U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 PM

563 posts, read 655,632 times

Advertisements

I have to somewhat agree with the OP, from my experiences in a diverse region the country, diversity doesn't mean anything if people don't get along.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 PM

5,430 posts, read 4,201,961 times
I don't hate diversity, I just don't think it has any value.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 AM

155 posts, read 180,816 times
Brazil is the only racially diverse country in the world that is not Balkanized. A Brazilian can racially look like anything, yet the vast majority of Brazilians are united by 1 common language and share the same cultural values.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:28 AM

41,046 posts, read 32,742,081 times
As an American southerner and Texan, I have never expected the United States to remain in a static state. We are a society that was built on immigration and diversity, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The natural outcome of that is that our society will continue to "morph" and evolve.

As a white, non Hispanic woman living in Texas, I am already a minority, meaning that white, non Hispanics make up less than fifty percent of the population of this state. Texas is one of five "majority minority" states and more are on the horizon. Folks better get used to that concept! It's coming, whether you like it or not.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I say that tongue in cheek, because I don't consider our changing demographics to be a problem - I consider them to simply be a reality.

But then I've always been a fan of diversity and multiculturalism so maybe it's easier for me to go with the flow.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:55 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,929,185 times
I don't mind diversity but I think we've gone a little too far with regard to language.

How do you live together when you can't talk with each other ?

The language barrier is a big divider and I see it here in Texas. There are enough Hispanics here that Spanish only does exist and you can't do business with them if you don't speak Spanish.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:08 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,146,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Multiculturalism, as a top-down policy is a sham. Its real aim is to create resentment and feeling of entitlement, with the goal of taking from one group and giving it to a favored group/groups, while empowering and enriching said group's benefactors.

Scam, all the way.
It's only a problem because it's the USA. What isn't a problem in that crazy screwed up country?????

Here in Canada multiculturalism and diversity works extremely well.

What's the difference, why does it work well here but not there?

The answer to that is very clear. Canada is not FULL of nutbars, haters and goofballs.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,929,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's only a problem because it's the USA. What isn't a problem in that crazy screwed up country?????

Here in Canada multiculturalism and diversity works extremely well.

What's the difference, why does it work well here but not there?

The answer to that is very clear. Canada is not FULL of nutbars, haters and goofballs.
How does it work with the 2 languages ?
Is there any segregation/division because of it ?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:28 AM

17,026 posts, read 11,393,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Many of you who hate such things tend to be those who fear anything that resembles "change," those who long for "the good ol' days," or those who "want their country back." Well think about this. From my observations of the results of multiculturalism and diversity (at least in the ways it is today), all it has done is give fuel to your argument of how "certain events of the 60s" ruined everything. Between the rise of the ghetto, cholo, and other negative subcultures that have risen in recent decades, wouldn't all of these things prove your point.

The reason why I speak in third person perspective is because I neither can't stand diversity and multiculturalism, and when a young black male says "he hates diversity and multiculturalism," you know it's serious business. But it's not for the same reasons. What I ultimately want is to live in a country where the culture is stable and monogamous, however, I want that culture to supersede race, religion, and sexual orientation. In other words, a multiracial, multireligious, integrated, monocultural society where everyone shares the same language, ideals, and aspirations regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation. And diversity, IMO has done the most damage to that integrated society I long for and has limited where I can reside within this country and go with the peace of racial indifference among the masses, social stability without any structural barriers, and just being one of a million instead of "different."

I live in a neighborhood that is "multicultural" and "diverse," but there is one thing that you will NOT find among the masses: integration among the groups. For the metropolitan area I live in, the more diverse a place is, the more segregated it is. The more multicultural it is, the more likely you'll see minorities who reflect the negative stereotypes. And as a result, the more diverse/multicultural a place is, the more likely the whites will feel a sense of racial superiority (despite putting on the "liberal facade"). The ironic thing is when you arrive in the "red state" portion of the metropolitan area that isn't as diverse and multicultural, you start seeing racial integration and united stable communities where the predominant culture overrules all other social barriers of race, national origin, and religion.

However, back to the point of many people who argue against multiculturalism and diversity. Essentially, the thing all of you argue against is the exact thing that's giving your "reasons" fuel. Scary, violent, poor minorities are partially a product of the multicultural divide, emphasizing unscientific ethnic differences instead of going the Civic Nationalism route like *cough* Canada *cough.* Minorities who are educated, successful, and content are the result of minimal social/Government barriers for their to integrate and assimilate. Don't believe me, just do a cross analysis between Asians Americans vs Asians Australians, and Blacks Brits vs Black Americans.

My theory against multiculturalism and diversity is that an integrated and assimilated society would create more law-abiding, industrious, and non-threatening blacks and Latinos, making void your arguments. I get the assimilation part, and wholeheartedly agree that those who permanently immigrate to a new country should make it their mission to assimilate. If their "Old Country" was so great, why leave it for good? But if there were minorities who were willing to assimilate (blacks) but were blocked from every opportunity for them to do so, who go through all that trouble just to later on complain about other minorities (Latinos) refusing to assimilate; so don't use that excuse

But why against something that is helping your "cause" in the first place?

What a long post!

1."Diversity" is a favorable and beneficial aspect of population genetics which provides a greater breadth of genetic material for adaptation.

2. Liberals have high jacked this term and applied it to culture and society, which is scientifically incorrect.

3. The most successful cultures, given uniformity of language and beliefs, are the most successful.

Genetic diversity is favorable, while cultural diversity is destructive.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,488,235 times
I hate that my ancestors mixed their genomes. Why couldn't they stay pure...what ever the hell they were???

It's exteamly odd to blame genes as a source of others[self's] problems.

Might as well blame the big spaghetti monster in the sky.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:09 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,146,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How does it work with the 2 languages ?
Is there any segregation/division because of it ?
That is a question that takes an entire 1000 page book to answer. The short answer is, yes of course there is but the good news is that these divisions between French and English are very much smaller than they were in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies