Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Many poll respondents thought the word “illegal” meant arrest and imprisonment, which most folks are against. This poll is not an accurate or conclusive “acceptance” for homosexual marriage by any stretch of the imagination.
And you are basing many poll responders thought it meant that off of??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Well the good thing is that.. the old people from the really bigoted generation are finally dying off. In 5 more years, that number will rise dramatically as most of the old people who demanded by the idea of "WHITE CHRISTIAN HETEREOSEXUAL" nation die off

It makes me sick to listen to my grandpop (an old white, italian, POLICE officers from Philadelphia) talk. "N" this "N" that. Jews this... he just, needs to die lol

Same sex marriage will happen. We're just waiting for more of the level headed generation to get into politics, and the old monsters with their terrible views to .. go away
You do need to lay off the "old people must die attitude"......I'm 53.......and gay....... and I've been with my partner for over 28 years.

It was the sacrifices and hard work of MY generation that has made it even possible for your generation to have a chance at marriage......and for all of us to be debating here.

In my day we'd get shot for being so open. So watch.....you are embarassing the LGBT community.....you are showing the same intolerance that we gays are fighting against.......think before posting hatred that is little different than the hatred shown by those who wish to deny our equal rights.

Just saying!.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
Many poll respondents thought the word “illegal” meant arrest and imprisonment, which most folks are against.
That's pure speculation, and you have absolutely nothing to back that up. Further, this is the same question that has been asked by WaPo/ABC for 8 years. Even in the unlikely event that your point is right, there is still an approximate 20 point increase in the past 8 years in agreement with the idea that gay marriage should be legal, not illegal.

Quote:
Every time same sex marriage has been put to the voters, as it should be, the people have elected NOT to support same sex marriage. This has occurred in 31 states so far. The people have spoken loud and clear on this issue and you just don’t like what they have to say about it. I say put it to the vote and let the people decide.
You think that a 51%, or heck, 60% of the people, should have the right to strip civil rights from the other 49% of the population? How often do we hear people like you post as virulently as possible that we are a republic, not a democracy? Isn't part of the reason for our democratic republican system to ensure the protection of minority rights?

Old 03-19-2011, 11:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Every time same sex marriage has been put to the voters, as it should be, the people have elected NOT to support same sex marriage.
And the courts will have the final word, not the voters. The Founding Fathers didn't give all of the power to the people - and for good reason.

Also, most of those bans on same-sex marriage were passed more than five years ago. Opinions are obviously changing. If the same votes were held today, the results would be different.

Quote:
Many poll respondents thought the word “illegal” meant arrest and imprisonment, which most folks are against. This poll is not an accurate or conclusive “acceptance” for homosexual marriage by any stretch of the imagination.
They've been asking the same question using the same wording every year. The trendline is clear.

Quote:
Maine voted in 2009 and Iowa 2011 isn't looking so good for same sex marriage either. Let the people i.e. the voters decide.
Maine and Iowa don't represent the entire country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Let the voters decide!! It's the American way!!
The voters can pass whatever they want, but if it's found to be unconstitutional by a court, it's thrown out. That's the American way.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Maine voted in 2009 and Iowa 2011 isn't looking so good for same sex marriage either. Let the people i.e. the voters decide.
So you feel comfortable letting the majority dictate in all areas concerning peaceful consensual adults?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Let the voters decide!! It's the American way!!
It is?

Old 03-19-2011, 11:50 PM

513 posts, read 580,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And the courts will have the final word, not the voters. The Founding Fathers didn't give all of the power to the people - and for good reason.

Also, most of those bans on same-sex marriage were passed more than five years ago. Opinions are obviously changing. If the same votes were held today, the results would be different.

They've been asking the same question using the same wording every year. The trendline is clear.

Maine and Iowa don't represent the entire country.

The voters can pass whatever they want, but if it's found to be unconstitutional by a court, it's thrown out. That's the American way.
Right because that's what you radical leftists can force your agenda upon the rest of society. You scoff at the federal and state judiciaries when they uphold the Rule of Law, yet when you lose elections (as you're bound to on your platform), the first thing you do is run to the courts and shop it to a sympathetic judge. It's what you did with Prop 8 in California, nullifying the votes of the people. You just did in Wisconsin with the union law. It's what you people did back in 2000 when you couldn't win the election fair and square.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
You do need to lay off the "old people must die attitude"......I'm 53.......and gay....... and I've been with my partner for over 28 years.

It was the sacrifices and hard work of MY generation that has made it even possible for your generation to have a chance at marriage......and for all of us to be debating here.

In my day we'd get shot for being so open. So watch.....you are embarrassing the LGBT community.....you are showing the same intolerance that we gays are fighting against.......think before posting hatred that is little different than the hatred shown by those who wish to deny our equal rights.

Just saying!.

Old people must die? No, I never said that. Thanks though!
The generation did accomplish a lot, but they also (as a generalization, not EVERYONE of course) were a generation of bigots as those before them. The fact is, that the younger generations are much more tolerant than that generation (and before). As they die off, more of the sensible open minded people will be in charge; thus civil rights to GLBT folks will be without thought.

It's not hatred, it's just some "PC" nonsense. That's all.
Oh and I'm not am embarrassment to the GLBT community; turn on LOGO. That's a huge embarrassment to us. Not all of us are queeny, lispy, fairies. I take offense to those who swish around making us look bad. Bad that wasn't PC, so I guess I'm just speaking 'hate' too!

Last edited by h0tmess; 03-20-2011 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: typos, lol

Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Right because that's what you radical leftists can force your agenda upon the rest of society. You scoff at the federal and state judiciaries when they uphold the Rule of Law, yet when you lose elections (as you're bound to on your platform), the first thing you do is run to the courts and shop it to a sympathetic judge. It's what you did with Prop 8 in California, nullifying the votes of the people. You just did in Wisconsin with the union law. It's what you people did back in 2000 when you couldn't win the election fair and square.
Please have some respect for the Founding Fathers and our system of government. If a law is found to be unconstitutional, it dies. That's how it works. As many conservatives like to say, we are not a direct democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Oh and I'm not am embarrassment to the GLBT community; turn on LOGO. That's a huge embarrassment to us.
I totally agree. I tried watching it one night for about 20 minutes and couldn't believe how bad it was.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:59 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I totally agree. I tried watching it one night for about 20 minutes and couldn't believe how bad it was.
Going off topic: Thank you. They have some interesting documentaries.. like when people coming out to their families. But they always find the most effeminate men or the most masculine women who tell their families "Im gay" and the parents say "Yes, I know" UGHHH. LOGO does more damage then good. Simply by focusing SIMPLY on the stereotypes that people THINK we are a certain way -- to the simple minded people (just look at CD forums and x that by 100) who may stumble upon the network.. their "views" are justified because.. well.. that's what they see. Sissy men, sex, sex, sex, sex, and vodka commercials. And sentences with fabulous or fabulouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies