U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 PM

5,203 posts, read 4,213,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Hmmm, mercifully dying fetus or brutially murdered fetus in an abortion? Gee which is better?
Actually the choice was this: a quick end while the fetus was younger and less able to experience pain, or the fetus suffering for 8 days and then dying in agony after the painful birth process lasting an unknown amount of hours.

If this were my choice, I'd take the quick end.

And for those who didn't like the source, here's a new source with the same story: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...anned-abortion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 PM

13,496 posts, read 14,000,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
If bad doctors were not illegally selling fully formed fetuses by the body parts on the black market , courts would be more open to the doctors opinion .
"fully formed fetuses" are babies so many "bad doctors" and willing moms to be allowing their off spring to be harvested for baby body parts. lots of hospitals and other health care folks in on this huge conspiracy. not to mention a long line of sick babies waiting for transplantation and other doctors willing to put their careers on the line by using black market tiny kidney, lungs and heart. get a grip there west

Old 03-20-2011, 03:17 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,910,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Mom Denied Abortion Even As Uterus Crushed Her Fetus | The Stir

And this is exactly why it is wrong for a room of men to legislate what a woman does with her body. Because of Nebraska state law, this baby was born deformed and suffered for 15 minutes before dying mercifully.
Did the OP actually read the linked article? It's link takes one to Minnesota law, not Nebraska law. Link the actual Nebraska statues please or the foundation of your argument is suspect hyperbole at best.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:38 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,514,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did the OP actually read the linked article? It's link takes one to Minnesota law, not Nebraska law. Link the actual Nebraska statues please or the foundation of your argument is suspect hyperbole at best.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/us/14abortion.html

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,010,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's a state law, not a federal law.
With a federal law you are cornered with no alternatives.
But you have alternatives with a state law.
Yeah, she should travel 4 hours to get appropriate medical care, if a neighboring state allows it. Makes a lot of sense.

The amniotic sac was ruptured. Both the mother and fetus are now at increased risk for severe infection.

State law put this mothers life in danger.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,234,286 times
Quote:

And this is exactly why it is wrong for a room of men to legislate what a woman does with her body. Because of Nebraska state law, this baby was born deformed and suffered for 15 minutes before dying mercifully.
My question is this...

The people who voted this into law were ONLY men? Is that what you are saying?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 PM

69,419 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:

i am not sure I totally believe this but regardless, I know, as I watched my granddaughter go through a tempenation of her pregnancy recently, if someone wants to end a pregancey it is easy, just go to the nieghboring state.

Nita

Old 03-20-2011, 07:18 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,514,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i am not sure I totally believe this but regardless, I know, as I watched my granddaughter go through a tempenation of her pregnancy recently, if someone wants to end a pregancey it is easy, just go to the nieghboring state.

Nita
Firstly, you really shouldn't have to go to another state to get what is standard care for a medical condition.

Secondly, she wanted the baby; the only reason to induce was that the baby would not survive and she could end up dead or infertile due to infection. Both of these are incompatible with having more children, which the Deavers want.

Thirdly, have you looked at a map? Grand Isle, Nebraska is HOURS from any place where she could have the procedure done. South Dakota (the coathanger state) to the north, Kansas to the south (Dr. Tiller's clinic is closed due to terrorism), and the other states are significant travel to get to a large enough metropolitan area to find someone to induce. Not so easy.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:18 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,010,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I've never heard of a uterus "crushing" an infant and an internet search gave me no information on this "condition". She had already had a normal pregnancy and a healthy child so I am mystified about exactly what was causing her presumably healthy uterus to "crush" this second baby. Something doesn't sound right here. Also note this is a blog posting by someone other than the woman who lost this baby. Other than her water breaking early, there really isn't enough information in the article to tell us everything we need to know before coming to any conclusions.
So glad your medical expertise and google searching has entitled you with your skepticism.

It took me 30 seconds to find a longer article.

Her baby wasn't expected to live, but Nebraska law banned abortion | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

I found a condition related to loss of amniotic fluid uterine contractions and deformity. Took me 30 seconds again.

Potter sequence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,157,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
My question is this...

The people who voted this into law were ONLY men? Is that what you are saying?
Here's the final version of the bill for voting:

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/Floor...nal/LB1103.pdf

Here's the list of state Senators (Nebraska has a unicameral legislature)

Nebraska Legislature - Senator Listing

23 senators introduced this bill. Of them, 18 were men.

The final bill passed 44-5. Of the five who voted against, four were women.

I would conclude that this bill was mostly men deciding what medical procedures would be unavailable to women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies