Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
We're clearly not equal when it comes to tolerance, mental capacity and intelligence. But as a people, when rights are concerned, as citizens, equality is NOT described by hair or skin color. Please get that right.
Equality under the law is often conflated with being equal in all characteristics. Look at how Dayton, OH was forced by the DOJ to lower the standards for their police entrance exams just to accommodate Black applicants that couldn't pass the test. That in itself is racist, but that is codified into law. It's ridiculous that we try to fight racism with more racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Whether or not there are differences between the races or ethnic groups doesn't really matter anymore, as whatever the conclusion might be, it is inadequate for a society already and increasingly mixed.

Anyway, regarding the op, there are several studies suggesting that children do indeed notice the difference in looks. For instance there are tests showing people instinctively trust people more who look similar to them as opposed to those looking very different. That is already present in children, but they are not aware of it, nor do they act on it. I guess those instincts come from a time when humans were still animals, with clans fighting clans all the time etc. But today they don't make sense anymore in civilized societies such as the US or Europe.
Maybe it is similar to the instinctive fear of snakes or spiders that most people have, even in regions where there are neither of them.

That's where we simply have to dominate primitive instincts by superior conscious reasoning. Good shrinks can help people get rid of almost any type of phobia these days...

Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,277,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where does racism start?

A room full of 3 and 4 year old children and there is no racism.
Self segregation by parents maybe.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I understand that. I do not believe the government should ever discriminate. But I find it silly that people want the government to prevent others from discriminating in their own private lives.
I don't find it silly at all. Government is for all people, and must ensure that its society is one that does not discriminate. When someone's personal life impedes on another person, it is no longer ones own private life. Government is not regulating a person's private choice, it is regulating how a society goes about.

Quote:
Lets pretend that I am a plumber by trade. There is no difference between me not hiring a black person as an apprentice just because he is black, and me not getting hired to do a job at a black persons house because I am white. Both of these things happen, except one is illegal and one is not.
True. You can choose to stay under a rock, limit your choice based on color of the skin but not qualification of the person, if it floats your boat and the government wouldn't care. Unless, it is obvious that you're hurting the society with bigotry and hatred.

Quote:
People talk about how "businesses" shouldn't be able to discriminate. But what is a business? A business is a person, thats all it is.
A business is an artificial entity, not a person.

Quote:
A business doesn't exist in any real terms.
Hence, not a person.

Quote:
When you tell a business what is and isn't acceptable, you are telling people what is and isn't acceptable. You are effectively socially-engineering society in an indirect way.
Correct, and to counter a social engineering of unacceptable kind.

Quote:
Discrimination hurts, no one likes it, but until humanity is perfect, I see it as a necessary evil. Maybe I'm wrong?
You're wrong. I don't see why discrimination is necessary. Perhaps you can explain why you think you feel the need to discriminate people based on their skin color, race, ethnicity, gender...?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
First, because of Affirmative-action, it is difficult to even weigh the merit of an individual. To me, a minority with a college degree is meaningless. Secondly, I hate working with individuals of "protected" status. Because it is nearly impossible to fire them, especially if you are working a union job. Minorities tend to naturally break into separate groups, which can destroy worker cohesion. So I warrant no benefits from having a diverse workfoce, I see it as being very harmful.

Get out more? I think maybe you should get out more. Your neighborhood might really be what you say it is(but I doubt it). And even if it really is as inviting as you say it is, it is an abnormality. I don't think anyone in their right mind will believe that black neighborhoods are as welcoming to the stray white guy as white neighborhoods are welcoming to the stray black guy.

I discriminate based on a million factors. Racial discrimination is really nothing different than discriminating based on someones age, gender, or appearance. You look for tendencies.

I am not saying that I do not associate with people of other races, but more than I am much more cautious when I associate with them. People of other races "TEND" to sort of fit in a box. There are some that fall outside of the box, but 90% don't. When you deal with someone who is young, they also tend to fit into a sort of box. They are usually immature, unrelible, and unknowledgeable, stubborn and rebelious. Women also fall into basically a different type of box than do men. And while there are those exceptions that fall outside of the box, it is stupid to ignore the fact that there are human tendencies associated with all kinds of different characteristics.

What society and the media wants to do is pretend that all humans are exactly the same, and that you can never pre-judge someone for any reason(prejudice). But not only are humans not equal by their very nature, they are also discriminatory by their very nature. Every decision you make is basically discriminatory. Even sexual attraction itself is discriminatory(regardless of race).

I do try to judge someone as an individual, but since the vast majority of people are dishonest, it makes it very difficult(and since society itself is pushing dishonesty through special-priviledges). To me, it is a much better policy to just "play the odds". Odds are that a black person entering an all-white workplace just won't fit in. It is a much safer bet to just hire the white guy that is equally qualified and is much more likely to fit in. Odds are that the black guy walking down the street with his pants hanging down to his knees is much more likely to rob you than the white guy in a suit and tie on the other side of the street. Am I always right? No. But that doesn't make me unwise.

Stop for a minute. Blacks are already grossly overrepresented in almost every government job. Blacks are already given special-priviledges when it comes to higher-education. So don't pretend for a second that you have it so bad.

The truth is, there are something like 40 million blacks living in the United States. Thats more black people living in the United States than there are people living in Canada. The Black population in this country eclipses the populations of practically all European countries.

If whites were really as bad as you say they are, you could just as easily only deal amongst yourselves.

I am not trying to say that all blacks are bad, or genetically inferior. But I am saying that because of how natural selection works, that certain groups tend to accumulate more "athlete genes" and some accumulate more "intellectual genes".

Basically, if there was an isolated population of people with equal numbers of "brown-eyed" genes and "blue-eyed genes". Then as long as each person in that population had equal numbers of children, then the number of each gene would stay constant.

If you take blonde-hair for instance, every person with blonde-hair is a direct descendant of every other person with blonde-hair. People who are lactose-tolerant are a direct descendant of every other person who is lactose-tolerant. The only way for a single-person with a single-gene to become the single ancestor of all of humanity, is to basically let all others die.

If hypothetically I was born with a mutated gene on my Y chromosome that made me basically immune to prostate cancer. Then the only way for all other human males to have my gene, is for every single male on this planet to be my descendant.

Nature is a cruel cruel world, and people are not equal. The government is creating an illusion of equality to make people feel better. But it is not reality, and it annoys me when people who are realistic and scientific get branded as hateful and ignorant, because people don't like what they have to say.
I am not talking about government jobs. I am talking about alot of private sector jobs. I don't want to work for the government. I want to be in a place where I can rise to my fullest potential. I am not here to argue whether things are bad or good. In fact, I even mentioned African-Americans have more political and economic power now than back in the old days. I was arguing that because of representative numbers, any discrimination African-Americans are put through will definitely be HARDER, not impossible, but HARDER to fight.

There are 40 million African-Americans. There are also 200 million Whites in this nation.

Did I say Whites were bad? No I didn't. I said White people have the lion's share of the economic and political power as an ethnicity.

The rest of the genetic information, well, I don't pay attention to it because it doesn't take into account the individual. How does that athletic gene stuff help with me trying to pursue academic pursuits and getting a college degree?

And playing the odds on the job, well, here is what I have to say. If the majority of people are dishonest, then wouldn't you take the same attitude with White people? If the majority of people are dishonest, this means the majority of people in every ethnicity are dishonest as well, which means you can't trust anyone no matter what ethnicity they are. You speak of the Black guy with his pants sagging down. What about the Black man who is wearing a suit, who is upstanding and qualified? What is in it for him? I would like to know because it is Black people like me who don't want to be stereotyped and treated horribly. What does a person do for a job in that case?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM

303 posts, read 603,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Self segregation by parents maybe.
Either that or their parents tell them stuff that makes them become prejudice and the environment is also a factor.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Equality under the law is often conflated with being equal in all characteristics. Look at how Dayton, OH was forced by the DOJ to lower the standards for their police entrance exams just to accommodate Black applicants that couldn't pass the test. That in itself is racist, but that is codified into law. It's ridiculous that we try to fight racism with more racism.
Perhaps the standards were created to be unequal? For example, slaves weren't 100% "human" at one point, and the government had to "conflate" and side with them to make them 100% human.

The fact that we must fight racism, to ensure that someone doesn't get mistreated is NOT racism at all.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
It's not just parents' fault, children observe their environment all the time and gradually consider normal what they observe on a regular basis.

I assume a child growing up in the Deep South during the slavery era might have considered those conditions normal. Maybe they would have started to question things as a young adult, but probably not even that.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,363 times
The only way that racism will cease to exist in society is if ALL races adhered to the same language, culture, religion and values.

However, if different groups of people continue to have different cultures and values, racism will continue. This is only human nature.

What is the role of government? To make sure that racism doesn't prevent a group of people from achieving success. Though not perfect, I think the US has come a long way in the last few decades on this point.

If racism is gone and all races do indeed all act the same, there will still be discrimination but it will be based on other group identities such as social class or regionalism.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
The only way that racism will cease to exist in society is if ALL races adhered to the same language, culture, religion and values.

However, if different groups of people continue to have different cultures and values, racism will continue. This is only human nature.

What is the role of government? To make sure that racism doesn't prevent a group of people from achieving success. Though not perfect, I think the US has come a long way in the last few decades on this point.

If racism is gone and all races do indeed all act the same, there will still be discrimination but it will be based on other group identities such as social class or regionalism.
I disagree with this on historical reasons. African-Americans had a culture forced onto them while under slavery. African-Americans still were being trated horribly. This kind of racism was based on skin color. It didn't matter what values African-Americans had. If you were Black, you got the bottom end of everything historically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies