U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:50 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,007,552 times

Advertisements

Here's an idea that will save a lot of money. Lets stop meddling in other countries and live within our means, be more energy efficient, recycle more, shorten our commutes, make our houses better insulated etc.

Then, since we won't need to meddle in other countries and help keep U.S. friendly regimes in power, we won't need a giant overbloated department of defense to prevent retaliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 02:10 PM

6,193 posts, read 4,367,606 times
Incredulous.

'My guy's in charge now, I hate him now though, and he's spending like a drunken sailor. So it's all your fault'.

Incredulous.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:13 PM

28,985 posts, read 15,535,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Do you agree we need to spend a trillion dollars on nearly 2500 state of the art aircraft at this point in time?

No. Even though it is at an all time low as a percent of GDP, we should cut the Military budget by 40 - 50%. We should close ALL foreign bases.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,620,573 times
This falls under the umbrella of why we want limited government.

It's what we Tea Party people are talking about.

Waste, fraud, abuse.

It matters not where the waste is. There has never been a government program that stayed within budget.

Yet, there are those who scream to give more money to the government.

As if that would solve anything but give the politicians more money to spend, waste and steal.

You lefties assume that we are only for republican causes.

That's why you don't comprehend the movement.

Never forget this....

The Constitution is written as the foundation of our government. It is about what the government CANNOT do. What the government's limits are.

The foundation of the American system is for limited government.

It is NOT a fluid, living breathing document which can be turned and twisted and broken at every whim.

There is an amendment process designed to make changes.

Our politicians of all parties have broken the constitution.

We the People want our constitution followed.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:36 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,484,167 times
Quote:
The NEXT Trillion to be spent, where are the protests from the right?
I'm not protesting, but I am calling and emailing various Senators, Reps over spending and that includes cuts in defense. I've said it for some time now - 25% cut in defense budget - they'll just have to make due with $500 Billion, somehow, someway.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:11 PM

11,128 posts, read 12,376,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
First of all, you need to specify who you consider "the right." Are we talking politicians or are we talking citizens?

If you haven't heard citizens on the right demanding balanced budgets, then all I can say is that you're not as clued in as you purport yourself to be. I'm not familiar with a single person in my "circle" who has said that military budgets are off the table when it comes to spending cuts. And you could say that my "circle" is ferociously fiscally conservative. I surmise that most fiscal conservatives are right in line with my viewpoint.

If you're talking politicians on the right, then yes there remains much progress to be made to achieve fiscal sanity.

But putting this expensive program on the "right" is just more forum-worthy non-sense.
As far as the political leadership from the right, how many have proposed any substantial cuts, or even a hard fundamental examination of of our polices that give rise to the current model of being the worlds police and even a desire to maintain what is an empire through military means?

As far as people on the right are concerned, there are handfuls who deride bloated spending budgets, even the military budget which is one of the most bloated of all. However, the number of voices such as the Beck's, Limbaugh, Coulter, etc... etc... are almost non-existent and the few voices there are seem to stem mostly from the Paulian camp/wing of the Tea Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If it creates enough jobs maybe it's worth it. Wasn't that always part of the justification for other useless weapons projects? "It's indestructible, it contains parts made in every Congressional district!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Tn, I am not one for painting up a sign and heading for the streets in protest, I instead let my vote talk for me. I would like to think that these planes are needed in some way that you or I do not completely understand, but I am not foolish enough to think that there is no pork that cannot be cut in the defense budget.

I guess I am trying to say that IMHO we need to use a scalpel as much as possible and a saw when we have to.

I know we are broke but I would hate to give China, Russia, or any other potential enemy the idea that if we went to war, in a conventional (non nuclear) way, that they could win.

In the end it comes back to what we have talked about before, we know that the powers that be are not necessarily thinking of you and I when they decide how to spend our money.

I keep thinking that it is the vote that got us here and it seems that process hasn't worked very well. I am lost for an answer because of the golden rule which is the real problem and the real question is how do we deal with that?
Grit, well I think the post above yours is also a huge reason why the military-industrial-media-corporate-complex remains such a fixture. Spreading out the arms industry into so many Congressional districts means people defend these programs on the argument that they are simply jobs.

As to the idea of protesting via a vote, well I suppose I do that now by voting for the Ron Paul's, Dennis Kucinch's of the world, even when they don't stand a rats arse chance in hell of getting elected. As my last thread kind of attempted to get to, those folks who voted for Obama based upon his rhetoric of ending wars and changing how we manage our foreign policy must surely be scratching their heads. Who would have though Obama would not only carry on the Bush legacy, but would expand upon it to become one of the centuries greatest pro-war Presidents?

So the concept of protesting via the vote, while it makes perfect sense is flawed because of media coverage, or lack there of. I mean look how Ron Paul, the winner of the first CPAC poll is totally and completely ignored by the media while they focus on Mr. 2%, Donald Trump. It is more than evident that contemporary media serves more to guide public opinion and socially engineer the mass mind in favor of establishment forces, which are ironically enough, very non-partisan. The Establishment doesn't care if a Republican or a Democrat gets the job of President, as long as he is owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Here's an idea that will save a lot of money. Lets stop meddling in other countries and live within our means, be more energy efficient, recycle more, shorten our commutes, make our houses better insulated etc.

Then, since we won't need to meddle in other countries and help keep U.S. friendly regimes in power, we won't need a giant overbloated department of defense to prevent retaliation.
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Incredulous.

'My guy's in charge now, I hate him now though, and he's spending like a drunken sailor. So it's all your fault'.

Incredulous.
My guy? Show me one post I have ever made on this forum in the past several years that has ever indicated that I voted or supported Obama.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:14 PM

11,128 posts, read 12,376,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. Even though it is at an all time low as a percent of GDP, we should cut the Military budget by 40 - 50%. We should close ALL foreign bases.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You lefties assume that we are only for republican causes.

That's why you don't comprehend the movement.
We lefties? You got the wrong hillbilly here and as far as the Tea Party goes, I believe I donated 20 bucks to the very first mention of the word "Tea Party", back when a supporter of Ron Paul suggest a money bomb on the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, several years ago.

I understand quite well what the "movement" is about, I also understand how it started and how it was co-opted by establishment types who used the Tea Party people like Charlie Sheen uses a two dollar hooker.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 PM

22,243 posts, read 14,739,470 times
Quote:
<snip>

<snip>

My guy? Show me one post I have ever made on this forum in the past several years that has ever indicated that I voted or supported Obama.
I am afraid it may be guilt by association. Perhaps a natural connection when one generates reasoned posts.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 PM

10,714 posts, read 11,416,913 times
Quote:
This is an interesting thread, and pretty shocking there has been no real answer from the right and tea party who claimed "less spending!" but when these republicans blatantly lied and are spending like lunatics, their followers just start attacking you with hate. This is what the republicans want from their goons, don't think, always obey, and attack others that don't follow the agenda.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,608,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Good post and I agree the republicans and tea party are not for fiscal responsibility what so ever. Never have been, never will be. They spend, spend, spend like maniacs on their projects regardless of the consequences or state of the country.
You are completely wrong, again, so it's a really good thing your opinion doesn't count...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies