Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 01:51 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Right, at the inception of this country, the people who founded it shared a belief that white people around the world believed. How dare the Founding Fathers not be perfect! How dare they start the world on a path where we've evolved to include all people dwelling in America! The problem with visionaries is that they aren't all-seeing. They have a glimpse of a better world, but they aren't gods. They help humanity to achieve that better place, but it isn't heaven. So we should lambaste the visionaries for not being more perfect?
Oh, please. BASIC HUMANITY deemed their treatment of Africans as wrong. They were no strangers to ill treatment. They knew what it meant (and how it felt!) to be oppressed. It explains why they even left their home countries to venture out to new lands. They let greed color their judgment and, as a result, it leaves a stain on their accomplishments. The same applies to America. It is a great country, however the mistreatment of the natives and and African slaves leaves a stain that will never be whipped clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 01:52 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm trying to show you that it is not logical to lump a good person with a bad person simply because they share the same skin color. Big difference between Levar Burton(from Reading Rainbow) and Tookie Williams(the guy who formed the Crips). Big difference. Lumping those two together because they are Black is not logical or rational. It is based on fear, lack of critical thinking, and one's own decision to hold bigoted, prejudice views. That is something I choose not to do.
At one time....neither did I.....now, everything is about race.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol @ "people like me."

You probably don't even pay taxes.
ASSume. <ROLL EYES>.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I named 2 prominent examples who seem to feel that they speak for the black community in this country do they not? I've also given examples in the work place as well. Secondly, who is denying you in discussing your history, or black history. All I'm saying is don't always believe in the bull**** that a text book taught you. Otherwise, you may as well just believe that Christopher Columbus discovered America.

Nope. Not guilty. I've done nothing wrong. Nor have my ancestors.
"Who seem."

Did they SAY that they spoke for all blacks?
Quote:
Hmmm... knuckleheads like Al Sharpton and Louis Fahrakan come to mind. I've worked around many black people in my day, and were friends with quite a few of them, and yes there were a few that I worked with who indeed had the "blame whitey" attitude, as well as posters here who have it. On the other hand, where I live the black families in my particular neighborhood (some of their kids are good friends with my son, and come over to play frequently) don't spew that type of nonsense. I also DJ'd a predominantly black night club in my area in the early 2000s. Had a lot of fun in doing so.

I will say that I have to agree with Petch in regards to dwelling on the past. We're in the here and now. Live for the moment, because life is too damn short to be angry about something you had no control of.
Just as many whites blame blacks for their problems. Actually, I'd venture to say even more whites as a percentage play the victim card.
Quote:
Sure, the potential is there, it means the government is less intrusive. Like I said, life isn't always fair, and nothing in life is guaranteed, so there is no guarantee that your children would have the same luxuries as Bill Gate's children. That's something we all have to figure out how to obtain on our own.
So then we DON'T all have the same opportunities.

Money and connections count for something my Buckeye buddy!

You're being naive if you think otherwise.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said they were more precious. I'm saying this: If no one is paying taxes, no money for ANYTHING, and in time, those who can't live off of the land will have a hard time surviving.
I am looking forward to that day.

I believe in starving the beast. (the government)

Old 05-29-2014, 01:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Not gonna happen. Probably ever. American history is STEEPED in the mistreatment of minorities. Thanks to slavery, racism is as American as apple pie.
Won't happen if people don't want it to happen. But I believe that people do want it to happen. That people of all walks of life want a better world, a world where a person is judged on his own merits, not on his bank account, not on his name, not on the color of his skin, but on his own merits. I believe that human beings are innately good, and that's why, despite our faults, despite how we let our fears get the best of us, that humanity has progressed. We strive to do better because we know we can be better. If we look at the world and seek out what connects us, what we have in common, we do that from a place of mutual respect. But that's what unites us and makes us strong. It's our ability to connect that allows the human race to survive and to thrive. It's innate, and it's what's good about us. It's what we call our humanity.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Oh, please. BASIC HUMANITY deemed their treatment of Africans as wrong. They were no strangers to ill treatment. They knew what it meant (and how it felt!) to be oppressed. It explains why they even left their home countries to venture out to new lands. They let greed color their judgment and, as a result, it leaves a stain on their accomplishments. The same applies to America. It is a great country, however the mistreatment of the natives and and African slaves leaves a stain that will never be whipped clean.
I thought we already established it was wrong and you are still going on about it! lol, wow.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why should everything be about race? What good does it do? Why not think critically? What happened to individualism and personal responsibility?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Not gonna happen. Probably ever. American history is STEEPED in the mistreatment of minorities. Thanks to slavery, racism is as American as apple pie.
Then move to some Muslim country. Move to some African country, is there a better history there?

Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
lol, they are enjoying their time in the spotlight. A few more years and the politicians will drop them like a hot potato and we'll be on to the next group. I suspect sexism will be next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies