Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:45 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times

Advertisements

Many of you who hate such things tend to be those who fear anything that resembles "change," those who long for "the good ol' days," or those who "want their country back." Well think about this. From my observations of the results of multiculturalism and diversity (at least in the ways it is today), all it has done is give fuel to your argument of how "certain events of the 60s" ruined everything. Between the rise of the ghetto, cholo, and other negative subcultures that have risen in recent decades, wouldn't all of these things prove your point.

The reason why I speak in third person perspective is because I neither can't stand diversity and multiculturalism, and when a young black male says "he hates diversity and multiculturalism," you know it's serious business. But it's not for the same reasons. What I ultimately want is to live in a country where the culture is stable and monogamous, however, I want that culture to supersede race, religion, and sexual orientation. In other words, a multiracial, multireligious, integrated, monocultural society where everyone shares the same language, ideals, and aspirations regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation. And diversity, IMO has done the most damage to that integrated society I long for and has limited where I can reside within this country and go with the peace of racial indifference among the masses, social stability without any structural barriers, and just being one of a million instead of "different."

I live in a neighborhood that is "multicultural" and "diverse," but there is one thing that you will NOT find among the masses: integration among the groups. For the metropolitan area I live in, the more diverse a place is, the more segregated it is. The more multicultural it is, the more likely you'll see minorities who reflect the negative stereotypes. And as a result, the more diverse/multicultural a place is, the more likely the whites will feel a sense of racial superiority (despite putting on the "liberal facade"). The ironic thing is when you arrive in the "red state" portion of the metropolitan area that isn't as diverse and multicultural, you start seeing racial integration and united stable communities where the predominant culture overrules all other social barriers of race, national origin, and religion.

However, back to the point of many people who argue against multiculturalism and diversity. Essentially, the thing all of you argue against is the exact thing that's giving your "reasons" fuel. Scary, violent, poor minorities are partially a product of the multicultural divide, emphasizing unscientific ethnic differences instead of going the Civic Nationalism route like *cough* Canada *cough.* Minorities who are educated, successful, and content are the result of minimal social/Government barriers for their to integrate and assimilate. Don't believe me, just do a cross analysis between Asians Americans vs Asians Australians, and Blacks Brits vs Black Americans.

My theory against multiculturalism and diversity is that an integrated and assimilated society would create more law-abiding, industrious, and non-threatening blacks and Latinos, making void your arguments. I get the assimilation part, and wholeheartedly agree that those who permanently immigrate to a new country should make it their mission to assimilate. If their "Old Country" was so great, why leave it for good? But if there were minorities who were willing to assimilate (blacks) but were blocked from every opportunity for them to do so, who go through all that trouble just to later on complain about other minorities (Latinos) refusing to assimilate; so don't use that excuse.

But why against something that is helping your "cause" in the first place?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
I don't hate diversity or multiculturalism at all, I'm just against forcing it on people when it doesn't naturally happen because all that does is create tension and division between groups of people.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:37 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
That's what I say in my posts. I hate diversity and multiculturalism, if it's going to cause the balkanization of the U.S. As long as they assimilate, and reflect the Constitutional values of this nation, then I have no reason to worry. I only worry because so many of the new arrivals are all about, what can this country do for me, instead of what can I do to be a contributing American? That's why, I'm so against the Hispanization of America. I came here from Puerto Rico to escape living in "prison" because crime is so high there you have to have fences all around your property and iron burglar bars installed on ALL potential entries into your home. And we're getting those same poor Hispanics moving here, that cause us legit, working ones to fear for our safety and property. Anyone that is pro illegal immigration does NOT understand what it's like to live in Latin America, and does not understand why I feel the way I do, and attack me for it because they don't understand

Old 03-18-2011, 05:40 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Many of you who hate such things tend to be those who fear anything that resembles "change," those who long for "the good ol' days," or those who "want their country back." Well think about this. From my observations of the results of multiculturalism and diversity (at least in the ways it is today), all it has done is give fuel to your argument of how "certain events of the 60s" ruined everything. Between the rise of the ghetto, cholo, and other negative subcultures that have risen in recent decades, wouldn't all of these things prove your point.

The reason why I speak in third person perspective is because I neither can't stand diversity and multiculturalism, and when a young black male says "he hates diversity and multiculturalism," you know it's serious business. But it's not for the same reasons. What I ultimately want is to live in a country where the culture is stable and monogamous, however, I want that culture to supersede race, religion, and sexual orientation. In other words, a multiracial, multireligious, integrated, monocultural society where everyone shares the same language, ideals, and aspirations regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation. And diversity, IMO has done the most damage to that integrated society I long for and has limited where I can reside within this country and go with the peace of racial indifference among the masses, social stability without any structural barriers, and just being one of a million instead of "different."

I live in a neighborhood that is "multicultural" and "diverse," but there is one thing that you will NOT find among the masses: integration among the groups. For the metropolitan area I live in, the more diverse a place is, the more segregated it is. The more multicultural it is, the more likely you'll see minorities who reflect the negative stereotypes. And as a result, the more diverse/multicultural a place is, the more likely the whites will feel a sense of racial superiority (despite putting on the "liberal facade"). The ironic thing is when you arrive in the "red state" portion of the metropolitan area that isn't as diverse and multicultural, you start seeing racial integration and united stable communities where the predominant culture overrules all other social barriers of race, national origin, and religion.

However, back to the point of many people who argue against multiculturalism and diversity. Essentially, the thing all of you argue against is the exact thing that's giving your "reasons" fuel. Scary, violent, poor minorities are partially a product of the multicultural divide, emphasizing unscientific ethnic differences instead of going the Civic Nationalism route like *cough* Canada *cough.* Minorities who are educated, successful, and content are the result of minimal social/Government barriers for their to integrate and assimilate. Don't believe me, just do a cross analysis between Asians Americans vs Asians Australians, and Blacks Brits vs Black Americans.

My theory against multiculturalism and diversity is that an integrated and assimilated society would create more law-abiding, industrious, and non-threatening blacks and Latinos, making void your arguments. I get the assimilation part, and wholeheartedly agree that those who permanently immigrate to a new country should make it their mission to assimilate. If their "Old Country" was so great, why leave it for good? But if there were minorities who were willing to assimilate (blacks) but were blocked from every opportunity for them to do so, who go through all that trouble just to later on complain about other minorities (Latinos) refusing to assimilate; so don't use that excuse.

America will probably never be a place with a "mono-cultural" society. Look at our history and look at what is about to happen in this country. We are in the beginning of being in the midst of the most severe cultural, economic and political turmoil that we've seen since the 1960's. Over the next 10 t0 20 years this country will go through the process of re-defining itself.

Also Americans will NEVER share the same ideals. Our country has never been like that. It's one of the reason there are 50 states and several political parties.

If you are searching for a country that aspires to the ideals that you have I might suggest Canada or another country where there has historically been less antagonism between different racial and cultural groups and more acceptance between cultural groups.

I’m also very interested in knowing where you where living where:

Quote:
The ironic thing is when you arrive in the "red state" portion of the metropolitan area that isn't as diverse and multicultural, you start seeing racial integration and united stable communities where the predominant culture overrules all other social barriers of race, national origin, and religion.
My red state metropolitan experience was quite different than your's.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what I say in my posts. I hate diversity and multiculturalism, if it's going to cause the balkanization of the U.S. As long as they assimilate, and reflect the Constitutional values of this nation, then I have no reason to worry. I only worry because so many of the new arrivals are all about, what can this country do for me, instead of what can I do to be a contributing American? That's why, I'm so against the Hispanization of America. I came here from Puerto Rico to escape living in "prison" because crime is so high there you have to have fences all around your property and iron burglar bars installed on ALL potential entries into your home. And we're getting those same poor Hispanics moving here, that cause us legit, working ones to fear for our safety and property. Anyone that is pro illegal immigration does NOT understand what it's like to live in Latin America, and does not understand why I feel the way I do, and attack me for it because they don't understand
I completley understand your point. I have very good friends who live in Mexico, for those that say there is no violence or killings down there, who in the hell are they kidding, they kill their own people in a heartbeat, when they want something which is usually money, or they target the wrong person and someone innocent gets killed. Usually over drugs, there are many drug lords in mexico, who are vicious. People think we have it so bad in this Country, it is people like yourself and my friends, who will beg to differ.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:00 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:

Quote:
Many of you who hate such things tend to be those who fear anything that resembles "change," those who long for "the good ol' days," or those who "want their country back."
Look up the word Balkanization

Unless a person is a a racist then they aren't against multiple cultures mixing in with American society, that is what America is, and always will be. We take the best of every culture in the world, and make it uniquely American.

What we are opposed to is the liberals trying to break us all apart into separate ethnic, religious and cultural groups, and slapping hyphenated racial, gender, class and ethnic labels on us. We are all, each of us, Americans, and we object to theses people trying to divide us up, and pit one group against another.

What you are hitting on, is the way the current multicultural movement by liberal is harming America. When they split us up into divergent and unequal multicultural groups, some people take offense and lash out against the concept or perception that they are somehow forever cast out from the larger group, and isolated, stereotyped and forced into wearing a label to some minority group.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Look up the word Balkanization

Unless a person is a a racist then they aren't against multiple cultures mixing in with American society, that is what America is, and always will be. We take the best of every culture in the world, and make it uniquely American.

What we are opposed to is the liberals trying to break us all apart into separate ethnic, religious and cultural groups, and slapping hyphenated racial, gender, class and ethnic labels on us. We are all, each of us, Americans, and we object to theses people trying to divide us up, and pit one group against another.

What you are hitting on, is the way the current multicultural movement by liberal is harming America. When they split us up into divergent and unequal multicultural groups, some people take offense and lash out against the concept or perception that they are somehow forever cast out from the larger group, and isolated, stereotyped and forced into wearing a label to some minority group.
And then you wonder why, in Britain for example, you have the young Muslims being radicalized by imams that sya the West hates them. Britain refuses to assimilate it's Muslim population and it's evident in the way that so many young Muslims there are being radicalized. Look at France too. They exclude Muslims from integrating on the basis of multiculturalism because the ideology says to keep everything on your own, and be with your own people and for many people, they take it that they are deliberately being excluded from the larger group. This has led to those riots in France because the French don't want them to assimilate, so they lash out.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
JazzyTallGuy, I lived in Northern Virginia, which is the suburban part of the DC area. The reason I put this as an example is that it gets crapped on constantly from smug Washingtonians and Marylanders for being in a "red state" and being as backwards as the 1950s Deep South because it's more conservative (although, it's mainly fiscally conservative) even though it's culturally as Northern as NY/NJ/Philly/MA. These same Washingtonians and Marylanders, those who talk about how "diverse" their places are, they tend to be hypocrites in that they're the ones who self-segregate themselves and refuse to integrate with certain minorities, while the "backwards" Northern VA in reality has more of the racial and religious integration, and as a result, the better cohesion and comfort.

Overall, good responses I can concur with so far. It's just that I notice the rise of anti-foreign sentiment and passive aggressive anti-minority feelings (including on this site). The conclusion I'm arriving to is that the more anti-foreign/minority the majority group is, the more resentment the minorities become, the more radicalized/militant/unassimilating/ghetto that group becomes, and the more the majority "justifies" their hatred. Is the constant phobia an intentional strategy many of the majority uses to justify their hatred, xenophobia, and ethnic nationalism?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I don't hate diversity or multiculturalism at all, I'm just against forcing it on people when it doesn't naturally happen because all that does is create tension and division between groups of people.
Quote:
"Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word."
— Thomas Sowell
I would really like to see just one of those that push multiculturalism like some cult answer that question. Besides having a variety of different foods of course.

Quote:
How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property – either as a child, a wife, or a concubine – must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men. Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen: all know how to die but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome.
-Winston Churchill

Old 03-19-2011, 03:13 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,465 times
Multiculturalism, as a top-down policy is a sham. Its real aim is to create resentment and feeling of entitlement, with the goal of taking from one group and giving it to a favored group/groups, while empowering and enriching said group's benefactors.

Scam, all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies