Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nobody knew the child was going to die regardless. They wanted to try and save it by inducing labor right? Please stick to the facts.
The facts are that that baby was going to die, one way or another and it did.....without the abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Why should the people of any state or any government come between what a doctor considers to be medically necessary for the health of his patient?
Of course. It happens all the time.

Many people have to travel to Canada or Mexico to get certain drugs, or to get certain surgical procedures done.

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Why should the people of any state or any government come between what a doctor considers to be medically necessary for the health of his patient?
So why can't every state have state of the art heart surgery clinics? Why should someone have to travel to another state to have that done if it isn't available in their state?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
To reinforce the total control of women by the males in that society. This is not a medical issue, it is a political and control issue. If a person cannot control what happens to their own body they are not a free person but a chattel.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
The facts are that that baby was going to die, one way or another and it did.....without the abortion.
Those are your facts only. Nobody knew it was going to die regardless.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
No imminent risk. A POSSIBLE risk. You don't abort babies on POSSIBLE risks. Their has to be something tangible there, not guess work.
Actually, you do abort fetuses on possible risks. It's up to the doctor to determine just how great the risk is, and to inform the woman. It's up to the woman to determine if it's a risk she's willing to take. For many, many women, infertility is something they would adamantly want to avoid. I don't think infertility to a man is the same as infertility is to a woman. For men, it's simply an ability to father children. But for women, who are tied to monthly cycles, infertility isn't just an ability to have children, it involves women's sense of purpose and entire identity. Don't get me wrong, I think infertility would be very devastating for many men, but I don't think that the ability to father children is as much a sense of identity for most men as the ability to bear children is a part of identity for most women.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
To reinforce the total control of women by the males in that society. This is not a medical issue, it is a political and control issue. If a person cannot control what happens to their own body they are not a free person but a chattel.
Thanks for validating my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I agree--there are some on this thread that aren't necessarily pushing abortion. I realize that. My point is that it is important to think critically about these issues. Some people are using it to push abortion.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Why should the state of Nebraska be forced to provide a "medical procedure" that the people of the state determine to be immoral?
Do the majority of the people think that in this situation the abortion would have been immoral? Because that's the crux of the matter, isn't it? The law has side effects. Those side effects were harmful to this woman. I don't think the people of Nebraska want to harm women.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
So why can't every state have state of the art heart surgery clinics? Why should someone have to travel to another state to have that done if it isn't available in their state?
There is a big difference between complicated heart surgery and a simple abortion.

The abortion could have easily been preformed in her state.....why should she have to travel when ill and spend money unnecessarily?

Would you like to be required to go to another state for something as simple as a vasectomy? Just because your neighbor didn't think you should have one?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Do the majority of the people think that in this situation the abortion would have been immoral? Because that's the crux of the matter, isn't it? The law has side effects. Those side effects were harmful to this woman. I don't think the people of Nebraska want to harm women.
The problem is...the law is written as such. There really isn't room for an exception like this--it just doesn't allow for it.

I can see the law being changed in the future, but at the present time it doesn't allow for it.

Quote:
There is a big difference between complicated heart surgery and a simple abortion.

The abortion could have easily been preformed in her state.....why should she have to travel when ill and spend money unnecessarily?

Would you like to be required to go to another state for something as simple as a vasectomy? Just because your neighbor didn't think you should have one?

When I got snipped a few years back no babies died as a result. And before you say that not everyone thinks it's a baby....a lot of us do. And that's what matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies