Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
When big business hires people that have no choice but to stay at a bad job, and then hire folks overseas when they think they're paying Americans too much, that's when the "free market' does not work.
who doesn't have a choice besides prisoners and slaves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
Yes, some companies may in fact leave our country.

Good.

Because that will allow small companies to get big, and new companies to start, right here, in the good ole US of A.
A rare point of disagreement... some Americans may, in fact, leave our country. Good for them. I've about had my fill of the right wing "its all your own fault you aren't a CEO". They have to say that because there is no refuge when what you are fleeing is still regarded as a First World utopia. When you are leaving Tijuana that's a short order cook job of a completely different color.Still and all, some Americans are mighty resourceful. More power to them.
H

Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

The R party formed in the 1850s. More recently they took over the house in 2010.

Anyway, the question was "why didn't Obama and the Dem controlled House and Senate do something about keeping illegals out when they had the opportunity?"

Do you have any ideas?
Do you live in a cave? Under a rock, perhaps? I know your internet connection works, even if you do, because you're here typing nonsense.
Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration

"In a bid to remake the enforcement of federal immigration laws, the Obama administration is deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants and auditing hundreds of businesses that blithely hire undocumented workers.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency expects to deport about 400,000 people this fiscal year, nearly 10 percent above the Bush administration's 2008 total and 25 percent more than were deported in 2007. The pace of company audits has roughly quadrupled since President George W. Bush's final year in office."
I would love to know why you seem to want to remain ignorant of facts. Is it because they don't suit your political agenda? Because if that's the case, the only one you're hurting by staying blind to reality is yourself. It's one thing to have a conservative perspective on politics. I can respect that. What I can't and won't respect is willful ignorance.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
A company isn't in business to hire people it may not need. It is not in business to create jobs unless that job brings them a profit.
So why continue the low tax rates for them??? If their product is worthwhile then they'll hire regardless of the tax rate. They can learn to tighten their belt or work harder, longer hours just like the rest of us.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
who doesn't have a choice besides prisoners and slaves?
A real choice, not the illusion of choice.

Basically if your options are crappy job and being exploited and bullied vs. being unemployed, most people choose the crappy job. Its not really a choice though.

Choice means there are two or more options that could have reasonably good outcomes. Many people, especially in this economy don't have any good options that make a choice viable due to family or responsibilities, or lack of options.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I used to spend many Saturday mornings as a child watching the antics of Wile E. Coyote and Sam, the henhouse watchdog. All day long Sam would thwart evermore ingenious attempts by Wile E. (not so much) to gain access to the chicken coop. Until the 5:00pm whistle that is. Once the 'day' was over both were revealed as having simply played the part of being combatants and would presumably go home to interests elsewhere. I never got the impression that they would stop for a beer together before heading home nor would their families ever get together over long weekends. Still there was a polite respect (lacking here since there is no "quitting time as such") one for the other when it wasn't "on". I'm glad I get to play the part of a card carrying Liberal on this board. At least I don't have anything to apologize for if one of my kids should discover this forum and see my username. "It's just an act" doesn't always cut it with one's offspring.

H

Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
When minimum wage goes up, EVERYONES wages go up.. because you increase the qualifications for those to earn minimum wage
Really? Give me an example.

The average burger flipper is the same guy who they hired back in 1980 to flip burgers. I've seen no evidence otherwise.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times

One of the big lies. Give rich people more money and then there will be more jobs.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? Give me an example.

The average burger flipper is the same guy who they hired back in 1980 to flip burgers. I've seen no evidence otherwise.
Effects of Minimum Wages on Teenage Employment, Enrollment and Idleness | EPI Study

Inside the labor market, higher minimum wages affect the composition of the minimum wage work force, reducing the employability of less skilled workers. At the same time, higher minimum wages may accelerate the rate at which youths terminate their formal schooling. Limitations of the data preclude this study from following individual workers for more than two years, so we do not know if they ultimately acquire additional education. We do know, however, that declines in the level of educational attainment are associated with declines in lifetime earnings.

So to sum it up.. higher minimum wages, encourages less schooling, which results in lower lifetime earnings..

Old 03-24-2011, 01:56 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So to sum it up.. higher minimum wages, encourages less schooling, which results in lower lifetime earnings..
Minimal wages are a "problem" only because there is an influx of desperate people who are willing to work for nothing. If employers had no illegals to hire, minimum wage would be no problem.
America's economy seems not to be able to exist without some kind of "slaves" that can be exploited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies