U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM

561 posts, read 421,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Libertarians think everyone should run according to what the consumer wants and demands. What a crock! Look at how irresponsible and stupid the average "consumer" is. Most of the time they don't know what's good for them.
If we only had "smart people" like you telling us what we want and need and what's good for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM

561 posts, read 421,511 times
Quote:
Buffet has lived on government and Wall Street insiders his entire adult life.
It's just a guess, but I suspect Warren Buffet has created more jobs, more wealth and more opportunities for more Americans than say . . . you. If Buffet is some sort of deadbeat, what does that say about people who have done less?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,901,901 times
You left out Fascists or Corporatism which is what we have now in Congress. There is nothing that divides what used to be Republicans and Democrats. Today all they do is collude with the CEOs of BIG corporations and let outrageously terrible laws get passed that do nothing but force Americans "by law" to do business with them. Look at Obamacare which will be a boon to the big health insurers and drug companies! Look at the Patriot Act which stripped us of our rights and launched a whole new industry of spying on Americans in every way shape or form you can think of. The so called Food "Safety" Modernization Act passed which was nothing but a power grab to control the food supply and force farmers to have to buy tainted seeds and chemicals from Monsanto which can only further compromise the quality of our food.

Right now unbeknownst toe 99% of the middle class, they are or will be paying for all of this and will be told lies like it is for their own good or for the "environment" when REALLY it is to line the pockets of the government and corporate elites. Obviously this is NOT GOOD for the middle class. It will continue to lower the standard of living for the middle class as it will cost more and more thru inflation just to pay for food and energy....while the elites get rich.

Regarding which party is best for the middle class, that would undoubtedly be the Libertarians who believe in letting you keep what you earn and only pay for services you use. We all would have a much higher standard of living if we'd elected Libertarian candidates for president instead of Republicans and Democrats who now are practically identical in their philosphies and as we've seen are becoming less and less competent. What would be best for the middle class and the country would be to get rid of 70% of the government. People need to realize that the more government tries to intervene, the more problems this country has. We need to get the government OUT OF OUR HAIR!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,075,422 times
How about NO political parties. How about NO rulers whatsoever. I can only dream...

Old 03-20-2011, 12:11 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,443,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't disagree with you... those whose income of 1 million or more are heavily abusing the system and are intertwined with our politicians... I be happy the day that celebrities, athletes, CEOs, etc stop making ridiculous salaries... but I know they wield too much power and I don't think anything is going to change... except perhaps a new income tax bracket... hmm.... a democrat recently proposed a 40%+ income tax bracket on those making a million or more, apparently neither democrats or republicans would support the bill... the more things change, the more they stay the same....
I wouldn't call a million abuse. Multi billion hoarding, parlaying grace and favor of whole nations for the sole purpose of self promotion & unfettered expansion of megalith power in the hands of select few fictitious entities is a huge problem in western civilization menacing the globe. I don't want these individuals robbed. I'd rather they eat every piaster they've got until they explode. I'd rather the planet majority stand up and declare their money is no good here and try swiping an ATM card on 'that thar tree'. That would be economic justice.

Our founders used these philosophers as a benchmark... The Philosophies Of Locke And Rousseau

I strongly agree with libertarians on the following subject. Our monetary system needs to be rooted in reality somehow. Not back tracking to the gold standard, but perhaps another material more rare an element representing a more stable high end value ounce for ounce. It's pretty difficult to steal or manage a black market for plutonium without killing yourself trying. I think it more rational to go about this scientifically. What if the local & global economy were measured by it's energy producing capacity? No, I don't just mean oil standard. I mean all energy producing capacity from every source. Including the sources yet to be discovered which would spur nations on to develop their own economic clout as distinct sovereigns. Not as controlled or monopolized in crony markets.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,136,036 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with abusing the upper classes. They've been abusing the middle class for the last 100 years. I'm not talking people that make $250K a year being upper class. I'm talking about the individuals worth multi multi millions or billions. As far as I'm concerned no human being on the face of the earth deserves, has worked for or earned the right to have that much money or that much wealth. Sorry.........until we get population under control the global planet needs some serious redistribution of wealth. And it can start with the billionaires of the world. Take, at gunpoint if necessary half of all their wealth!
LOl ok Comrade Croozer. I imagine you're making your way to Cuba sometime soon with the Venceremos Brigade?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah I do agree with you about libertarians insisting that as well. Especially economically libertarians think everyone should run according to what the consumer wants and demands. What a crock! Look at how irresponsible and stupid the average "consumer" is. Most of the time they don't know what's good for them.
When the market is tilting in favor of deception upon deception, there is no way for the average consumer to achieve informed consent. The information is owned even as it surrounds leadership of our highest offices. The 'expert testimony' are all lobbyists. Look at how every small business and corporation in America wound up suffering penalty for what the finance industry did with our monetary system. It's destructive to all ultimately.

The down side to unfettered capitalism coupled with an extraordinary mastery of mass manipulation (mass media + applied sciences of the mind= WMD) is that we become a nation in service to vice. Brave new world is creepy enough to be real. I may not agree with Marx's solutions via communism, but his critique of capitalism was not invalid. He was correct and if checks and balances are applied it's countermanded.

Instead the checks and balances are overridden and Joseph Coors thrived on it. So does Murdoch and Koch Bros. . Irony of ironies, 'religious right' is so strung out in the stratosphere with apostasy I don't think they'll ever allow themselves to believe they could possibly be this wrong. Below is a long article but well worth reading.
Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power
htttp://www.faireconomy.org/files/pdf/ million_billions.pdf
Quote:
It is noteworthy that some of the richest people in the country oppose this ultra-conservative initiative, suggesting that this effort is driven by anti-government ideology. In other words, few of the ultra-conservative and libertarian activists behind the effort will benefit from it in any material way. However, a study (Kenny et al., 2006) of the financial support for eliminating inheritance taxes discovered that 18 super-rich families (mostly Republican financial donors, but a few who support Democrats) provide the anti-government activists with most of the money for this effort.
My personal fave...
"Immortality and the Law: The Rising Power of the American Dead" (Yale University Press, 2010)

The beginning of last century we had trust busting, and it looks like it's time once again to beat it down. This time permanently.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
i.e. corporations
Your presumptions are myopic. The role of governance is to provide a basis for fair trade, and beyond that in modest means, shape policy to encourage the water flowing to all 4 corners. That's not possible when special interest is writing legislation for itself or privatizing the monetary system. This global meltdown should be evidence enough.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
A family making $25,000 a year might feel the same about someone making $250,000 a year.
To the top .1% paying less in taxes than the 19% below them and enjoying a cloak of immunity (liability, taxation, socialize the losses, all of it) you're far too oblivious to concentrations of wealth and power. This isn't a million dollars. It's multi billions.
Quote:
wealth distribution became even more concentrated between 1983 to 2004: Of all the new financial wealth created by the American economy in that 21-year-period, fully 42% of it went to the top 1%. A whopping 94% went to the top 20%, which of course means that the bottom 80% received only 6% of all the new financial wealth generated in the United States during the '80s, '90s, and early 2000s (Wolff, 2007).

Old 03-20-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Bill Gates invented it
Lie. The work of thousands of people culminated the PC. Some of that work originated in US gov't. Some of that work originated in a tinkers garage. Some of it in an IBM R&D team. He didn't invent the PC. He assembled the work of others, and poorly at that.

AmericanHeritage.com / The Man Who Invented the PC (http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/it/1994/2/1994_2_64.shtml - broken link)

Quote:
As Frassanito observes, “Pioneers get arrows.”
Did he compensate them fairly? Not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies