one of those, do you assume that they are prejudiced against the human body? Of course you don't. So it sounds to me like you are just playing dumb here.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Big difference between being a plain old jerk and picking at someone specifically because of their race.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Because that's what people do. And I suspect you know it. You see liberals call Rush Limbaugh fat all the time. Do those people really dislike Rush Limbaugh's weight and care nothing about his politics? Or are they simply using his weight as a convenient way to insult him because they don't like what he says? Certain parts of the body are used as common insults. If someone calls you one of those, do you assume that they are prejudiced against the human body? Of course you don't. So it sounds to me like you are just playing dumb here.
I don't care if that is what people do. I don't put up with that kind of crap. And comparing what I went through to what happens to Rush Limbaugh is quite dishonest. Rush Limbaugh can lose weight. He can afford to eat less. I am going to be Black until the day I die. And I can't change that. And many people do have a prejudice against the overweight. So don't try to downplay what I've been through. That is highly stupid to compare being Black to being fat.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
There is always cliques within groups of cultures so it is no surprise. I've experienced some things similar to you (but not black and didn't go to uni).

As for your last part, I would agree but I've learned that its mostly in social settings like bars, and other activities most twenty-somethings would participate in.

I know some neighborhoods that are often diverse don't converge with one another when it comes to block parties and certain activities that make a community stronger. When you have a family, it is often important to have these kinds of interactions. This is what the OP is touching on. Many twenty-somethings are always going to be meeting new people outside work and school. When you have a family, your circle will narrow.
There might be cliques. My point was this. I could be in a homogeneous crowd and still have alot of problems. In fact, sometimes in homogeneous crowds, it is easier to pick out and pick on the person who is different for any reason.

People these days don't always even converge when they are in a place where everyone is the same. Our society has become less about human contact with one another. And when people have children, they want to be around other people who have children. Many people lose contact with those who are single as a result. Same has happened to me over the past few years. I don't have any children and more and more people I've known have gotten married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies