U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you care?
Yes , we won't miss you abit > too liberal and advanced 11 42.31%
No , your traitors and we can't survive without you 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM

13,514 posts, read 14,522,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
......Perhaps if Christie had a (D) after his name but was doing the same things he'd be less hated?
Probably but I think anyone, D or R, who refuses to kowtow to the pw unions will get attacked by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 PM

7,526 posts, read 6,995,206 times
Why are people fleeing en masse from the NE to the South if it's such a wonderful place to live?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,021,122 times
Would love to see those backward states leave. Wouldn't miss them a bit.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 PM

12,102 posts, read 9,675,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I don't like either of the options...
if they wanted to break from the union, they would be missed, but it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world...
most growth is happening south and west... they're shrinking in influence and numbers.. by 2050 it will be a much different landscape in terms of demographics in this country
Are you kidding? The US won't exist as a single nation by 2050. Countries come and go throughout history, and this one is going. Oh and I gotta laugh at the "Republic of Texas" comments. That state will be part of Mexico by 2050. Just look at their demographic trends. Good luck with that, Texas.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 PM

29,026 posts, read 15,643,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Why are people fleeing en masse from the NE to the South if it's such a wonderful place to live?

It's not. Trust me. I've spent a lot of time there. It's only a wonderful place in their dreams. Especially the dreams of the NE people who have not choice and have to live there.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I'm just curious......i do see this happening sometime my lifetime. The Northeast breaking off form the rest of the Country and forming a new republic.

Maryland / DC , Delaware , Eastern PA , New Jersey , New York , Massachusetts , Connecticut , Rhode Island , New Hampshire , Vermont , Maine , and even Quebec......

Lets face it we are the most advanced region of the US , have the lowest unemployment , highest modal transport / freight usage......, best Education , Best healthcare ....the list goes on.....
Do you know the last time one section of the US tried to secede from the nation? They didn't succeed in getting it done, did they. I will mention to you that secede is the term you wanted not succeeded.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 PM

12,102 posts, read 9,675,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you know the last time one section of the US tried to secede from the nation? They didn't succeed in getting it done, did they. I will mention to you that secede is the term you wanted not succeeded.
Do you remember a time when the US population has been this polarized, for what seems like years? There is zero unity in this country. Nations don't survive that kind of dis-unity. There appears to be zero consensus on any political topic. I think it is only going to get worse and the country will drift further and further apart. Sad, but I think a split is coming eventually.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,066,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are you kidding? The US won't exist as a single nation by 2050. Countries come and go throughout history, and this one is going. Oh and I gotta laugh at the "Republic of Texas" comments. That state will be part of Mexico by 2050. Just look at their demographic trends. Good luck with that, Texas.
But would Mexico exist as a single nation if the US didn't exist as a single nation?

Under such a scenario Mexico would probably also break up. Not to mention Canada's come close to breaking up in the past, too. It's possible the entire map of North America could look different in such a scenario.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 PM

29,026 posts, read 15,643,080 times
Quote:
. Sad, but I think a split is coming eventually.

I don't think it's sad at all. This country is way to big to be effectively managed.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,066,640 times
Quote:
Do you remember a time when the US population has been this polarized, for what seems like years?
Only twice in the last hundred years: in the 1930s, during the early Depression years, and in the 1960s during the civil rights era and Vietnam, which spilled into the early '70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies