Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,333,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Right,, so your laziness is more important than a childs life?

Wow. I will keep that in mind when I backhand your child for saying something I find offensive. After all, what I want to do is way more important than what is best for the child.

Why should I care about your kid if you are to selfish too care about anothers? It is not very hard to Not take PBJ to school

My kids have NO allergies whatsoever but I certainly understand why I should not bring things that can make them ill.
What happens if you're dealing with a family that can't afford to send anything but PB&J? Guess maybe they shouldn't be allowed to eat at school.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,956,264 times
We too would do whatever we needed to do to accommodate that little one. I would also recommend an eastern treatment for allergy elimination, NAET. It's a little out there, and I was once skeptical, until I saw it with my own eyes and others saw it with their own eyes work miracles on a child with some serious allergies.

You'd seriously backhand someone else's child? I'm sure you wouldn't do that.

Quote:
Right,, so your laziness is more important than a childs life?

Wow. I will keep that in mind when I backhand your child for saying something I find offensive. After all, what I want to do is way more important than what is best for the child.

Why should I care about your kid if you are to selfish too care about anothers? It is not very hard to Not take PBJ to school

My kids have NO allergies whatsoever but I certainly understand why I should not bring things that can make them ill.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,831,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
How do you stop a child from munching on peanuts during class because they don't know any better? Do you think a teacher can catch everything that happens in her or his classroom?
If, as a teacher, you can't control your kids that they are eating in class...you should change professions. I never allow food in my class. I may not catch EVERYTHING, I do catch food. Most teachers (even newbies) can easily catch food.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
What happens if you're dealing with a family that can't afford to send anything but PB&J? Guess maybe they shouldn't be allowed to eat at school.
If they are that poor, they would be on subsidized lunch.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
If they are that poor, they would be on subsidized lunch.
Yeah right. Clearly, you haven't been following the thousands of stories about families who make just over the qualifying line for free or subsidized lunches. Don't know where you live but here in FL, Orlando specifically, there was an article in the Sentinel about families who don't qualify for food stamps, or lunch programs because of their income but due to rising costs of everything else they can't afford food. A family of four must make less than 40K a year to qualify for subsidized lunch.

So once again, what do you tell that family who can't afford to send anything but PB&J for lunch? Get a better job? Quit your job and get food stamps?

I'm not against trying to make school safe for the little girl but that shouldn't be done at the expense nor inconvenience of other students and their families. I'm all for the hand washing and no food in the classroom, even the wiping of desks and shared classroom items but a ban on all peanut products is crazy. This is setting a precedent that might cause more trouble then it's worth down the line.

Last edited by nat_at772; 03-27-2011 at 10:53 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,307,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
If, as a teacher, you can't control your kids that they are eating in class...you should change professions. I never allow food in my class. I may not catch EVERYTHING, I do catch food. Most teachers (even newbies) can easily catch food.
ha, most parents can barely keep track of their 1-2 kids 24/7. you're expecting teachers to keep track of 12-20+ kids every second they spend w/ them? highly unlikely.

very young kids may not go out of their way to sneak foods, but think about this girls classmates. if this is a small school, it's likely they'll spend years w/ this girl. years of constant scrub downs, dog searches, and peanut bans. someone is going to rebel in that class and bring in a Payday bar or something else w/ peanuts and it will be the death of that child b/c she'll likely have her guard down b/c of all these over-the-top measures the school is taking

I wonder how far this will go. will field trips be banned because the destination may have peanuts? so long trips to the zoo, aquarium, even museums (all of these places have food courts or restaurants where exposure to nuts is likely). is that class expressly forbidden to hang out w/ other classmates at the school? or is the entire school under the ban? when Parent Teacher Night comes along, will the parents need to scrub down if the child is present? what about visiting guests to the school? what's going to happen to her when she enters a less forgiving high school? college? work force? I'm sorry, but if the girl is so allergic that the very smell of peanuts can trigger a deadly reaction, she's not going to survive long in the real world where not everyone she meets or everywhere she goes will be peanut free.

Last edited by eevee; 03-27-2011 at 11:12 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 11:01 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,115,504 times
Quote:
I call Bull Shyz because there are plenty of other nutritious foods you can take to school that will not kill your kids friend.

And yes, I WOULD backhand another persons kid. If you cannot teach your child manners (and judging by some of the comments here that lack compassion for a sick child you won't be) then I will be happy to. And before you claim to call the cops on me, you would never be able to prove it. So try again.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah right. Clearly, you haven't been following the thousands of stories about families who make just over the qualifying line for free or subsidized lunches. Don't know where you live but here in FL, Orlando specifically, there was an article in the Sentinel about families who don't qualify for food stamps, or lunch programs because of their income but due to rising costs of everything else they can't afford food. A family of four must make less than 40K a year to qualify for subsidized lunch.

So once again, what do you tell that family who can't afford to send anything but PB&J for lunch? Get a better job? Quit your job and get food stamps?

I'm not against trying to make school safe for the little girl but that shouldn't be done at the expense nor inconvenience of other students and their families. I'm all for the hand washing and no food in the classroom, even the wiping of desks and shared classroom items but a ban on all peanut products is crazy. This is setting a precedent that might cause more trouble then it's worth down the line.
If they can't afford ham and cheese and only peanut butter, I would assume they make less than 40k a year. The cost should be bearable for the kid to have a Lunchable. At my nephew's elementary school, school lunches cost about $3. I think that if they cannot afford $3 then they most likely would qualify for free lunch.

I think that monitoring what her friends in the vicinity are eating is reasonable
(have them finish lunch, then they can play). I also think advising the parents to consider other lunch sources is reasonable as well.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ha, most parents can barely keep track of their 1-2 kids 24/7. you're expecting teachers to keep track of 12-20+ kids every second they spend w/ them? highly unlikely.
I'm a teacher. That's my job. I get to paid for classroom management. Snaking in the classroom is RULE 1. This isn't advance theories of education. This is simply basic classroom management. If your kids have that much time to pull something out of their backpacks, hide it, and finish...you have WAY to much lag time in the classroom. If you can't hear crunching sounds and see your kid eating...you're not paying attention to the class. It's pretty easy. Trust me.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I call Bull Shyz because there are plenty of other nutritious foods you can take to school that will not kill your kids friend.

And yes, I WOULD backhand another persons kid. If you cannot teach your child manners (and judging by some of the comments here that lack compassion for a sick child you won't be) then I will be happy to. And before you claim to call the cops on me, you would never be able to prove it. So try again.

You can call bull **** all you want to but there have been plenty of times my son has taken PB&J because that's all we had in the cabinets. There have been months when that's what both of us took for lunch. So unless the school is willing to accept the responsibility of making sure that every parent is able to send their child an adequate lunch then I don't believe it should be banned.

And as far as the ridiculousness of you backhanding someone's child; if it were mine you wouldn't have to worry about me calling the police. You would have to worry about them showing up fast enough once I heard that you hit my child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies