U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM
 
19,454 posts, read 13,200,127 times
Reputation: 4875

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know what the saying is. However, from my own experiences, students who frequented used poor grammar most likely had a household that allowed it or the parents probably spoke that way.
I got thru many of my junior high English tests just by what my parents had taught me was proper grammar.

 
Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 AM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,419,161 times
Reputation: 521
Old article but really good study about the effects of a diverse neighborhood:

The Paradox of Diverse Communities - CityLab
 
Old 08-30-2014, 06:15 AM
 
Location: East St. Paul 651 forever (or North St. Paul) .
2,869 posts, read 2,714,704 times
Reputation: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Old article but really good study about the effects of a diverse neighborhood:

The Paradox of Diverse Communities - CityLab
Quote:
... The more diverse or integrated a neighborhood is, the less socially cohesive it becomes, while the more homogenous or segregated it is, the more socially cohesive... the models demonstrated that it was impossible to simultaneously foster diversity and cohesion “ ....

Ahhh, liberals can't quite like these findings now, can they?


And yet we have social engineering by our immoral and corrupt government in their NWO models.


 
Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 29,731,184 times
Reputation: 14499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I don't hate diversity or multiculturalism at all, I'm just against forcing it on people when it doesn't naturally happen because all that does is create tension and division between groups of people.
When you force the issue you can bet you will be forcing people who have issues with it into participating and they will not be happy. People tend to see that which supports their paradigm. It's just human nature. Forcing the issue will actually make things worse because people will see that which reinforces their ideas and ignore that which does not.
 
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM
 
44,623 posts, read 43,162,678 times
Reputation: 14411
My experiences with diversity have not been problematic at all. In fact, I've noticed this. I have had less issues in diverse settings because didn't stick out as much. On the other hand, when I was in a setting where I was in a homogeneous setting, there were times when I had more issues. I had to worry about sticking out. It depends on the situation.

1) In my college years, I would sometimes hang out with a group of women, all of them White. I would be the only male, and the only Black person at times. I didn't have an issues because of the way they treated me.

2) Middle school(especially 6th grade). I tried to hang out with a group of boys. All of them White, all of them skateboarders. I was basically rejected and ridiculed by them. One of them even shot me with a paintball gun. Out of all of us, I was the bookish kid, I was the lone Black kid.

3) College again. I had some roommates who were Black, like me. That was basically all we had in common. I frequently clashed with them. They were kind of "hood", and I wasn't. We had problems.

I am not quick to put down ethnic diversity because of the way I grew up. Vast majority of the times I was bullied or harassed, it was a homogeneous group of people vs me.
 
Old 08-30-2014, 08:36 AM
 
Location: East St. Paul 651 forever (or North St. Paul) .
2,869 posts, read 2,714,704 times
Reputation: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My experiences with diversity have not been problematic at all. In fact, I've noticed this. I have had less issues in diverse settings because didn't stick out as much. On the other hand, when I was in a setting where I was in a homogeneous setting, there were times when I had more issues. I had to worry about sticking out. It depends on the situation.

1) In my college years, I would sometimes hang out with a group of women, all of them White. I would be the only male, and the only Black person at times. I didn't have an issues because of the way they treated me.

2) Middle school(especially 6th grade). I tried to hang out with a group of boys. All of them White, all of them skateboarders. I was basically rejected and ridiculed by them. One of them even shot me with a paintball gun. Out of all of us, I was the bookish kid, I was the lone Black kid.

3) College again. I had some roommates who were Black, like me. That was basically all we had in common. I frequently clashed with them. They were kind of "hood", and I wasn't. We had problems.

I am not quick to put down ethnic diversity because of the way I grew up. Vast majority of the times I was bullied or harassed, it was a homogeneous group of people vs me.
You're not making any valid points here.

You're just reinforcing the point(s) of the link just posted.

In fact you contradict yourself right off the bat saying "My experiences with diversity have not been problematic at all" yet say you were "bullied by white kids." You altered that "homogeneous and segregated, socially cohesive" situation (as the link labels it), and you found it unpleasant. In short you validated the findings of the link.
 
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,301,713 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Old article but really good study about the effects of a diverse neighborhood:

The Paradox of Diverse Communities - CityLab
It ain't skin color or even family background so much as it's similar values BETWEEN people. That's why some kinds of people can live next to each other with no problems even if they're of different "races" because of mutual like and respect.
 
Old 08-30-2014, 09:43 AM
 
44,623 posts, read 43,162,678 times
Reputation: 14411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
You're not making any valid points here.

You're just reinforcing the point(s) of the link just posted.

In fact you contradict yourself right off the bat saying "My experiences with diversity have not been problematic at all" yet say you were "bullied by white kids." You altered that "homogeneous and segregated, socially cohesive" situation (as the link labels it), and you found it unpleasant. In short you validated the findings of the link.
Actually, I did. My point was that you could be in a homogeneous situation, and still have alot of problems. I would often hang around some international students when I was in college. I cannot recall any problems I had with them.

Bullied by White kids, they were White kids and I was the Black kid getting bullied. Homogeneous crowd vs lone Black kid.

You are the one twisting my words. And I notice you ignored the situation I had with the Black roommates.
 
Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 AM
 
33,373 posts, read 14,572,908 times
Reputation: 7591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Many of you who hate such things tend to be those who fear anything that resembles "change," those who long for "the good ol' days," or those who "want their country back." Well think about this. From my observations of the results of multiculturalism and diversity (at least in the ways it is today), all it has done is give fuel to your argument of how "certain events of the 60s" ruined everything. Between the rise of the ghetto, cholo, and other negative subcultures that have risen in recent decades, wouldn't all of these things prove your point.

The reason why I speak in third person perspective is because I neither can't stand diversity and multiculturalism, and when a young black male says "he hates diversity and multiculturalism," you know it's serious business. But it's not for the same reasons. What I ultimately want is to live in a country where the culture is stable and monogamous, however, I want that culture to supersede race, religion, and sexual orientation. In other words, a multiracial, multireligious, integrated, monocultural society where everyone shares the same language, ideals, and aspirations regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation. And diversity, IMO has done the most damage to that integrated society I long for and has limited where I can reside within this country and go with the peace of racial indifference among the masses, social stability without any structural barriers, and just being one of a million instead of "different."

I live in a neighborhood that is "multicultural" and "diverse," but there is one thing that you will NOT find among the masses: integration among the groups. For the metropolitan area I live in, the more diverse a place is, the more segregated it is. The more multicultural it is, the more likely you'll see minorities who reflect the negative stereotypes. And as a result, the more diverse/multicultural a place is, the more likely the whites will feel a sense of racial superiority (despite putting on the "liberal facade"). The ironic thing is when you arrive in the "red state" portion of the metropolitan area that isn't as diverse and multicultural, you start seeing racial integration and united stable communities where the predominant culture overrules all other social barriers of race, national origin, and religion.

However, back to the point of many people who argue against multiculturalism and diversity. Essentially, the thing all of you argue against is the exact thing that's giving your "reasons" fuel. Scary, violent, poor minorities are partially a product of the multicultural divide, emphasizing unscientific ethnic differences instead of going the Civic Nationalism route like *cough* Canada *cough.* Minorities who are educated, successful, and content are the result of minimal social/Government barriers for their to integrate and assimilate. Don't believe me, just do a cross analysis between Asians Americans vs Asians Australians, and Blacks Brits vs Black Americans.

My theory against multiculturalism and diversity is that an integrated and assimilated society would create more law-abiding, industrious, and non-threatening blacks and Latinos, making void your arguments. I get the assimilation part, and wholeheartedly agree that those who permanently immigrate to a new country should make it their mission to assimilate. If their "Old Country" was so great, why leave it for good? But if there were minorities who were willing to assimilate (blacks) but were blocked from every opportunity for them to do so, who go through all that trouble just to later on complain about other minorities (Latinos) refusing to assimilate; so don't use that excuse.

But why against something that is helping your "cause" in the first place?
Why do so many who disagree with others opinion assume those others "hate" (pick your issue?
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:15 AM
 
7,372 posts, read 4,439,070 times
Reputation: 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why do so many who disagree with others opinion assume those others "hate" (pick your issue?
Because liberals are driven by emotion rather than reason. They see themselves as the champions of fairness, tolerance, and compassion. Therefore, if you disagree with them you must be prejudiced, cruel, and selfish.

As conservatives we think we are right and liberals are wrong. But as liberals they think they are good and we are evil. It's a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top