Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:31 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times

Advertisements

Imagine...your school district allows you to sign your kid up for a specific kind of learning program for the next school year. Courses like math and grammar would be neutral but social studies, science (evolution) and literature would be segregated based on political philosophy.

You are given a choice of teachers for your child. Each teacher writes a summary of their political leanings and you can decide if their philosophy matches the political leanings of your family.

This would go a long way to end controversy of what your kids are being taught in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 06:16 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I'd rather we get rid of public schools, altogether. Issue vouchers and the private schools could offer whatever they want and the parents could choose. If they don't like what is being taught, send your kids to a different school. Private schools, to be competitive, would probably seek out niche students.

The problem in some schools is that the ideology of the teacher even creeps into the math and grammar classes.

Math

Britney has 20 pencils. Her teacher redistributes her pencils to her poorer classmates so they each have 2 pencils. How many happy students are in Britney's class?

Grammar

I shop for organic groceries.
You shop for organic groceries.
He shops for organic groceries.
We shop for organic groceries.
They shop for organic groceries.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Imagine...your school district allows you to sign your kid up for a specific kind of learning program for the next school year. Courses like math and grammar would be neutral but social studies, science (evolution) and literature would be segregated based on political philosophy.

You are given a choice of teachers for your child. Each teacher writes a summary of their political leanings and you can decide if their philosophy matches the political leanings of your family.

This would go a long way to end controversy of what your kids are being taught in school.
Imagine! Your kids can be as divided and hate-filled toward their fellow countrymen with a differing political viewpoint as all the heart-warmingly open minded adults on this forum. Why not! Let's get them insulting each other from the get go.

We could even have them wear blue or red uniforms, depending on which path their parents choose for them, lest anybody seem ambiguous about it. Makes them easy to spot when you want to beat the other side up after school.

Fabulous!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
The problem in some schools is that the ideology of the teacher even creeps into the math and grammar classes.

Math

Britney has 20 pencils. Her teacher redistributes her pencils to her poorer classmates so they each have 2 pencils. How many happy students are in Britney's class?

Grammar

You're not serious about this are you?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:15 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
As ideas go, that one is astonishingly bone-headed.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Let's see. Actual education instead of indoctrination and propaganda? If I had to choose between the two I would have to pick conservative over liberal indoctrination and propaganda.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Some districts already have quite a menu of choice in place:
Montessori School
Back-to-Basics ABC School
Spanish, Japanese, Russian, German Language Immersion Schools
Middle School of Science
Open Optional Schools
Multi-Sensory Instruction Schools
Family Partnership Charter School

Some of philosophical stances are inherent within the individual school format.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'd rather we get rid of public schools, altogether. Issue vouchers and the private schools could offer whatever they want and the parents could choose. If they don't like what is being taught, send your kids to a different school. Private schools, to be competitive, would probably seek out niche students.

Math

Grammar

OK that math one is hilarious, even though I'm a liberal I had to LOL at that one, but you're not on mark with the organic groceries thing. How is organic food a liberal or conservative thing? There are plenty of fat liberals who eat unhealthy. And working class liberals who cannot afford organic food. We're not all hippies yaknow...

Old 03-19-2011, 03:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Private schools will soon become like public colleges and the banks. Catering to the government for handouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Math

Grammar

Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
as ideas go, that one is astonishingly bone-headed.
why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies