U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 PM

31,467 posts, read 14,559,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
Well, my family babbled together in Polish & Slovak and Maltese & Italian and all spoke English fluently enough and all spoke these langues everywhere not just at home. Oddly, they understood what the others were saying for the most part and used English with those who only spoke English.
Then they never fully assimilated outside their homes and that's my point.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Rather than use stupid cues like 'multiculturalism' and 'diversity', how about we just have a culture as we once did, where say, an Italian can have an Italian culture yet still participate in society as an American? Sure, there were common Eurocentric roots but no one ever heard of Spain in Central America?

But maybe that isn't what's wanted by those who use cues like 'multiculturalism' and 'diversity'?
Nothing wrong with practicing one's native or ancestral culture at home or celebrating it in an ethnic business neighborhood.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 PM

6,948 posts, read 2,027,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Monoculture across races is impossible. That is well-clear.
So-called race does not determine culture. Just because two people are of Asian or African descent doesn't mean they share the same culture. People who belong to different so-called races can share the same or more similar culture.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 PM

265 posts, read 156,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then they never fully assimilated outside their homes and that's my point.
Yes they did. They just weren't mono-cultural.

And my grandparents would have over German families from the plant and there was no "How dare you speak German!" We weren't that paranoid about our identities and learned something about others; how to get along and recognize commonality.

Too many Americans have forgotten that there is an entire planet full of places and peoples and languages other than America and American English. When stared at strangely, those folks are going to stare strangely back.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 PM

2,073 posts, read 2,256,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntboo View Post
yes they did. They just weren't mono-cultural.

And my grandparents would have over german families from the plant and there was no "how dare you speak german!" we weren't that paranoid about our identities and learned something about others; how to get along and recognize commonality.

Too many americans have forgotten that there is an entire planet full of places and peoples and languages other than america and american english. When stared at strangely, those folks are going to stare strangely back.
this!!!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
All foreign languages sound like babbling to anyone who doesn't speak that language. I prefer not to hear babbling all day long in a foreign tongue everywhere I go by one group in particular. Assimilate in public or go live in the country of your choice whose language is your native one.
Agreed and HOW!

If I had to live in Mexico: I'd make damn sure to learn Spanish and learn it well plus try to speak it out of respect for the locals there.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:

And my grandparents would have over German families from the plant and there was no "How dare you speak German!" We weren't that paranoid about our identities and learned something about others; how to get along and recognize commonality.

Too many Americans have forgotten that there is an entire planet full of places and peoples and languages other than America and American English. When stared at strangely, those folks are going to stare strangely back.
In Germany let the Germans stare at me strangely if I jabber away in English to try to avoid contact with the locals. In the US they better NOT stare at me strangely because they wanna talk away in German and I give them a dirty look. I'm talking about people wanting to settle in the US, NOT tourists or business people to be fair.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 AM

What about ethnic enclaves?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:

You don't have to be mono-cultural to assimilate linguistically out in mainstream. Just because we advocate for assimilation in that manner does not mean we have forgotten about the rest of the planet's different cultures and languages but this is "this" country not other countries. Our language is English s if you know how to why not speak it? I don't care what language or cultural practices one chooses in their own homes.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:41 PM

If anything many will alternate between languages depending on the situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies