U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you care?
Yes , we won't miss you abit > too liberal and advanced 11 42.31%
No , your traitors and we can't survive without you 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:50 AM

33,324 posts, read 14,548,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I don't know how , its not like other sites....
You don't know how?

I thought you and the rest of the NE (please delete MD from your list), were SOOOOO much smarter than the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
I'd move back to Ohio so fast it would make your head spin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Lets face it we are the most advanced region of the US , have the lowest unemployment , highest modal transport / freight usage......, best Education , Best healthcare ....the list goes on.....
Sez you. But apparently the region doesn't have the best education, given the numerous and egregious errors in your post.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,090,581 times
If they could take most of California south of Sacramento with them would be all for it. However, there is a slight geographical problem of about 3000 miles, so this does not appear to be workable, at least not at this time.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM

334 posts, read 447,658 times
I was born and raised (and educated... LOL) in New York. I never considered MD/DC/VA to be a part of the northeast, and I never thought of MD/DC or NOVA as a part of the south. I guess they always stood out to me as in-between states.

I moved to the south about 10 years ago, and still don't think of MD/DC or NOVA as a part of the south. Strangely, I would probably call those states northern before I ever called them southern.

Growing up, "down south" began at North Carolina. *shrug* "Up north" began at Delaware (or PA or even NJ).

At this point, I'm confused. LOL

Old 03-19-2011, 12:02 PM

32,112 posts, read 39,184,670 times
MD, DC and VA make sense for the net tax dollars back. Installations and employees are a major reason.

Even the mid-western/mountain states make some sense due to federal facilities or federal lands (parks for one) there.

Soutern states have some fairly large military installations.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:05 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I invite those of you who continue to insist that MD, VA and DC have now somehow magically become "Northeastern" to spend some time in those jurisdictions. DC is still very southern in outlook once the day laborers in the federal government go home. The political structures in both MD and VA are very southern in hierarchy and outlook. The problem is that people's vision of MD is based on what they think they know about it, usually based only on Montgomery County. Even its structure is very southern.

If you don't know what I mean by that think "plantation style" management. Deferral to the next level up even if that level has no dog in the fight.
As someone who lives on the Mason-Dixon Line, I say that MD and DE are definitely southern. Especially the Eastern Shore, and the Allegheny region of MD

Old 03-19-2011, 12:09 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,674,770 times
I'm convinced the OP is actually a southerner.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:10 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,533,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
I was born and raised (and educated... LOL) in New York. I never considered MD/DC/VA to be a part of the northeast, and I never thought of MD/DC or NOVA as a part of the south. I guess they always stood out to me as in-between states.

I moved to the south about 10 years ago, and still don't think of MD/DC or NOVA as a part of the south. Strangely, I would probably call those states northern before I ever called them southern.

Growing up, "down south" began at North Carolina. *shrug* "Up north" began at Delaware (or PA or even NJ).

At this point, I'm confused. LOL
Most people consider DC part of the Northeast Corridor (or BoWash corridor as some call it). It's nothing like New England culturally, but the power structure (New York economic and U.N. capital to DC political capital), cultural (cosmopolitan / international / faster paced), structural (dense, walkable subway cities) and transportation linkages (Amtrak corridor) make for a far stronger sense of connection north of DC than south.

But, I guess that's all tangential to the OP's rather lopsided / biased argument.

Last edited by Bluefly; 03-19-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 PM

12,087 posts, read 9,606,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The really fun part was the OP's use of the word 'succeeded.' As a person born and raised here in the Northeast, I certainly wish for our continued success.

Ah yes, the joys of language. Especially when you get to observe someone who doesn't know how to use it!
Ya have to admit though, that the NE is chock a block full of interesting people!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:41 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,606,997 times
This is one of these threads that makes you wonder what kind of mind comes with with such outragous topics...
But you have lots of company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies