Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
To set the record (and the name) straight, right to work for less doesn’t guarantee any rights. In fact, by weakening unions and collective bargaining, it destroys the best job security protection that exists: the union contract. Meanwhile, it allows workers to pay nothing and get all the benefits of union membership. Right to work laws say unions must represent all eligible employees, whether they pay dues or not. This forces unions to use their time and members’ dues money to provide union benefits to free riders who are not willing to pay their fair share.

Right to Work for Less

Is that accurate? Unions are forced to give free services?? How the hell have they been getting away with that crap???
I agree...... I was in Unions for years........the FREE RIDERS certainly did NOT hesitate to reap any benefits that the dues paying members fought for and paid for......double standard rip offs.

If you truly don't believe in unions than don't take any of the benefits while your not paying your dues or putting in your time. In other words....Don't take what you ain't paying for and don't take anything from an organization you feel is wrong....it's just that simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Love to hear from a fella cracker (please look this up before calling me a racist)... hear in miama we doin fine.. but wy dey want us to becom lik all de otters? We does our best edumacating all dis rabble but we don't get any respekt!
I thought cracker was a reference to the slave owner cracking the whip? That was what Malcom X said in his autobiography

Old 03-21-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Even if that's not accurate, it should work that way.

That is the unions vision for America.
No it should not work that way. That is the way cons want it to work and that alone is enough to know it's a bad idea. Well actually cons would probably like to ban unions outright but they'd be some Constitional issues there so they settle for this.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 AM

The idea here is that unions get weaker. Less people paying dues the less money coming in. That's the whole idea. It has nothing to do with any rights of the worker, nothing at all

A related question here. Why isn't union dues allowed to be used for political campaigns?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I will be paying property taxes till the day I die or cant afford them and my home is taken from me. this is wrong but the public employees unions must have their lifetime pensions and health care. thats the way it is folks live with it. vote and vote for freedom to live on the earth without supporting these leeches
They shouldn't have pensions or healthcare because you pay property taxes?? Care to clue is in on what one has to do with the other?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no

what you have is most people have seen that unions have done nothing but destroy the workingclass during the last 30-40 years..the days of unions being the 'goodguy' have long past..... and most except for the BOUGHT AND PAID FOR LIBERAL FASCISTS can see that
Blaming the unions doesn't make it the unions fault. Though obviously you can hoodwink people into believing it and that has been done.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
If you truly don't believe in unions than don't take any of the benefits while your not paying your dues or putting in your time. In other words....Don't take what you ain't paying for and don't take anything from an organization you feel is wrong....it's just that simple!
So if an individual can negotiate the perks themselves, you have no problem with that right? That is how it happens in my state. You negotiate your worth on your own merit. Anyone that is an above average employee would prefer that method logically. Anyone who is not above average, well, they now have motivation to better themselves.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
In every Union job I have ever had;

1) My pay was higher

2) The workers were at a higher level of training and skill

3) The quality of the work produced was done at a much higher standard,

4) The work conditions were cleaner and safer.

5) There was less worker turn around

6) The management was much more responsive to the problems of the workers.

Real bad things them unions.
And how many non-union jobs did you have in order to make such comparisons?

I have union friends who made the same claims until the union out priced themselves and the only jobs available were non-union. To a man they each recanted their previous biased opinions.

If unions in the private sector are so great, why have membership declined in the last 20 years? And don't say because there are less jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies