Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,536,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The founding fathers were progressive. Although some of them may have owned slaves, they oppossed it, and they hoped that this country would find a way to flourish without depending on slavery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRJCm...e_gdata_player
The Founding Fathers debated the issue of slavery at lenght during the convention when they ended up with the Constitution.

In some cases it seems some realized it was not morally right. However, in the end they had in mind to have a republic and eventually the issue of slavery be resolved. They wanted to ensure of the new nation despite the ugly issue of slavery.

They also debate the issue of individual rights and compromise in later include them in the Constitution thus later the Bill of Rights became part of the Constitution.

There were not enough delegates that would not go along with the Constitution so other had to compromise on the issue and hope the in the future the problem would be resolved. Actually, there were some compromises on slavery so the Constitution would be ratified.

The same can be said about women in voting.

They wanted to make sure the nation could have the best solid grounds to start and the economic strenght to stay together and they did.

Was this compromise at the expense of blacks, definitely! Not right but in the long run the nation stayed together and became what we are now.

The Spirit of the Constitution was expressed in a way so it became an experiment that needed to address issues in the nation as time went by. Little by little those issue becamse resolved and we are still struggling with issues. It was not written to correct all human problems they had at the time because if they had written it that way, we as a nation may not have existed at all. Who know what we would be today.
In my opinion they had great vision in dealing with this and other issues as best as they could under the circumstance and came up with a great document.
That document has become a modle for other nations to learn from. They as a group came up with a system of government that overall has shown to be very effective, take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM

334 posts, read 187,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I think this position is a cop-out. If slavery wasn't considered a bad thing, why were people opposed to it? Why did many die in their effort to abolish it? IMO, morality is not a 20th century invention.
It's gone now though. I'm not going to take the heat for it, I'm not going to apologize for it, and if it's up to me I'm not going to compensate for it either.

In fact, WHITES, not blacks, made slavery end. So it's fine to hate the older generations, but a later one was the one that freed the slaves. I always see folks talk about slavery, but they never talk about all those who fought and died to free the slaves. Instead, many hate all whites.

I have to say though. If I were alive then and I knew what I know now, there is no way in hell I'd lift a finger to go into battle for it. It seems every time throughout history that whites have done something to try and improve the lives of blacks in this country, we're treated even worse. The fact of the matter is slave owners were an extreme minority. Instead of blacks hating whites, they should be thankful. Because without the majority of whites standing up and saying "no more", blacks would still be slaves.

Again, I don't wish slavery on anyone, but I wouldn't lift a finger to fight against it if I was alive then, and knew what I know now.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,049,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
They were walking contradictions. Thomas Jefferson may have opposed slavery on blacks, but he still saw us biologically inferior. A true racist. So F all of them!
This is pretty much where i stand. Bygones are bygones....but i don't lionize any of them.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,413,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is pretty much where i stand. Bygones are bygones....but i don't lionize any of them.
Quite ironic that you feel this way about whites and the FF's, but you have such a soft spot in you for Muslims, which by the way, were the first group of people to enslave blacks and brought that notion to the rest of the world. Quite ironic to say the least.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Quite ironic that you feel this way about whites and the FF's, but you have such a soft spot in you for Muslims, which by the way, were the first group of people to enslave blacks and brought that notion to the rest of the world. Quite ironic to say the least.
Soft spot for Muslims? Interesting....i do?

The Muslims who you're talking about are white BTW.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,172,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The FF's were victims of the culture of that time plain and simple. The greatest of people have their faults.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,739,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
At the time it was NOT a problem. It was the way the world worked. Slavery still exists today in parts of the world. It is part of nature.
If slavery wasn't seen as a problem, why did the federal government pass a law in 1807 to ban slave trade?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The FF's were victims of the culture of that time plain and simple. The greatest of people have their faults.
If the "greatest of people" are so great, then recognize that i'm a man. And i don't buy the victim stuff anymore than you buy the proclamations of being a victim for people of contemporary times. They knew better. They had their Bibles, didn't they?

So as that other poster said, if someone sees me as biologically inferior, "F them!"

Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,275,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Brazil, Cuba, and many island in the Carribean had slavery too and for a longer period than the US.
You are absolutely correct as far as Cuba but not by much. However, most of the Caribbean Islands eliminated slavery long before the United States did. Jamaica, Barbados, Grenada, and the British Virgin Islands ended slavery in 1834. French Saint Martin ended slavery in 1848 and what is now the U.S Virgin Islands, while it ended in Dutch Saint Martin in 1868.

Keep in mind the topic of discussion in this thread is specifically the Founding Fathers and Slavery.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 03-23-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 12:20 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,206,113 times
The OP is either misinformed or full of it. Nearly all the Founding Fathers had slaves, although some manumitted, and there was a schism between those who considered eventually emancipating slaves and those who saw it as a vital system. They spoke like angels but often behaved like devils. Do not allow whitewashing and propaganda to spit on real American history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies