Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,713,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
This is shameful.... I don't understand how these soldiers would do such a thing, then think they could get away with it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368314/German-newspaper-publishes-suppressed-photos-U-S-soldiers-posing-partially-naked-Afghan-corpse.html

These soldiers are currently going through a court martial. Commanders bracing for public fury.
Shame on those soldiers for acting like the killers they were trained to be!

At least let them take their ear collections home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 PM

7,115 posts, read 8,598,569 times
In every group where you have thousands of people you will have a small percentage of sickos, bad apples,devients etc....They should be punished as well as their up-line of immediate supperiors (whether they knew or not,they should have known).The president, Bush or Obama are not responsible and are left to deal with a pr. nightmare!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,142,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Nope, I don't give credit for anyone who volunteers for war. It's not a video game.
Cut me a break - I've worked around the military for most of my career and am a vet.
People want to play war, then they're unbelievably stupid.
Well said chiel....
As vet I have seen the hell you walk into. Unlike the movies its not glorious and no one is running up to you calling you hero.
Most who voluteer do so under the illusion that they will be brave and strong and everyone will love them for it.
In reality you volunteer to be a tool for our civilian leadership who really doesnt care about individual losses unless its their own.
I am proud of my service and will never regret my choices. But I will not sit here and glorify my kills.
Its unfortunate that so many equate war with glory.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,377,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If you don't know, or you do know and you don't want to say, just say so. I make no apologies here for anyone, but it's interesting what happens when someone asks a simple question around here.

Does anyone really expect that we can send a bunch of 20-somethings in to hell and not expect a few to lose their humanity? These events are exceptions to the rule and they're being punished for it. It isn't as if they're being praised for their actions.
Look at what we ask these boys to do.
Send them home. Get them help.
Love them 'till they're better.

Only one person has the power to stop this.
The blood is on his hands.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,165,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It IS a big deal, for anybody who claims to operate on a higher moral ground.
Absolutely true, it is a huge deal, but its also true it happens in every war since cameras. Soldiers take souveniers too.

It's a measure of what is doing to us and the young men and women sent there to fight. Would they have considered a picture next to a dead body before? Likely not. A friend of mine tells me how her son is changing, how much he has come to dispise and hate people and there is nothing to say.

And it has been previously established that its a big deal even if you don't claim to take the high ground. A number of war crimes trials got convictions based on tourist like photos of atrocities which were actually illegal to take during ww2. But if soldiers have cameras they will take pictures of things. Today all you need is a decent camera phone.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,006,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
This has happened with every country in every war that has ever happened. Not that big of a deal.
It's called "winning hearts and minds." Something you must do in order to win people over to your side.

So i'm sorry, but it IS a big deal.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,781,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
This is shameful.... I don't understand how these soldiers would do such a thing, then think they could get away with it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368314/German-newspaper-publishes-suppressed-photos-U-S-soldiers-posing-partially-naked-Afghan-corpse.html

These soldiers are currently going through a court martial. Commanders bracing for public fury.
It is shameful. At least our military is holding our soldiers accountable via court martial.

What has happened to the honor code in the US military?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:48 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,006,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is shameful. At least our military is holding our soldiers accountable via court martial.

What has happened to the honor code in the US military?
It's still there and is adhered to by most. But in war it's really easy to get things skewed a bit. After all, if you've just killed someone, taking a pic with the dead body doesn't seem to be much of a stretch.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,988,040 times
I wonder if some of you guys call them idiots for doing these alleged crimes in the first place or for only doing a bad job covering it up. Hmm?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,904,516 times
thats pretty damn gruesome. i bet those guys off themselves when they get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies