Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,273,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I know for a fact that many youth voters voted for Obama because he successfully painted himself as the anti-Bush, as in he was anti-war. ut he's escalating the Afghanistan conflict, and now with Libya he's vunerable in a debate because asides from healthcare, Obama now is in Bush's 3rd term, so to speak. Not to mention he's the absentee president, when the going gets tough, go on vacation or go to NCAA basketball games.

I think Obama's greatest threat to his 2nd term chances are gonna come from a primary challenge, and I think Hillary is positioning herself to battle Obama in the primary. And if I remember the exit polls correctly, Hillary split the moderate vote with Obama, so this time around, Hillary has a real shot of winning the primary since I think she appeals a lot more to moderates. The students by and large, might stay home cause "the cool man" is turning out to be another warmonger. I'm starting to think that Obama's days are numbered. We're into April already, which means the primaries are coming up fast
A very good point. Primaries are often won by the more politically involved. Those who are diehard libs will just stay home, either sending a message to him to shape up for the general (working under the assumption he'll win the nomination). Perhaps Obama strategists are downplaying a primary upset even more than libs staying home in the general?

I still think the general is a huge challenge. Not because of libs turning to Republicans (not going to happen), but because of the loss of ACORN busing people into the polls and this recent escapade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Interesting to see the approval numbers:

Democrats who approve: 51%
Republicans who approve: 57%

I would have figured it's the other way around, judging by the comments from the hard-right faction of this forum.

Americans Approve of Military Action Against Libya, 47% to 37%

How does that change the fact that Obama acted illegally and engaged in a war without congressional backing? That's an impeachable offense....

Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I would have figured it's the other way around, judging by the comments from the hard-right faction of this forum.

LOL, you are confusing liberal Bill Kristol type neo-cons with RP conservatives and non-interventionists.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:26 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,915,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
A very good point. Primaries are often won by the more politically involved. Those who are diehard libs will just stay home. Perhaps Obama strategists are downplaying a primary upset even more than libs staying home in the general?

I still think the general is a huge challenge. Not because of libs turning to Republicans (not going to happen), but because of the loss of ACORN busing people into the polls and this recent escapade.
It's a well-known fact that liberals are not as politically involved as the posters on here might think they are. They are the smallest electoral group in this country, after all. It's the moderate voters in the Democrat Party that make all the difference. If that weren't the case, we'd see Bernie Sanders types always winning in the Democrat primary, but we don't.

DOn't forget also, the SEIU has a RICO lawsuit pending against them as well, so they are gonna have to expend a lot of money fighting this, as we know RICO is no small charge by any means. Polling also indicates that the GOP is winning about 10 points ahead of Dems in the Generic Ballot, which means more Dem losses in 2012.

All we need in 2012 is a strong enough Republican to tear Obama down, in case he does win. I don't think Hillary has a shot of winning in 2012, polling still shows that Obama is the best they have, and he's bungling things up badly. But we'll see when the time comes. I think we're gonna get the Independent vote this time around.

Remember when the liberals and NewsWeek were writing the epitaph of the GOP back in 2008? I remember everyone saying, the GOP is going the way of the dinosaur, they are irrelevant, etc. My how things can change

Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's a well-known fact that liberals are not as politically involved as the posters on here might think they are. They are the smallest electoral group in this country, after all. It's the moderate voters in the Democrat Party that make all the difference. If that weren't the case, we'd see Bernie Sanders types always winning in the Democrat primary, but we don't.

DOn't forget also, the SEIU has a RICO lawsuit pending against them as well, so they are gonna have to expend a lot of money fighting this, as we know RICO is no small charge by any means. Polling also indicates that the GOP is winning about 10 points ahead of Dems in the Generic Ballot, which means more Dem losses in 2012.

All we need in 2012 is a strong enough Republican to tear Obama down, in case he does win. I don't think Hillary has a shot of winning in 2012, polling still shows that Obama is the best they have, and he's bungling things up badly. But we'll see when the time comes. I think we're gonna get the Independent vote this time around.

Remember when the liberals and NewsWeek were writing the epitaph of the GOP back in 2008? I remember everyone saying, the GOP is going the way of the dinosaur, they are irrelevant, etc. My how things can change
Also, if Hillary makes any sort of legitimate run, it will certainly deplete the coffers on the Obama side running up to the general. With SEIU funds depleted, ACORN essentially gone, and Obama having to regenerate the money lost fighting for the nomination, well it'll be interesting.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,976,275 times
This will change. Wars usually start out semi-popular because at first the masses believe the BS reasons we're there. After we send in ground troops and approach our year mark there let me know what the poll numbers are. We're in three unnecessary wars. The people are going to, if they are not already, war weary.

I thought the government was broke? There's no money for books and band aids, why is there always money for bombs and bullets? People voted for Obama because he claimed to be the candidate of peace and anti-war. Turns out he's just an empty suit who will say and do anything to get elected. Just another corporate war machine hack.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,847,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Which party do Conservatives tend to vote for?

There are those Conservative that are NEVER going to approve of anything President Obama does.

If President Obama chose to decide not to do anything with regard to Libya he would have been blamed for any atrocities that Gadaffi committed.

Presdent Obama's job approval ratings are much higher among Democrats and Independents than it is amongst Republicans as you'd expect.
Conservatives are NEVER going to approve of anything Obama does because he's not going to do anything conservative, image that logic!

His job approval ratings are higher among Democrats because they will support him no matter what he does, wrong or right.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,127,153 times
I don't believe that BS poll. Every single person I know, conservative, liberal, moderate is against this involvement. A 3rd go-round? Please.......BS poll.....Sounds like a fix, pure propaganda in the worse degree to me.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,994,323 times
Quote:

If you go to the Yahoo article (with over 92k comments) and read through the pages, every single person is against this action. I don't believe this poll.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
If you go to the Yahoo article (with over 92k comments) and read through the pages, every single person is against this action. I don't believe this poll.
Are you opposed to this new war that Obama has gotten us into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies