Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My definition of recipient class.

Never had a job.

Lived on the dole your entire life.
Like certain of our politicians then.

Constitutionally it wouldn't fly, sorry.

But then I'm wondering...how many people such as you describe actually do vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 04:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
There goes the republican vote,...

Otherwise I think more realistically there should be a test on basic constitutional laws and political history to obtain a voter's card.
Or we don't have to do any of it, and just get rid of all handouts, including state grants and farm subsidies, and Medicare

Old 03-19-2011, 04:30 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
There goes the republican vote,...

Otherwise I think more realistically there should be a test on basic constitutional laws and political history to obtain a voter's card.
How about a simple "who is the vice president" question.

obama would have lost about 1/2 of his voters.

Republicans would win 50 states if there were a civics test prior to voting.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:32 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,092 times
Quote:
I completely understand that it is a constitutional right for every American citizen to vote, with notable exceptions.

That being said, is it time for a constitutional amendment taking that right away from people who have no skin in the game?
You missed your chance in the 14th Century! Before democracy and voting rights.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:33 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,207,727 times
Quote:
I completely understand that it is a constitutional right for every American citizen to vote, with notable exceptions.

That being said, is it time for a constitutional amendment taking that right away from people who have no skin in the game?
If we followed the constitution and not majority dictate, we would not have people without skin in the game.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:33 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,458 times
Quote:
How about a simple "who is the vice president" question.

obama would have lost about 1/2 of his voters.

Republicans would win 50 states if there were a civics test prior to voting.
no they wouldnt.

and your question is ridiculous. its saturday, watch basketball or something, or come up with something original that hasnt been posted 100 times.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Like certain of our politicians then.

Constitutionally it wouldn't fly, sorry.

But then I'm wondering...how many people such as you describe actually do vote?
It depends on how many buses are available on election day.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Everyone who is a citizen should be allowed to vote, including prisoners and convicted felons. If you're a citizen of this country, you have a stake in its future, and the government should not be allowed to take that away, by any means.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Define recipient class.

I'm guessing that you mean welfare recipients.

I'm also guessing that under Constitutional Law, it wouldn't be possible to pass such an amendment without also including others who are paid with tax dollars.
I suppose you could describe it as the creation of an official and invisibly branded underclass. Another big step down that slippery slope to dictatorship.

I wish people would think of ALL the concequences of ideas they propose. Would this mean that when you lose your job you lose your right to vote when you get some kind of goverment aide to survive? I'm sure it would be a FAR broader measure than just welfare.

We seem to have a hatred of those who for Whatever reason have become poor as if it was all a deliberate act.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Everyone who is a citizen should be allowed to vote, including prisoners and convicted felons. If you're a citizen of this country, you have a stake in its future, and the government should not be allowed to take that away, by any means.

The US and Britain are unique amongst democracies in not letting prisoners vote. This should be done away with. Many of the problems that exist in the US are fueled by low voter turnout. Increasing the number of voters would make for a healthier democratic republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies