U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM

959 posts, read 1,122,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I have to agree.

The black community starts the racist overtones against the White Americans at a very young age.

The most racist people I have encountered in life, have been black. That does not mean I have to be racist towards them in any way.

I have a White friend who went to high school in Compton in the 1980s, he was part of a very small handful of token Whites there. He told me he experienced a lot of racist bullying and beat downs from the Black kids there. He told me one Black kid even threatened to do a driveby shooting on his house once he found out where he lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,069,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the real problem is that we even call it racism

1. we are all of the HUMAN RACE

2. ANY DIFFERENCE, being NOTED is just that a noted difference not racism.....even when you note the differenec between gender, color, or even political stance

3. the problem is (or so it SEEMS) , is that liberals always want to CLASSIFY, or STATUSFY, everyone...liberals SEEM TO love the gender wars, race wars, classwars, etc
The wars are the glue that holds these groups together. A specialized custom enemy that satisfies every taste or desire. Gets each group working together, pulling the same direction. While us normals are living our lives the others are conspiring to tear them down or alter them beyond recognition. And that's a bad thing.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 PM

44,763 posts, read 43,324,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I have a White friend who went to high school in Compton in the 1980s, he was part of a very small handful of token Whites there. He told me he experienced a lot of racist bullying and beat downs from the Black kids there. He told me one Black kid even threatened to do a driveby shooting on his house once he found out where he lived.
The way I grew up, well, I feel that Whites can be just as racist as Blacks. History, and my own experiences teach me this. I am African-American and I went to a school that was predominantly White(20% African-American and 78% White). There were students who threatened to "hang me by the end of their noose".

Roles were switched. On this note, this is what I would argue. I don't know your friend's experience, but if most White people want to move to a safe neighborhood(and be welcomed at the same time), there are a plethora of options. For African-Americans, this is harder.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,767,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where does racism start?

A room full of 3 and 4 year old children and there is no racism.
A good example of how racism can be instilled on kids is to see the experiment called "Blue eyes, brown eyes". It was great how this teacher taught kids how they can get influenced in discriminating and how it affect people that are discriminated. She teacher first separated the class by blue and brown eye kids and started to make comments how the brown eye kids were not smart enough, how they could not follow insructions and things like that. The blue eye kids started to treat the other kids as inferiors. Later the teacher changed the roles by some subtle method and now the blue eye kids were the ones portrayed negatively.
Later she ended the experiment and asked the kids how they felt when they were treated in such way.
The experiment was recorded and you could see the kids faces as they were mistreated and the faces of the other group. You could see the faces of some kids that were in the discriminating group that they felt there was something wrong for mistreating the other group. You could see the frustration and the faces of others that had not problem being mean to the others. On the other group you could see the ones that showed rebellious attitudes and others that were submissive to the misstreatment.
She later told them to express how they all felt being treated as inferiors since all basically took turns. Years later they had a reunion to express how that experience affected their lives in adulthood for the good.

The lady later did the same experiment on adults and that was also very interesting, take care.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 AM
TPL

136 posts, read 267,805 times
Normally I'd say that racism is the result of pure ignorance, however, given the events of the past few years, I've begun to realize that to a certain extent racism also comes about from the way certain people treat others, and how they act in society and life. Somebody can start out completely non-racist, and yet when they continuously run into people who seem to reinforce a racial stereotype, it can make them start to despise that race overall. Note: I'm not talking about the lynching type of racism that was prevalent back in the day, there's simply no excuse for that at all, but in our modern era I've begun to see how true certain stereotypes are (It's only been since Obama started his run for office that I noticed it, and I couldn't believe how racially centered and ignorant many of his supporters are/were). Let me put it to you this way: The most racist people in the country aren't white.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,069,829 times
Default Sacred Cows are for eating.

I remember the time and place I consciously became a racist. It was at the corner of 79th and Biscayne in 1991. There was a blue police blanket covering something small. Something much to small. My first thought was a dog must have been hit by a car. But news crews don't show up for dead dogs. A Dominican girl, 7 year old Randi Wadley, was crossing the street to get an icecream. But unfortunatly for her 2 fools several blocks away brushed each other in passing. Words were exchanged resulting in a wild shoot out in which neather shooter was wounded. A stray bullet caught Randi on the chin and she died there at 79th the result of a uniquely A-American form of conflict resolution. It was 1991 and I was in Miami cleaning up after Andrew.
Growing up, race just wasn't a topic of conversation in our family. One way or the other. At 17 I had a strong hormonal attraction to Angelia Davis. I found angry black commies very sexy. At 24 I started a speciality construction company and set out to hire as many minorities as possible. It was between that time and 1991 that my preconcieved notions, notions strikingly similar to many of yours, were eroded. Bit by bit. So gradual in fact that It took a shocking event like this to get my attention and give the obvious its due at last.
If demanding accountability in a less than kind manner makes me a recist then so be it. Randi's killing has clarified things and put me in a bad mood.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,391,899 times
Of course all that violence is crazy, having all those weapons out there is crazy. But I find it odd that that event was so decisive in your development. They did not shoot her deliberately, it was basically an accident

Old 03-26-2011, 03:28 PM

44,763 posts, read 43,324,031 times
The reason I made a conscious decision NOT to be racist. I don't like it when other people are racist towards me, so I am not going to do it to others. I am going to take things individually. There have been many White people who have done horrible things to me. There have also been decent White people in my life. For this reason, I condemn the persons who did bad things and remember the good persons. If I succumb to being a racist, I am no better than the racists out there. There are too many racists in this society. Too many bigots and prejudice people. This society doesn't need that. We already have a surplus of it.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:41 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,391,899 times
Definitely the right approach, but too time-consuming for some as they would have to get to know individuals first

A couple of weeks ago it was raining cats and dogs as I left the supermarket. I was carrying two bags and thus had no hands free for an umbrella. All of a sudden there was a black man walking next to me in the same direction. He greeted and offered me to walk under his umbrella Very nice of him. Ultimately the wind destroyed his umbrella after a minute or so (which he found very funny), but the gesture was very nice

Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM

11,427 posts, read 16,714,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
In this case, I have a question. I was beaten down by alot of White kids. Why don't I hate White people? One could argue it would be natural for me to hate White people, but for some reason, I don't.
Everyones different, i got beat in a bathroom in High School by a group of blacks, I really didn't care for blacks after that at all but as years passed and I worked with some guys I realized everybody is different just because a persons black or white or green doesn't mean everybody acts the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies